1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 and weird events (sped up on it's own.)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jerlands, May 11, 2019.

1. jerlands

jerlands Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Umm... possibly... how would traveling downhill with my foot on the brake cause the vehicle to speed up?

2. jerlands

jerlands Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently I didn't get instructions for testing in ready mode... I have them now :)

Skibob likes this.
  3. jerlands

jerlands Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This afternoon when I test I realized this evening I left the lights on... the accessory mode test was 12.4, the load test was 11.7 and the ready test was 14.5

#23 jerlands, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Seeing those numbers in my car would give me no worries about the 12 volt battery at all.

Skibob likes this.
  5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did the car go at a faster speed or did the engine speed up? When you Push the brake petal in a Prius it charges the traction battery before actually applying the brakes. When the computer thinks the battery is at maximum allowable charge it uses the engine as a brake, kind of like downshifting going downhill in a regular car. The arrows also stop showing the battery charging as it’s not charging anymore.

6. jerlands

jerlands Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At the time I believed and I recall the vehicle felt as though it was speeding up forcefully, not solely on gravity alone, but as I said I was a bit confused so I doubt I have things straight. The engine I don't recall speeding up as the car accelerated so it seems the only way for the vehicle to speed up with my foot on the brake and going down hill would be for MG1 to begin feeding MG2 directly? As I mentioned earlier... within the time this all happened I noticed the traction battery wasn't active at all (no charging, no discharging.)

Edit: this seems wrong to me now... what would have to happen for the car to speed up going downhill with the foot on the break would be for MG2 to feed itself? I think I'm going to have to chalk this one up to my imagination and realize the vehicle wasn't increasing in speed due to powertrain input?

#26 jerlands, May 14, 2019
  7. jerlands

jerlands Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car went faster and I don't recall if the engine itself sped up or not.
    Yes but driving mode needs to be in "brake" (B) and I'm uncertain if I had it in that mode (likely) or not but at no time did I notice the engine taking on the braking load.

8. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, that’s wrong. The car will put itself into a kind of B mode when it thinks the battery is full. Once you are on level ground or uphill and the battery discharges slightly the arrows will start up again. The sound of the engine is slight. If you have the radio on you might not even notice it. Whenever I’m coming back from Jackson when I see the battery is full bars green I turn off the radio so I can hear it.

#28 Skibob, May 14, 2019
  9. jerlands

jerlands Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've don't recall ever seeing the battery state totally inactive for any prolonged period unless stopped? When I noticed the inactive state I probably did something like shift into "D" (or B) or braked or something but I'm pretty sure I would have tried some change but I always go out of B mode when I hear it using the engine because I don't think it's good for it (it puts a huge strain on it it seems with it winding out?)
    And, in this car, in D mode I've notice regenerative braking is active (when I release my foot from the accelerator) all the time but it won't use the engine compression.

Anyway... The behavior of the battery is fast charge and discharge and on several occasions I noticed it totally dump the charge and go to one bar from like a 70% or 60% state... those wild swings is what concerned me somehow affecting the ECU?

I wasn't intoxicated but I was returning from a female friends place so maybe I just wasn't thinking clearly :)

10. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You say in your first post the battery stopped taking charge. How do you know this other than the arrows turned off?

Based on your codes and the fast cycling of the battery monitor there is no doubt you need a new battery.

Not an uncommon problem around here. There are several fixes for your problem, search around the threads and you will see.

11. jerlands

jerlands Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both indicating arrows were inative... nothing. I don't know if the computer just got screwed up and just stopped outputting for the arrows but I'm assuming the electrical connection to the battery from MG2 was terminated (or however it stops charging?) I don't recall ever seeing the arrow not feeding the battery with regenerative braking even when it's fully charged? I mean to say that while driving I've never seen anything other than some activity from the indicating arrows that the battery is either charging or discharging?

I've known I need the battery but I was concerned about the reason for what I thought was a drive away...

12. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery isn’t fully charged UNTILL the arrows stop. They don’t stop the second the battery looks full.

13. jerlands

jerlands Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in the Sierra's and some long downhills with lots of time to fully charge (at least this battery) but I've never noticed it stop charging with regenerative braking?

14. jerlands

jerlands Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll have to see how the new battery behaves :)

15. jerlands

jerlands Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've just learnt (at least for a 2017 prius) that in B mode (braking) both MG2 and MG1 are put online for regenerative braking whereas in D mode (drive) only MG2 is used for regenerative braking. If this is true for Gen 2 also then it seems it would be possible for MG1 to supply power to MG2 if the controls allow for it?

>> Edit: Oops.. I think I just realized how the engine is used for braking... MG1 becomes active in regenerative braking at that time?
    when my Prius does this the motor is winding so loud it sounds like it'll blow up... I always remove it from B mode at that time.

So it seems one of the MG sets are always being used for regenerative braking.
    Apparently also, the charging rate is controlled by winding resistance? The lower the resistance the greater the current the greater the mag. force and greater voltages produced.

#35 jerlands, May 14, 2019
  16. Longinus876

Longinus876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same thing happens on my car. (05 Prius). All the jokers out there laughing at the car speeding up are all idiots. Mine did the exact same thing and has done it before. Take you foot off the gas and it is still slowly increasing speed. Touch the brakes and it comes back to normal.
    I love the Prius but they are extremely complicated. Everything seems to be attached to everything else. The red triangle can appear for any number of reasons and then the car goes into limp mode. It's too bad I don't trust any of the dealers or shops around here (LI, NY) because they might actually know something. How did you make out with it?

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like you forgot you had the cruise control set on.