1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 vs PO505

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MillerSC, Jul 8, 2013.

1. MillerSC

MillerSC New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A few months ago I had a minor collision where someone backed up into my car. I had the body repaired and everything was fine until one month ago. My check engine light came on and the Toy Tech said that all my codes were lit probably because body repair did disconnect battery before doing the body. Toy cleared all the codes, but then then the next day the only code that showed up again was (P0505 idle speed motor) I declined the $1200 repair because the tech said I probably won't notice any problems until the weather is cold.

Last week I noticed my acceleration lagging and air coming out of the passenger rear seat. I took it to a different Toy dealer & they said the only code showing was P0A80 (replace battery pack), $3,700). They said block 3 was really low and the others failing. I've read where it may only be the 12v battery & I've read where a dirty throttle body could give false codes. It's still at the dealer awaiting some type of repair. I don't want to make an unnecessary cosylt repair.

Please advise this broke single momma, thanks!!!

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah that certainly sounds like classic symptoms of a bad HV battery. This is most likely unrelated to the previous accident and issues.

BTW. The air isn't blowing out of the vent in the back seat, it is being drawn in.

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How many miles on the car?
    I think you mean that you heard the battery cooling fan running, which has its intake at the side of the passenger seat. This is a classic sign of battery failing. If the weather is very hot, that can also make matters worse. It is important in a hot climate to use the AC, and window reflectors when parked, as that keeps the battery cooler as well. Most of the HV battery failures seem to come from southern states.

You can look into a rebuilt battery from Remanufactured Hybrid Vehicle Battery Packs, if you can get to NC. That will be quite a bit less than going to the dealer. Also check for local used batteries as well. The dealer is a last resort. You will be able to drive with a bad battery, but as you note the acceleration is poor. However, on level roads the HV battery is not used much so it possible to attain reasonable speeds.

The throttle code might be cleared with a simple throttle body cleaning. The dealer won't do that, but the can of spray can be had at the auto parts store. I would not worry about it at the moment.

4. MillerSC

MillerSC New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks UART & NH70,
    I have 200,000 mi on it.
    The weather here in SC is consistently 90-100 degrees.

I called the remanufactured HV battery place in NC & i may have to make that drive. Do you think I could drive it the 3 1/2 hours it would take me to have them install it and with the AC on too?

Why do you think the other code for the idle speed motor is no longer displayed? I haven't fixed it. I replaced the regular 12v battery last summer.

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At 200K miles, the throttle body can get an accumulation of oily, dirty gunk that can limit the throttle motor movement. It is probably intermittent and like the mechanic said, more likely trouble when cold weather sets back in as that gunk gets stiff. It is not a Prius specific problem, and most mechanics can deal with cleaning.

And at 200K miles in a hot place, it is not surprising that the battery pack is at the end, well used, and a calculation of the savings in fuel consumption over that distance should take the sting out of the cost of repair.

As far as a long trip goes, no one can say for sure. As you look at the energy arrows on the display, you will see that at a steady speed of say 55 mph, on level ground, there will be no arrows going to or from the battery. That means you can travel that way without stressing the battery, as long as you want. It is accelerating or going up significant hills that is the problem.

As an alternative, a mechanic following the procedures available on Priuschat can remove the old battery pack. If you can make the drive in a borrowed car to NC, they will take you old pack and you can come back with the rebuild. Then the mechanic can reinstall and you are good to go. The removal and reinstall is not a big deal mechanically.

6. MillerSC

MillerSC New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update:
    Yesterday I drove 3 1/2 hours up to Sanford NC on nothing but sheer faith and continuous prayers that my car would make it to the repair shop and it did....praise God!!! I had no problems getting there, but I had a constant watch on the display screen and drove between 50 mph up hills and 64 mph down hills (LOL). The people at Taylor's Auto shop who put in the remanufactured batteries (Re-InVolt Tech.) were super nice. They even drove my daughter and I to the local library to hang-out the four hours it took to install the battery and picked us back up when it was ready. There were no complications and they remarked at how good I kept up the maintenance on my car. I ended up paying half the price of what the dealer wanted and I have an 18 month guarantee. However, the mechanic said that the reman battery should last just as long as my initial battery. My daughter and ended up having a great day in and around the surrounding Raleigh area.

Thank you to all who advised me on this repair...PriusChat and it's members are the best!!!!!

7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Excellent. Glad it worked OK. I know from my own times driving in that area (around Research Triangle) that the drivers can be in a hurry, so hopefully you didn't get anybody's dander up by going slower than the speed limit.

This forum is filled with lots of enthusiasts of the Prius, a very knowledgeable group. Keeping them running can be very expensive, but the overall costs are still very favorable if one has good advice.

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nice story, thanks for sharing. :)

I hope the new battery works out well, and if you get a chance could you post a follow up here after you've had it for a while. Just to let everyone know how it's working out. Given that there's other members here are likely to be needing a battery replacement in the future, any feedback would be useful. Thanks.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad you had a good experience.

I doubt the assertion that the "reman" battery will last as long as your initial battery, since the "reman" process puts used modules from salvage vehicles back into service. Who knows how old those modules are, let's say 6 years old on average since the 2G model years are from 2004 - 2009.

Your original battery lasted 9 years, I think if you get 4 more years of service out of the "reman" battery you will be doing very well.