1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0AA6 "Check Hybrid System" Help and advice appreciated.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Glyn, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Glyn

Glyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Prius model 2010, ZVW30, 120k kilometers. (approx 80K miles)
    Over two weeks ago I suddenly got an orange triangle and "Check Hybrid System" message.
    I tried:
    - Resetting the error message by removing negative 12v.
    - Checked the orange isolation switch on the HV battery.
    - Replaced the 12v battery with a new one.
    - Checked all fuses.
    - Had it checked by Toyota dealer. (P0AA6 with no sub-codes)

The car drives fine, no obvious increase in fuel consumption.
    After a few minutes of drivng the display, showing the flow of charge stops showing the little animated arrows, and it is no longer possible to chose EV, eco or Sport Mode, these lights also go out. This is also about the same time that it takes for the "Check Hybrid System" message to reappear once it has been cleared.
    Dealer says it's code P0AA6 with no sub-codes.
    At first they couldn't find the fault. After a more in depth search they came to the conclusion that the inverter is at fault and needs to be replaced at a cost of €3000 plus labour.
    I'd like to have a look myself, specifically the short wave values mentioned by Travis Decker in one of his replies to a similar problem
    Travis Decker | PriusChat
    - Got a cheap obdII connector. Techstream is reporting P0AA6 with no sub-codes. "Hybrid Battery Voltage System Isolation Fault".
    Short wave highest value is showing as 0.03, which indicates a short somewhere.
    - Today I isolated the Air-Con high voltage supply by removing the HV cable and fuse from the inverter.
    The system still threw the error message, so I guess the cabling there is OK.
    - I measured resistance on theinverter input cable from the hybrid battery. Between the side that I presume is negative and the chassis neagtive is 0.0 Ohms.
    Is this correct? Does the 12v and HV share the same earth?

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

I'd be grateful for any help or suggestions (Also with using Techstream as I have no clue)
    I've ordered a used inverter, but it's going to take a few weeks to arrive.

If you've read this far, then thanks for your patience and interest!

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The HV system is isolated from the chassis so you should have a high resistance when measuring anywhere HV to chassis. The point you are measuring in the photo (assuming the car is off) would also be checking the HV cables all the way back to the relays in the HV battery. I seem to remember another forum member having a similar issue and finding that the end of one of the cables had a bad crimp where some of the shielded cable was frayed and making contact with chassis ground.

You may want to disconnect the orange cables at both ends and take readings on everything again.

3. Glyn

Glyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Thanks for your suggestion TMR-JWAP.
    I did just that this morning.
    Disconnected the Hybrid barrety cable from both the Inverter and the Battery, obviously with the isolation switch removed.
    At first I was getting a reading of 0 Ohm between the HV negative lead and the car Chassis.
    Then I unbolted the lead also from the chassis
    DSC_0014_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
    Now I only get a zero Ohm reading between the HV battery lead and the HV cable shielding.
    Measured at both ends of the cable.
    DSC_0016_Bildgröße ändern.JPG DSC_0017_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
    Can I assume that the HV cable has somehow become damaged and that this needs replacing?

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Measuring from the shield to chassis should be low resistance, as the shield should be connected to the chassis but you definitely should not have low resistance between the HV cable and the cable shield. If you're getting 0 ohms, then it certainly sounds like there's been some type of damage that crushed the cable to the point where the HV conductor is making contact with the shielding.

If not crushing damage, I suppose any type of conductive material that may have worked into a connection joint could create a leakage path/short circuit.

5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any update of the cable?

6. Glyn

Glyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Took my car back to the Toyota garage where they measured everything again and confirmed that there is a short between the HV cable and the mesh shielding. Most probably caused by a marten trying to bite through the cable.
    There is no obvious damage to the cable but some scuff marks, possibly the HV cable and shielding has been compressed together .
    Now I have to convince my insurance company that the damage was caused by a rodent.

7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hopefully you can find evidence of the rodents in other places in the car.

8. mikeflores2000

mikeflores2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1) My Intelligent Power Module is covered under a 15 year unlimited mile Enhancement Warranty.
    2) Inverter failed at 77985 miles and replaced under warranty. Inverter out of stock and took over a month to replace while a rental car provided at no charge. Purchased my new 2010 Prius July 14, 2009.

5/31/14

INVERTER ASSEMBLY WITH CONV
    CUSTOMER REQUESTS TO DIAGNOSE TH E CHECL ENGINE OR M.I.L. LIGHT. PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE ~|~DC POWER INVERTER HAD INTERNA L FAILURE. ~|~77985 VERIFIED CUSTOMER CO NCERN. PULLEDCODE P0A94-DC/DC PO WER INVERTER. CODE WILLNOT RESET DUE TO INTERNAL FAILURE. REPLAC EDDC/DC POWER INVERTER WITH NEW. OK.

PARTS
    NAME
    PART # QTY
    INVERTER ASSY, W/CON G920049025 1
    WARRANTY PAY

9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are they going to warranty the cable? Or will you have to purchase a new one?
    Or will you repair it yourself?