1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 Advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gwynngal, Dec 13, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Gwynngal

Gwynngal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't know how much is anything we caused or can cure:

1212151218.jpg
    The hatch door was left opened overnight and the next morning the car was dead. Hubby charged it 10 min, then drove it a couple of miles and parked it. Next day when we went to take it out, we got this display. Called the dealer who said it would need to be put on the code reader ($65 and a couple hours next week.) I learned that I HAD a code reader on it already (Dash app) and learned that the code was P0A80 - the hybrid battery. I re- called the dealer and asked about the warranty (expired in March) and she was emphatic that i should bring it for analysis b/c it may not be the hybrid battery. We took the car out again for a 2 mile trip and only 2 lights (the 'Master Service' light and 'Check Engine' light were on this time... I am still hoping it's a temporary ailment that time & driving will heal.
    Any chance of that? What would you all suggest?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The small 12v battery could be too weak. now that you discharged it. You could try changing that first.

If all else fails, try the following per below. You will have to go to Toyota dealer to get dealer diagnosis that the hybrid battery is bad, before you can try this approach.
    HV Battery Goodwill Warranty Listing - Toyota Prius USA | PriusChat

3. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How old is your 12v battery?

4. Gwynngal

Gwynngal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure. I've only had the car a year and a half. We have discharged it a few times by leaving the lights on. We had concerns several times about the battery when we first started driving the car but the batteries always checked out OK. I just found this on the owners website service record: Looks as though it was replaced in 2011, doesn't it? Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 7.35.32 AM.png

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It doesn't matter when it was replaced. Once you kill that little 12 volt real good its pretty much destroyed. Discharging it with a light bulb thoroughly discharges it. It will begin sulphating. Its a very small battery and not much sulphation will damage it and then it will never reach a decent charge again.
    You would notice this if it was a normal car with a starter. You would hear how poorly it was turning the starter and alert you. Not this car. No starter.

Do all you can do not to have to jump start this car. Your exposing it to bad voltage surges and possible mismatch of polarities which has caused thousands of dollars of damage to hundreds of Prius here on this site.

Your not setting the car lock on the fob everytime you shut the car off. This will alert you to lights on and hatch ajar. Make sure you set the car lock every single time especially in the garage. Every single time.

You didn't notice that the car has been throwing that red triangle momentarily every time you booted up. Only throws it for an instant to alert you that the 12 volt battery is bad. And your mileage has probably tanked as the system struggles to keep a dead battery charged.

The engine service icon usually comes on if your low on engine oil. Check the engine oil in the am before starting the car. Higher mileage Prius are notorious for eating oil and require more monitoring as they age. Kinda like humans.

Yellowtop Optima battery is what I and many others have used here for 12 volt replacement. Mine has been good for the last 3 years.
    I maintenance charge it also periodically. $169 online at Advance Auto. Local p.u.

#5 edthefox5, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  6. Gwynngal

Gwynngal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My, edthefox5, you have stabbed me in the heart! Yes, yes, and more yeses! I never lock up my car with the Fob except maybe at the mall! In fact, I leave the key in the console 90% of the time like we did with other vehicles. I think early on, we even neglected to turn off the power overnight in the driveway! Not too smart, huh? The ONE 'No' is that hubby just checked the oil and it is full. Had the oil (synthetic) changed just before the 3K Texas trip at Thanksgiving.
    So, if it is also the HV battery, you don't think we'll get assistance fromToyota? Would using the Yellowtop Optima Battery void any possible warranty on the 75 K mile vehicle?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nailed it. no, you can use any 12v battery without warranty issues. you're on the cusp of the 8 year warranty, so if replacing the 12v doesn't fix your issue, and it turns out to be the hybrid battery, they'll tell you if it's under warranty. it goes by the first day it was registered. if it's out of warranty, you can ask them to contact toyota for some goodwill assistance, as wjtracy mentions above.

8. Gwynngal

Gwynngal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks everyone! We'll see what happens tomorrow...

Feb 2011 so like 5 years!

#8 Gwynngal, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2015
  9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Leaving the car on all night will only burn a little gas. I'd buy a BatteryMinder (forget where) and an Optima (from elearnaid) to trickle charge and desulfate the battery. It won't do much for the old one but the new one should last longer.

Gwynngal, please accept the advice in the spirit it is given. We'll do the best we can to help you understand the car and in the process hopefully save some unnecessary repairs & maintenance.

10. Gwynngal

Gwynngal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hummm... That's what we assumed must have been the reason our first trip away from home ended up being stranded by a dead battery at the PO, but on second thought, it was no doubt that running 'headlights' while you park thing! (Just now put that together!) Someone mentioned always using the lock on the FOB and that will work well for me.

Thanks for the disclaimer! OF course! That's a given!

11. Gwynngal

Gwynngal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So the diagnosis was, as expected, a dead hybrid battery, with a fix at $3500 plus tax ... with a ONE YEAR guarantee! The Hybrid Shop replaces it for $1900 and offers a 2 year guarantee. The Toyota Service Gal said Toyota only offers the 'Goodwill' discount to "owners with cars less than 5 years old." [Does that make sense?] She also said mine was the only hybrid battery they've had to replace except a Highlander, so did I want to waste my money on my old car or did I want a newer used one or a new one? The whole experience really soured me on the brand and the dealership. So I brought it home to think about. I could afford any of the options but I'm stubborn and feel as though I have been shafted by Toyota. I called the Toyota Customer Service Center to see if the service manager's answer was the final answer. She said she'd be back to me within two days. I am trying to assess the options. I really liked the style and features of that car.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep trying if you have time. We never heard a 5-yr rule, but it may help to be orig owner. The main thing you can do is be nice and you can say you can't afford it and go with refurb. This way they know they have to deal or lose the business. We actually recommend the genuine Toyota batt as the most reliable option. The rebuilt options include Dorman and Green Tec Auto... we have a Green Tec up here in DC area some have been using.

