1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plugin showing up now on KBB, accurate or no?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by rondocap, Mar 9, 2013.

1. rondocap

rondocap Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So I've been eyeing Kelly Blue Book's website now as I like to always to know the rough value, trade in price or private party.

The Plugin actually took a while to show up, it just recently did. I had used NADA before on the Prius, and found it to be too high. Unfortunately, KBB was just as high.

Back in December I was shopping around for a CT200h Lexus and gave up when no one would give over $21-22k for my 2012 Prius plugin with 7500 miles.

KBB tells me my Prius with 10,500 miles is worth $27,500 trade in value, in excellent condition. (The condition of my Prius)

So is KBB really off here by $5-6k? Or did somehow the incentives that were making the Prius worth less last year, suddenly disappear and raise the value of used ones more so?

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    trade in value? hmmm, that sounds high. private party for sure

3. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I've traded 5 cars in for new ones in my life and I have never ever found a dealer that would even come close to KBB or NADA trade-in values. They are usually about 30% less, and they are willing to lose the deal over it.

ny_rob and JamesBurke like this.
  4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya and there is a reason why. they have to detail it, store it, insure it, etc. before they can even think about reselling it plus there is the salesman, sales manager, team leader, finance, etc. that also needs to be paid when that car sells...

5. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Both KBB and NADA trade in values are nuts! From trading in two cars in the last few years, I'd say they're off by at least 25% or more :mad:

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, I think it may be very situational.
    When we traded in our 07 Prius we got KBB value for it.

For the PiP your trade in value is competing with the incentives though. No one would buy a used PiP if you can get a new one for similar cost with state, federal, manufacturer and or dealer incentives thrown in. Please note, I don't know that you can, just mentioning as it is something worth considering.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm sure it is, just like new cars. pips hold a lot more value in cali than they do around here where they have been giving them away for 6 months. even tho kbb makes you put in your zip, i don't think it is well researched and current. i could probably drive to cali, spend a week touring, trade it in with dianne, drive home and the price difference would pay for my vacation.