1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug in without battery upgrade

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Robert Kaus, May 20, 2013.

1. Robert Kaus

Robert Kaus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 Prius that I've owned for about a year and a half and I live in central Texas. I love the car, but my only beef is the way the computer manages the air conditioner. It is so hot here in the summer, it is very difficult to get by without blasting the a/c, but if you do, the stupid computer will let it run the battery almost all the way down and it will hold it at that level for some reason (unless I get on the highway, then it will charge it up). This, of course, makes the car much less drivable (because the engine is trying to charge and power the car at the same time) in the summer and I have to leave it overnight with the battery run down really low (which concerns me, but maybe that isn't harmful to the battery). Since most of my trips are short distances, I think it would be useful if I could plug it in when I get home and recharge the battery since the car's computer insists on running it mostly discharged in the summer - that way the next day, I have some leeway before the a/c discharges my battery when I take the car out again. Can you buy a charging system for the factory battery?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To answer your question, yes. You can charge the traction battery independent from the HSD as you want to do.

However, you don't need it at all. The car takes care of all of that. It won't force charge the battery just because you want to see it in the blue. It will be the most efficient possible. When you are on the highway, there are times when the system is generating a bit extra, so it goes to the battery and recharges it. The only time the car will charge up is when it gets to 1 bar.

Toyota purposefully keeps the battery between 40% and 80%. This is for super long life, the happy capacity of te NiMH chemistry. So when you see 1 bar (pink/purple) you are really only at 40% capacity. When you see all green bars, completely full, you are really only at 80%. Storing the battery at 40% is not a problem.

The AC is a large electric load, so it will always run your battery down quickly. It will also eat your fuel economy. Nothing you can do about it. Pre-charging is a waste of time and resources. The pack is so small it is not designed for that.