1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plugin Prius Advanced + Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by johngeorge, Feb 20, 2013.

1. johngeorge

johngeorge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi all,

Can someone recommend a self powered subwoofer that would fit in a 2012 pip rear storage compartment (between batteries and bumper in the trunk.) I dont want to change my head unit since its the fancy one with navigation, just want to add deep base to the car.

Thanks

2. johngeorge

johngeorge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I will use a Kicker 11HS8 subwoofer. Based on my calculations it will fit very nicely in the rear storage compartment. The dimensions of the subwoofer is 3 1/8" x 9 3/8" x 13 7/8" which should fit nicely based on my 5" x 10" x 21" measurements (middle of compartment). I hope to do the install today, stay tuned for pictures!

BTW does anyone know the color of the front speaker wires (left + -, right + -) and where I can tap for remote power trigger to wire the sub?

3. johngeorge

johngeorge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Its installed!!! and I think it came out great. Whats even better is it sounds great and adds just enough bass, exactly what I was looking for.

Here are some pictures of the install, pretty easy to do. I ran wires along side the passenger trim tucking it in by hand, no wires are visible.

Big connector going to amp (L158)
    Pin 11 = RL+ (black)
    Pin 22 = RL- (yellow)
    Pin 12 = RR+ (red)
    Pin 27 = RR- (white)

Other smaller connector (L159) I tapped ACC for remote turnon of amp using pin 12 (grey)
    I tapped off batter and ground for main power to the subwoofer.
    IMG_5706.JPG IMG_5712.JPG IMG_5717.JPG IMG_5718.JPG IMG_5720.JPG IMG_5723.JPG IMG_5724.JPG

bonchang, peterjmc and Tracksyde like this.
  4. nedear88

nedear88 My 1st Prius.

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice job done! I have the same unit in my 2011 IV, I didn't tapped the signal from the AMP, I took off the kick panel and there are speaker connection there, same color code, L=Yellow, Black and R=Red, White. I didn't use the remote turn on lead, since the Kicker CAN sense the signal from the AMP and turn on the subwoofer. I place the sub right behind the rear seat just lay on top the carpet, it sound really good and blend in well with the JBL sound system, but you need to try several adjustment to make it blend in well, I set my frequency at 75hz and NO bass boost needed, the gain at the Kicker amp set at 90% so that you can use the remote volume to compensate the bass volume. Hope this help make your sound system more enjoyable, I use double side tape to mount the volume control inline with the fuel door opener, I believe yours is power on the dash.

I used to hate rush hour traffic but now...I enjoy it because I can listen to good music in the Prius, also...congrat on your new Plug in Prius.

5. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm guessing this wouldn't work with the Base PiP? Very clean setup!

6. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Looks amazing! Does it rattle? Does it overheat? I want to do the same thing!

7. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Few months with out a feed back!!! I'm ready to install....

8. GADGETBUNNY

GADGETBUNNY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So glad I found this thread - thank you! Any long-term updates on the kicker sub?

9. nufan2222

nufan2222 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get the BOSS bass800, it is pretty good. fit exactly under the seat