1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pol; Minimum Acceptable Range for the Leaf

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by DaveinOlyWA, Apr 13, 2010.

?

Minimum Acceptable Range

Poll closed May 13, 2010.
  1. 50

10.8%
  2. 60

5.4%
  3. 70

16.2%
  4. 80

29.7%
  5. 100 +

37.8%
  1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well there has been a pretty active discussion of the "possible" drawbacks over range anxiety on the Leaf and how it would perform in cold weather or extreme driving conditions with continuous elevation changes, etc.

so on the poll, as long as everything else was ok. what is the minimum you could accept

**EDIT**

as we all know, YMMV. Nissan had a Q&A on twitter last night (4/14) and emphasized that 100 miles is not nominal range, its the MINIMUM range under "normal" driving conditions which includes freeway trips at 60-65 mph.

on the range poll, we want your minimum range under what would be one of the colder days you experience every winter. sure there are extremes, "100 year storms, yada yada. forget those. we want whats normally expected as a "bad or cold winter day"

2. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I am fine with 80 miles, my roundtrip commute is 34 miles, so this more than covers it.

I would be more concerned with how many "charge/discharge" cycles the battery pack will have. Nissan has stated that won't matter, and the pack will have a 10 year life, no matter how many times it is charged/discharged. This is important, as this will affect when the battery pack REALLY has to be replaced.

3. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    60-80 would work for my commute. I answered 100 because that would be right in my sweet spot, as it would work for commuting and also for an 84mile drive I do about every two months.

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, my minimal needs is only about 40 miles but i want as much as i can get. but i can live with as little as 60 miles as long as its the "dead of winter" range.

Li is less affected by temps but there will be some effect caused by denser cold air, rain and snow increasing rolling resistance, etc.

as far as charge cycles, i am sure Nissan is hoping for a nominal 100 to 150,000 miles before pack replacement. not out of the question with proper battery management. but getting that process right has been the holy grail after extended range options.

i am guessing that in 5-8 years when packs start being replaced, high volumes will provide a much cheaper and more efficient battery to swap. also, i think as better batteries come out, the better offs will be replacing them for the additional range creating a viable used battery market as well

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My Xebra will go 40 miles if I need that, but 32 miles is 80% DoD, which I'm told is what's good for the batteries. The Porsche (once I eventually get it back) will go 80 miles, with 64 miles being that good-for-the-batteries range. So I would not buy a car with less than 100 miles range.

That gives me all the buffer I need for bad weather/heating/air-conditioning diminishment, etc., as well as reductions for aggressive driving (which I can refrain from when I need to push my range). (With the Xebra I have two distinct driving styles. If I am going to drive in the 25 to 35 mile range I feather-foot the pedal. If I'm just driving 10 to 15 miles I floor it. I'd have a similar approach to the Leaf, driving hard around town and driving gently for anything over 60 miles or so... if I ever drive that far, which seems unlikely.)

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i guess i should have phrased it "minimum usable range" but i did say its the range under the worst of driving conditions which would normally mean the dead of winter

7. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My round trip commute is 22 miles per day. So if you include a buffer of double the mileage and add 25% to keep the SOC in the optimum range for battery life I would need at least a 50 mile range in the worst possible conditions.

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Unlike the Xebra or the Zenn, which are primitive cars without built-in battery protection, the Leaf will take care of its batteries, so we should not have to baby them. The guy I spoke with at Nissan a few months ago assured me that the ten-year battery life applied even if the car is regularly driven 100 miles on a charge.

So one need only take into account reduced range due to use of heat or A/C or high speed or jackrabbit driving.

But I don't go by worst-case driving, because when I want to drive near the car's maximum range I can choose to drive gently; and Spokane's winters are not like Fargo's. So I say I demand a 100-mile range under ideal conditions, because that means I'll manage even under less-than-ideal conditions. And the leaf will not be my only car because it's not going to get me to Revelstoke, B.C., so I'll still need the stinker.

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've said 100 miles.

I'm a bit of a cynic and feel that an advertised 100 mile range is probably the same as an advertised 70 mpg. You will probably get about two thirds of this in real life.

