1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poa93 Stuck...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Ljm1715, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Ljm1715

Ljm1715 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Getting Check Hybrid System on a 2010 with 210xxx mile
    Here are the this I verified
    New Inverter water pump When I activate the pump with my scan tool I can see the water move well
    bled the coolant made sure no air
    Check all HV connections all good
    cooling fans are working
    here are the freeze frame data from my scan leaning towards an inverter but just seeing if anyone else has any ideas

Attached Files:

2. Ljm1715

Ljm1715 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The complete HV system was plugged up with something that reminded me of Vaseline back flowed and cleaned seems to have fixed the problem

Attached Files:

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just out of curiosity, is there any chance different coolant was mixed in that system or has it always been exclusively the pink Toyota SLLC?

I've heard many times that green coolant mixed into the SLLC will result in a gel like substance. Never seen it myself yet, but I've never mixed them either....I guess I shouldn't really talk about mixing colors, but more mixing coolants of differing chemistry.

How did you backflush it? Connect a garden hose and blow it back at full pressure?

#3 TMR-JWAP, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  4. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The coolant temp differential would indicate a flow restriction in the heat exchanger.

5. Ljm1715

Ljm1715 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    when I pulled the hoses looks like it had green coolant in the hose going to inverter

6. JayRock_PHX

JayRock_PHX Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If there is GREEN coolant in ANY Prius (or Toyota/Lexus for that matter) then it’s gonna cause freakin issues galore. First starting with inverter pump on gen2s and with waterpumps on gen3s and who knows what else it can CLOG and cause for components to cease operation.

There is a reason why there’s DIFFERENT types of coolant for diff car types. Such as Dexcool and others. Toyota specifically says to use Toyota Super Long Life ( SLLC) I don’t buy the Toyota branded kind but I purchase in bulk the correct RED/PINK type coolant which is for ASAIN vehicles. That’s the ONLY type that should be used in a Prius. I don’t care what anyone else says. It’s either Toyota branded SLLC or use another generic brand that is the generic version for Toyota’s formula. Toyota just charges an arm and a leg for theirs ($29 for a gallon last I checked) I buy the Asian pink/red equivalent from autozone or Oriellys which can be from “Zerex” or “PEAK” or another brand oddily enuff called “OEM”

and here’s your picture of the diff types which I have in my shop ( the ones I use in Prius)

this is why you are getting the issues you are getting. I recommend a complete flush and refill and more than likely another flush after some moderate driving to clear out the green shit and hopefully you are luckilly and it didn’t **** all sorts of shit up.

I attached a pic below and YES there is TWO “ZEREX” you see. Technically the coolants come in a “RED” and a “PINK” either one works fine in the Prius and Toyota’s.

The Pink is “supposed” to be for all “newer” Toyota vehicles which both of these idiot companies state as one being 1990 and up and another says 2004 and up. And the red is supposed to be for “older” but trust me. It works the same. I think it’s some nonsense drummed up.

Attached Files: