1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-ins do they make sense?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kirbinster, May 4, 2006.

1. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

A gallon of normal gasoline contains about 112,000 btu's. Electricity only contains 3,412 btu per kwh. If gasoline is $3 per gallon electricity would have to cost less than 9 cents per kwh to give you as much bang for your buck. Don't know about where you guys live, but in my neck of the woods electricity goes for about 15 cents a kwh. That equates to gasoline at $4.92 a gallon. So, how does plugging in a hybrid save me money?

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster @ May 4 2006, 03:00 PM) [snapback]249904[/snapback]</div>
    Saving money is only one small benefit. This isn't ALL about "what's in it for me." But I'll tell you how it saves money - electric motors are substantially more efficient than gasoline engines. A real-world example: My Rav4EV holds less than 1 gallon of gasoline worth of energy in its batteries. I can drive about 120 miles on that energy... which means My boxy little car gets BETTER than 120mpg of gasoline equivalent energy. Put it in a Prius body, and I'd see 180-200 mpg.

A gasoline engine is 15-20% efficient at putting the energy in the tank to the pavement. An EV is over 90% efficient at putting the energy in the batteries to the pavement. If I actually paid for my electricity at the grid rates, my "gasoline equivalent" of energy works out to about 50c/gallon.

Make more sense now? Very few things are as simple as they first seem.

Add the social, political and pollution parts to the equation, and EVs win big.

3. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    EVs can be based on renewable energy (photovoltaic, hydro, wind) and are not dependent on finite energy sources (oil, coal). EVs can operate independent of outside energy sources and instead can operate on energy sources close to home. EVs are not dependent on centralized energy production because they can make use of distributed energy production (solar, hydro, wind), and are not limited to hundreds of millions years old fossil fuels.

4. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ May 4 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]249912[/snapback]</div>
    Say, Skruse... are you married? ;)

5. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 4 2006, 03:32 PM) [snapback]249919[/snapback]</div>
    I think "Skruse" has been brainwashed by your many EV threads... so did most of us... :lol:

6. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Another thing to consider is that power plants can be fueled with coal, nuclear, or natural gas---things you can't burn in cars. (Well, there are a few natural-gas vehicles.)

And it's easier to limit pollution from a few hundred power plants than from millions of cars.

7. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 4 2006, 07:16 PM) [snapback]249946[/snapback]</div>

That's the logic that got me to build an all-electric home in 1981. The government is still trying to get power plants to clean up their act.

8. EricGo

EricGo New Member

kerbinster,

Darrell answered your question, but just to rephrase and expand a bit --

A Prius hybrid turns about 1/3 of fossil fuel into mechanical energy (compared to 1/4 for a lot of non-hybrid cars), so there is about 35,000 btu of energy to use. So 10 kWh will have an equivalent useful energy amount, and by today's prices will cost $.60 - $1.50, depending where you live.

Thought about another way --
    A Prius uses about 0.20 kWh/mile. My home electricity costs 8 cents/kWh (no night rate unfortunately) which works out to ~ 60 miles per ONE dollar.

One other money consideration: Liquid fossil fuel will continue to rise in price, as it becomes more scarce, not to mention it's volatility when someone in S. America/Middle EAst/Africa coughs. Electricity is not subject to the same problems, because it's core source is US coal/nuclear; and it's price is effectively limited by wind power.

SO, even if enviro/securtity considerations do not sway you, the cost should.

9. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster @ May 4 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]249904[/snapback]</div>
    As others have pointed out, you started with a faulty premise. You are assumed that the Gasoline->Wheel efficiency is the same as the Electricity->Wheel efficiency.

10. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ May 4 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]249987[/snapback]</div>
    And if that faulty assumption were true, there would be VERY little reason to build hybrids like the Prius! Electric motors have awesome torque, and superior efficiency as compared to ICEs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ May 4 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]249920[/snapback]</div>
    Oh good. So it hasn't been a total waste of time and effort. :)

11. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DonDNH @ May 4 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]249951[/snapback]</div>
    While electric power in the US is far cleaner than gasoline production and consumption... we do still have a long way to go. The folks who say we should not be persuing EVs because of the pollution involved in electricity production are aiming their negative energy at the wrong target. Let's keep working toward cleaner electricity, and we'll be in great shape. 100% domestic energy is a worthy goal. While we continue to burn gasoline, we'll never be energy independent in the US.

12. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

The point I was trying to make was purely an economic one based on the high cost of electricity in many regions. In my case plug-ins make sense as I have a solar PV system on my roof that generates about 12,000 KWH per year.

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster @ May 5 2006, 09:35 AM) [snapback]250195[/snapback]</div>
    Umm, it sounds like you're still missing the point: recharging a car's battery using gasoline is about 1/3 as efficient as plugging it into the wall. The difference in efficiency, which exists inside the car, overcomes the lower cost of energy in gasoline. If it cost you X cents to recharge a battery using electricity purchased from a utility, it would cost you roughly 2X cents worth of gasoline.

