1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-ins?? Is it really..?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MansTer420, Apr 15, 2013.

1. MansTer420

MansTer420 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    lets say we all have nice house and good size of garage where we can have chage station installed.

the plug-ins are about $10K more than regualr Prius two.

i usually drive about 30 miles a day commute and spend about $100 a mo on gas. thats $1200 a year.

And lets say plug-in's mpg is double the regular Prius two. And that makes plug-ins gas saving will be $600 from prius two to plug-ins.

So by going with Plug-ins, in order for you to make the $10,000 difference, you will need to drive the car for 16 YEARS.

YES. even being more generous and consider plug-ins saving $1000 more than Prius two, that makes 10 years to drive Plug-ins and make that money back.

Is it really worth it?

SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 ? 2

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. It's a $8k difference. The Prius Two starts at $24k

2. It has more features than a Two. More like a Three with dual stage heated seats (minus a further $1,500)

You're down to $6,500.

Just under half the commute will be done in electric. Double that if you can charge at work.

So really, you buy a Prius PHV because you want greater EV range, a more powerful battery pack (it helps through mountainous terrain as you have more battery capacity to recharge downhill) and you want to buy the most technologically advanced Prius.

It's really more than just money. If you simply wanted a cheap hybrid, you would've gotten a Prius c One. (or a used Prius)

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There are also those that bought PIPs with big incentives that got the price down to the Three price range.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yer numbers are off buddy, waaaaaaay off. stop guessing and go visit a dealer for the facts.(y)
    how long will it take to pay back your car over a corolla?:cool:

6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is the entertainment value of course. Do you base all of your options on payback?
    I opted for a sunroof. Uh oh, I don't think that's ever going to pay itself back!

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Buy one from NY, NJ or MA where there are large incentives, then with the tax credit it's close in price to the 3. (The PiP base is a 3 plus heated seats plus plug-in.) The higher value will likely lead to higher insurance cost.

With a 30 mile commute you get the EV range plus it improves the warm-up time. Or if it's a highway commute you can use the battery to blend with the engine to improve overall cost.

With the incentivized price the relative cost is much better. If I were going to buy a Prius I wouldn't be shopping for anything except a cheap PiP. It doesn't matter where you live, you can have a car shipped.

MansTer420 likes this.
  8. MansTer420

MansTer420 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yeah. it does look like you can save little more money but how is it compared to VOLT?

for plug-ins, I think by the time I pay off my prius, there will be alot more charge stations everywhere.

I will wait until then..

SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 ? 2

9. jaymac

jaymac membore

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Don't half step. Go full EV. Check out the Fiat 500e. Cost around $22,000 in California after incentives. 80 mile range. And... The real cool part : 12 days free rental per year at enterprise with unlimited mileage for three years for the occasional road trip. Pretty cool !!

10. MansTer420

MansTer420 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    does California still has any type of rebates on Prius (non plug in)?

I just moved here from Miami so Im googling all I can..

SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 ? 2

11. jaymac

jaymac membore

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm in Oregon but rebates and tax incentives on straight hybrids are a thing of the past AFAIK.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. CA has $1500 rebate on PiP and US $2500 tax credit on PiP.
    If CA is your state, PiP HOV access is another key advantage.
    Oregon and maybe Colorado give regular Prius a pretty good incentive.
    PiP prices are higher in CA so some have shipped from East Coast.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought Oregon gave regular Prius same incentive as PiP.
    All I know I learned from folks here, so let me know if I am wrong.

14. jaymac

jaymac membore

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Nothing I'm aware of and I bought mine a little over a year ago here in Oregon. I don't think there are tax incentives on the regular Prii anywhere any more. Certainly nothing Federal.

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check out this link and get back to me. Another member here said this means you can take $1500 combined tax credit on PiP and regular prius.

http://www.oregon.gov/ENERGY/cons/res/tax/docs/hybridform.pdf

...hmm link is no longer working, was a few weeks ago

16. MansTer420

MansTer420 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hm.. so I guess I will have to just drive slowly to get most out of it then...

SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 ? 2

17. jaymac

jaymac membore

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes thank you...looks like the state still had the Hybrid credit web page active (with no end date mentioned), so some people thought it was still good.

Do we know what PiP/Prius incentive is available in Oregon? Plug in America says $750 tax credit for Plug_ins. Is this correct? Does this also apply to Prius regular?

Oregon is a car tax free state, right? And a CARB state.

EDIT: Apparently some folks were able to still able to get the old Prius tax credit because Oregon still had the on-line forms active. Now the forms are removed from the web, so that's all folks.

19. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    The Volt is about $3,000 more than a PiP but it gives you a full-power EV driving experience (no gas engine at any speed or acceleration) until the battery runs out. The battery range is also 3.5-4.0 times farther (Volt can go 50 miles on a single charge under favorable conditions). The Volt also has OnStar telematics with smartphone and web access to control and download information from your car.

On the downside, the Volt has a bit less interior room with 4 seats instead of 5 and the gas engine when you are using it is about 25% less efficient. It's also from GM instead of Toyota although I've had good reliability with mine so far over almost 2.5 years and 50,000 miles.

It all depends on what your personal driving pattern is and what aspects of a car are most important to you. It's harder to compare fuel cost and efficiency now that plugin hybrids give us cars with 2 different energy sources (grid power & gasoline). The PiP or the Volt can be a good choice in the right circumstances.

20. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just saw an article in the L.A. Times, Fiat e models in California, $999 down, $199 a month for a 36 month lease, tempting, I can afford it, but am I dumb enough to jump on it?