1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-ins and flats, what's the course of action?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by burritos, May 19, 2009.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is waiting for a tow to the nearest tire shop your only option? That is if you decide not to carry the spare in the hatch trunk space?

1 person likes this.
  2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am pretty sure that with the HyMotion plug-in conversion you have to chuck the spare and call the truck.

This was tossed around here and that was the conclusion.

1 person likes this.
  3. syncmacd

syncmacd Waxing is Relaxing

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you're willing to sacrifice the tire you could carry a cannister of Fix-a-Flat in your car. After you attach it to the tire it inflates the tire and puts out this goo that will fill most small punctures. The tire doesn't inflate all the way but it is good enough to get to the car shop. The downside is that you can't use the tire anymore as it will seal the tire nozzle. Sometimes a tire can be repaired at the autoshop, but not after using the Fix-a-Flat.

I would recommend jacking the tire up a bit so there's not as much pressure on the tire; even so the tire looked a bit flat at the end.

1 person likes this.
  4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since I don't carry around anything or haul stuff I keep my spare strapped down in the back using the straps that came with the car. Works great and I still put stuff on top. My jack and tools are wedged underneath the Hymotion exhaust duct. Thats not recommended but it works.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I do what TheForce does. And I carry a can of fix-a-flat.

1 person likes this.
  6. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At the moment my spare is underneath my batteries, but when the new battery case is finished I doubt it's going to be possible to lift the batteries out single-handed to get to it...

1 person likes this.
  7. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Just wait until the tweel from michelin comes out. It's a tire with no air and can never go flat. There are also run flat tires but I don't think they are as energy efficient. The EV1 used to have run flat tires si it didn't need to carry a spare.

1 person likes this.