But if you were only concerned about your direct costs you would not have installed a Solar PV system. A system that big probably cost you something like $20,000? Ignoring interest or the return you might have made investing that sum, it will take at least ten years to pay for itself. Including interest/returns makes the payback time more like 20 years.

I'm looking forward to buying a plugin hybrid myself to further reduce air pollution and consumption of fossil fuels, not to reduce my costs.

14. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ May 5 2006, 11:01 AM) [snapback]250218[/snapback]</div>

No I don't think I am missing the point. I fully understand what you are saying as far as the efficiency (or lack of it) in converting gasoline to electricity and back to motive power. I was talking about just the dollar cost of buying electricity for most people.

You are right, and wrong, about the solar system. You cost estimate is fairly close to what the system cost net of rebates which were running 70% of system cost when I installed it. However, the payback on the system is just under 4 years -- which is a good return on investment. What you fail to factor in is the high cost of power here and the value or the srecs. In NJ there is an active markets for the srecs which represent the legal rights to claim you produce renewable energy. The utilities must pay a large fine to the state for missing their requirements which they don't even come close to. Thus, I generate 12 srecs a year and sell them for about $250 a unit, which contributes another $3,000 a year to the system's return. Just the srecs will yield me $12,000 in those four years. Plus, the value of those srecs will likely increase in 18 months.

15. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster @ May 5 2006, 08:24 AM) [snapback]250226[/snapback]</div>
    Even if electricity cost you three or four times MORE than you are paying now, it will still make economic sense to use electricity instead of gasoline whenever possible. Did that point get across in any of my ramblings? I won't go into all the other stuff regarding domestic energy supplies, and being able to control the source and price. The bottom line (for your particular question) is that even at well above the curren highest price of electricity, it is a cheaper transportation fuel than is gasoline.

16. EricGo

EricGo New Member

The DOE says that electricity costs on average 9.74 cents in 2005.

The Prius uses 0.15 - 0.20 kWh/mile. Let's use high numbers:

0.2 kWh/mile * 10 cents/kWh = 2 cents per mile.

For most Prius owners, gasoline is 5 - 6 cents per mile.

---
    Would you mind providing a detailed post regarding your solar array ? I would love to hear about it, as I am sure many other people here at PC.

Cheers -- Eric

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ May 5 2006, 08:01 AM) [snapback]250218[/snapback]</div>
    This is a common misperception. The misconception is based on sevearl flawed assumptions. It assumes electricity will stay the same price over time, and it assumes that your "other investments" will do way better than the stock market has averaged. Adding PV increases the value of your home while at the same time paying you back. PV on the roof can lower the load on your AC system as it keeps the sun off the tiles. Installing PV is a guaranteed return on investment that will only increase as energy prices continue to rise. In my case, my payback came the very day I turned my system on. My average monthy electricity bill savings is about $70 - and the principal and interest on the loan I took out to install the system is LESS than $70/month. In two years, the loan will be paid off, and the system will then keep producing for MANY more years for FREE. Any othe question on that???

Note: I'm biased as well as at least mildly educated in this stuff. I'm now a sales rap for a PV installation company... though my system was installed before I was a rep, and at market prices.

18. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ May 5 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]250243[/snapback]</div>

Eric I have posted some info before, but will do it again here. Don't know where you are located, but if you are anywhere near Northern NJ I would be glad to show you the system.

My system is comprised of 54 Sharp 185watt solar panels. They are connected to three Sunnyboy 2500U and one Sunnyboy 1100U inverters. The inverters take the DC power from the panels and convert it to a/c and sync with utitlity company voltage and frequency. The power then ties directly into my main breaker panel. When I produce more than I am using it flows out onto the grid for others to use - while spinning my meter backwards to give me credit for the power. Anyone in NJ (and a few other states) that has a southern facing roof free of shading is crazy to not install such a system. With the rebates, srec credit and savings on electricity it is an economic no brainer. If you are a tree hugger there is even more reason to do it ;)

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ May 5 2006, 08:54 AM) [snapback]250243[/snapback]</div>
    Well, there you go. Real numbers intead of just my ramblings. :)

All that's needed is to follow my EV link in my sig, and choose the SOLAR link on the left.

20. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Darrell, I assure you I have read your website more than once.

Thanks!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster @ May 5 2006, 12:03 PM) [snapback]250253[/snapback]</div>
    I remember now ..

Can you take me through the money part of it ? H/W, installation cost, fed and state rebates ? I know my state of NM will allow 1 kWh of energy returned to the grid to offset 1 kWh of energy used. Not as generous as CA (and apparently NJ), but OK IMO.

I am as excited by home solar today, as I was about the Prius 4 years ago. A large array, and a couple of hybrid electrical bicycles seems like a brilliant proposition. If not today, I'd guess in the pretty near future.