How is the 100 mile range calculated? Is it the maximum it will achieve in ideal conditions? So what happens when you need to drive to work in winter with the electrical heating and lights on full time?

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My daily driving range is variable and large, so I simply am not a Leaf customer. (this does not mean I do not wish the Leaf well, I do. I see it as an answer to a great many people who have a relatively fixed weekday schedule)
    My Service Area - Google Maps
    My Prius's 400 mile range is only tolerable because 'recharging' it only takes 15 minutes.

11. oldtown

oldtown New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Living in a more rural area causes longer trips on a semi-regular basis, while work commute still lies within bicycle range. This tips the balance towards a longer range than work commute would require, so I put a round trip to the nearest metropolitan region into play. That sort of flexibility is needed to justify an electric vehicle to a long time bicycle commuter. The Prius provides a good compromise now. Looking at the lines at the San Ysidro crossing the other day, the Prius does pick a lot of low hanging fruit as is!

12. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds like some confusion about the poll - is it the minimum acceptable range BEFORE considering adverse factors like rain or SOC, or minimum range even under the worst conditions?

And as Danial points out, is the SOC factored into Nissan's "100-mile" estimate? I think that's part of the problem - what did Nissan base their estimate on?

IMO, regardless of what math they use, if they advertise 100, it had better be able to do 80 just about every day - that's 20% below their estimate, and we've seen the Prius rarely does worse than 20% below EPA for "typical" driving.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The man on the Nissan Leaf customer support line told me you can actually drive the car 100 miles on a charge, at moderate freeway speed (I think he said 60 or 65 mph -- not 75) without shortening battery life.

I assume this means without using heater or A/C, and driving in a normal, moderate manner. He told me the figure was based on actual real world driving: that the car had been repeatedly driven 100 miles on a charge.

Nissan is not stupid. Companies like Zap and EEStor make their money by making exaggerated or false claims and promoting vaporware in hopes of attracting investment or manipulating their own stock price. Nissan makes money by selling cars. If they get this one right they will be first in the market and will have a position like Toyota has with hybrids. Nissan will become the company you think of when someone says EV and they'll have a market share that will be hard for any other company to challenge. They will profit BIG TIME. If they get it wrong they will join GM on the electric transportation hate list.

My opinion is that they are going to do everything they possibly can to get it right, and that includes not making exaggerated claims that sell a few cars now but leave consumers feeling defrauded.

This is going to be one fine car! I'd write them a check for the full purchase price today, in return for the promise of a car in December. (Unfortunately, I may have gotten onto the mailing list too late to get a car in December. People who had their eyes open and got on early are going to snap up the entire 2010 production.)

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Range anxiety? Good! Hopefully that'll keep me from being nixed out of the wait list. Be afraid everybody be VERY afraid.
    :D

15. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    hill, I think those same "range anxiety" people also suffer from "short man" (Penis?) syndrome as well :)

16. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Its technique that matters, not size! :)

17. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I say as long as the ev gives the same range in the same situation, there should be no anxiety. The longer the range the better chance of running into a charging station

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    probably the wrong thread for this, but anyone who has twitter (or are thinking about it) there was a decent Q&A last night on the Leaf. they are really really tooting their horn. they reiterated a few times

1) YMMV
    2) 100 miles is the MINIMUM u can expect under normal driving conditions

now there is still the debate on what temp extremes will do to the range. so OP has been updated.

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, I already answered the poll and I don't think I can change my answer there. But my minimum requirement is 80 miles under the most unfavorable conditions likely to occur aside from 100-year storms or disasters. I feel that 100 miles nominal will give me that. And your clarification suggests that the Leaf will exceed that.

Lots and lots of conflicting information out there. I'm just going to do whatever I can to try to order a Leaf, and at the same time hope that my Porsche becomes functional. (My guy thinks December is a possibility for that, but no promises. -- The Porsche, of course, was supposed to have a range of 125 miles to empty or 100 miles to 80% DoD, in good weather at freeway speed. It actually has about 2/3 of that.)

20. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with daniel, 80 miles under adverse conditions. the percent range loss sounds very inline with what tesla roadster/ other ev owners suffer during adverse conditions (cold weather, heavy rain, etc)