Hybrid Auto Repair Shop in Washington, D.C. | GreenTec Auto

You have MACs in Ashland as a shop that does hybrid batt repairs (looks like you are not that close).

13. Gwynngal

Gwynngal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in 'Limp Mode' so going to Ashland or VABch is pretty much out of the question. This company from DC claims to do driveway service within a 300 mile radius. Anyone know anything about them? Prius Hybrid Battery

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is no 5 year rule. wait to hear from toyota and don't ever go back to that dealer.

keep in mind that even though toyota's warranty is one year, it's a brand new battery and will likely last another 8 years or more. the remanufactured battery from the hybrid shoppe is only as good as the warranty. if you decide to go with them, make sure they have a good track record of warranty service, and be prepared to buy another one after 2 years, if you keep the car. you want to go check out their shoppe in case you need them again, you don't want to find out they won't come back to your driveway. this has happened at other places and the customer finds out there's no shop either.

in the final analysis, if you like the features of the car, you'd be better off with a new one, or one with a lot of warranty left. all the best.(y)

Gwynngal likes this.
  15. Gwynngal

Gwynngal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, Bisco! The problem is I like the features of the Gen II model not the newer ones. I do fear that something I have done or not done is responsible for the early failure of the hybrid battery or something the car is doing or not doing. I tend to be very loyal once I fall in love with a car. I had a Subaru GL-10 for 10 years and more Subarus for the next 20 years when I switched to Toyota. I thought this one might be a contender so having it fail just as I was getting accustomed to it is a real disappointment. I'm wondering if there is any market for a body with no battery???

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gwynngal that sounds like a no-name shop with no track record with us. Maybe give MACs a call and see what they say (or Green Tec see what they say for your area). I am hoping you can get a deal for $2000-2500 from Toyota though. MAC's is top notch but not the cheapest by any means.

Gwynngal likes this.
  17. Gwynngal

Gwynngal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought the website looked a bit vague... I am hoping to get some relief from Toyota on their battery replacement. Thanks! I'll post the last chapter when it unfolds!

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry.......you asked for advice.

What is very hard on the Hybrid battery is heat. Like leaving the car out in the sun all day with the windows up and no tint and no windshield shade. Consistent high cabin temp over many years will kill the Hybrid. You'll know the Hybrid is suffering if you get in the car and you hear the Hybrid Battery ventilation fan come on in the backseat when you ready the car. Its the vent in the rear seat between the seat and the passenger side window. I bet you have heard that fan many times.

I have a good tint...use the custom heat shield window shade bought here at Prius Shop (made by weatherguard best shade ever) and always have the fabric package cover in the rear extended and a piece of insulation covered with foil on top of that to protect the battery area form direct sunlight. It works really well. Have only heard the battery fan come on once in 7+ years.

The other thing that takes its toll is long periods of inactivity. Prius will do best if driven every day and charged. By your mileage I bet the car sits alot.

The last thing is alot of high current loads like going up steep hills and gassing it...ie: demanding a good acceleration and speed up the hill but having a low HB charge. Sometimes its hurt the hybrid battery so bad it will overheat and you'll smell something burning. Thats the battery overheating and the fan will come on real loud.

All these combine to kill the battery life. If these are unavoidable scenarios for you a Prius may not be a good choice for you and investing $XXXX back into a car that doesn't work for you may be senseless.

19. Gwynngal

Gwynngal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the information. This is the first time I have seen any of this! Some applies, some not. Actually, until a few days ago I NEVER heard any sound from the battery fan. (Well, there is a strange little single chirp that comes from somewhere back there once in a while when it 'idles' at a stop light.) The last two days (between the Display of Horror and Limp Mode) it sounds like it has emphyzema! We just got back from a trip to Texas and it is possible that we may have restricted the airflow somewhat. We had a lot of cargo. It's not something I was cautious about but at least 90% of the time there is nothing at all in the backseat.
    The car does sit in the hot sun a good bit, but idle has not been ME! I bought the car last March with only 37K miles so I've put 38K+ in 21 months! At least 80% of those in (lovely) FLAT Tidewater Virginia. It has occasionally seen the mtns and hills of NC and Vermont. The gentleman who owned it before me was nearly blind and only drove it for short trips around VABch which is also flat but sunny.
    I drive gently to get great mileage. My son installed an OBD2 transmitter last spring and I consistently get 99% on my everyday driving. Of course, the occasional highway trip in a city gets a few chides from the Dash app but that's rare. My overall score is 89%.

Is there any possibility that there is anything mechanical (or rather, electrical?) in the car itself that could be the root of the battery failure? I would think anything like that would show up when they did the analysis. A mechanic friend ran a tester and said there were 3 codes and that they were all 'related to the problem' but he said the Toyota dealer would need to explain their significance. Now that I think about it, they never said anything other than that the battery needed to be replaced. I don't want to put a battery into the car if it's going to consume another battery!

#19 Gwynngal, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you love the car, bite the bullet and put in a new battery. you can shop around for the best price, or a mechanic who will install a new one.