1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 triangle limp mode revving motor no power

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Glen2007, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Glen2007

Glen2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    2007 with 215k
    Normal driving triangle on dash pull in parking lot found a firestone dealer across the street. They pull codes P0A80 hv battery - 1300 - c1241 low battery. I ask if they can load test the battery ok sure it read good 550 crank amps voltage good. I asked if they could disconnect the negative battery terminal and check it again sure, then they said it reads the same volts. Ok so its not the 12 volt battery 1 year old. I ask did you clear the codes he said no I was not happy that he did not clear them I did not say anything. Sales rep probably manager goes on about chem suit and epa and other b.s. a bout the hv battery. I left they said good luck with that.

They said they disconnected the neg battery cable they obviously did not because the check engine light was still on. I drive about 2 blocks then park idle on motor goes up and down. I shut down disconnect neg cable restart and now everything is ok multiple drive cycles no check engine. I had codes pulled again next day today no codes.

Plan of action always keep a volt meter in the car to check 12v battery and always have a socket set with a 10 mm so I can reset the computer neg battery cable if this happens again.
    Invertor fluid is flowing.

Should I buy a cheap laptop and get techstream? or can I use my iphone to data log the hv battery voltages? Can I use torque on an iphone?
    Part of this thread is to mention that disconnecting the negative battery wire to the chassis may reset the computers in the car and may get a stranded motorist out of trouble. thanks in advance

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would go with tech stream, if you're gonna diy and hang onto the vehicle awhile.

3. Glen2007

Glen2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I had codes checked again none. Car seemed ok but the battery seemed to stay near all top of purple or all green not normal. I went to green tech in Westridge IL. No codes. On the test drive battery went way low then back up on display that was a sure sign of doom. Had the battery swapped out in under an hour. Total including tax was $1170.00 6 month warranty all balanced modules. Extra $200 for 1.5 year warranty I may do the extended warranty.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2 year warranty
    6 month warranty?
    Is this a race to the bottom for warranties lately?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would pay two hundred bucks a year for a warranty. is that labor included? offer them a thousand for 5 years.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Probably covered but the times the warranty is needed will be inconvenient. And that might not be worth the price.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. but it's a better option than paying another $1,100.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Everyone's time and value of their time is different. But the amount is a significant part of the equation.

bisco likes this.
  9. Glen2007

Glen2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My bad it is an extra $245.00 includes installation I may do it. I plan to keep the car for as many years as possible.

bisco likes this.
  10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That price is what you can get with a Dorman with 3 year warranty

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're keeping it, maybe an oem for $2,000.

12. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My bigger concern is the reliability.
    Peace of mind to have a reliable battery for the long term.

13. Glen2007

Glen2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My battery failed and was replaced today. After the battery was replaced the first time I had some abs codes. I will report back if the abs codes come back. I did replace the skid steer computer. The original skid steer ecu is still in place so after a few days I will plug in the original unit to see if it was ok all the time. I also have techstream now but the hv battery codes did not come up at first. So if the hv battery is starting to fail techstream may not detect it ? Or when I brought it to Arlington Heights IL toyota they the tech skipped some steps. Like the health check? I watched the tech drive up and park my car then write on the report the code and description then I asked any codes on the 07 prius no are you sure yes. After looking at code c1241 I said to the service rep that is on commission where is the 2 digit sub code oh uh let me ask the manager he does not know anything until I show him on my phone the sub codes for then he gets the code sub from the tech that lied to me printout. I quote service manager no one has ever asked me for the detailed code ever. I obviously left the dealership without any questions about how much can you fix it etc.
    Learning experience.
    I wasted time and money by going to the dealer.
    I wasted time by going to autozone their code reader is very primitive as far as any capabilities.
    I wasted time by going to oriellys and using there free bosch scanner that revealed more info but was still lacking.
    I was at the onset of this situation hesitant and too cheap to just go for the gusto and buy a windows 7 laptop 32 bit and the mini vci .
    Time will tell if codes appear especially the skid steer when I swap modules.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what battery did you get?

15. Glen2007

Glen2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    hv battery from greentech auto

16. Phil Westy

Phil Westy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did the hv battery work ok??

17. Glen2007

Glen2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    FIRST BATTERY LASTED 2 MONTHS SECOND BATTERY FROM THEM LASTED 2 WEEKS. I then got gen 3 cells installed no problems since then.

Phil Westy likes this.
  18. Phil Westy

Phil Westy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So did they charge you anything for the 2nd and 3rd installations?? whats a gen 3 cell would it work in a gen 2 car? Prius 2007

19. Glen2007

Glen2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Prius 2004-2009 Category when I bought original battery it was 6 month warranty they replaced it x 2 for free.
    1 year warranty = weak battery 2 year warranty = better battery. you will get what you pay for. I made a deal to get the best battery installed free. but I did pay for the upgrade.

bisco likes this.