1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Police Academy

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Spectra, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The officer in this dash-cam vid must have been driving Car 54, and had attended "Three Stooges Police Academy."

But he forgot to jump up, grab his hat, and yell "Woooob-Woooob-Woooob!!" as he ran back to his paddy wagon.

I know, I know, it IS serious business -- but I had to chuckle.
    And don't worry -- he didn't "get dragged" at all!

Dashcam Video: Officer Gets Dragged | NBC Philadelphia

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    "She shuts the door, starts the car, and takes off with the Sergeant still holding on"

Yeah, not quite. She started the car, put it into gear, at which point the officer grabbed her. She took off while he was holding on to her and the door closed on her arm.

I mean honestly... sensationalist reporting at its best here!

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is there a reason to physically drag the woman from the car. What part of "your driving, your car and your license plate are being recorded" is not enough?

4. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    .......... but does look like something might have been tossed from the right side of the car, as she drove off...........

5. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've watched it 3 times now looking for that, i honestly can't see what you're seeing...

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What's he doing trying to physically drag a pregnant woman out of a car anyway???

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :tsk:

Oh boy .....

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The stop was for an outstanding warrant, so they were already looking for her. If they didn't stop her, there would be two warrants. That, of course, doesn't answer the bigger question about why they couldn't find her in the first place.

Tom

9. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Well, a warrant doesn't exactly mean they're looking for her... My mom had a warrant issued for her for over a month before she even found out about it. A parking ticket fine was mailed in a week before it was "due", yet the city didn't cash it until a day after, charging her a late penalty and not telling her about it. When she failed to pay the late penalty, they issued a warrant.

Of course, she had mailed in the payment and gotten a return receipt showing that it arrived at the courthouse before the due date, so it all got straightened out pretty quickly, but all the same...

10. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    i recently was pulled over by a traffic cop at a busy corner by my house. The cop was on the other side of a light where he said I ran the left light arrow. I know he could not see the light because it was not visible to him and i told him. He ticketed me anyway. I got home and received a ticket in the mail from a newly mounted camera at the same intersection, the movie showed I coasted slowly to the light, did not stop and turned right, nailed dead to 'right'.
    Two tickets in one day. I have to tell you if I would have received the mail ticket first and got stopped by the cop second I probably would have felt frantic like this woman.

Tony, watch out for those damn cameras, Chicago is ordering a sh!tload of them!

11. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You should have gone in and argued that... it's double jeopardy - you were ticketed twice for the same reason for the same action!

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had a friend who was sentenced to jail time for protesting the Navy's Extremely Low Frequency ("ELF") transmitter in Wisconsin. It's a system for sending messages to submerged Trident submarines at sea. I'm not sure if it's still operating. Anyway, he went to the jail and said, "Here I am. I was sentenced to jail. Let me in." And the cops told him, "Go away. We're full."

I kid you not.

13. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The ELF system is still in use, as it provides the only working system for communicating with deep running submarines. The system in Wisconsin was a test installation. An attempt to install a full working system in Wisconsin was met with protests from people like your friend. The working system was eventually installed in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Tom

14. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Usually when a warrant is put out for someone they send it via mail and/or sometimes they go to the known address and attempt to serve the warrant. If and when they find you the standard operating procedure is arrest. As a Law Enforcement Officer if you don’t execute the warrant (i.e. do your job) you may not have a job or be a LEO for very long. So this officer wishing only to keep his job, pay the mortgage and feed his family attempted to “execute the warrant” nothing unusual about this process. Except when someone does not comply and BTW when you are located you don't get to explain. They have already heard every conceivable excuse in the books and you don’t get to drive yourself down at your earliest convenience. In this case the woman refused a lawful order and attempted to flee. What would you have done if you were in the LEO’s shoes?

Personally I think he should have Tazed her it would have been a HooT to watch a pregnant woman rolling around on the ground screaming “DON’T TAZ ME BRO!” LOL!

Officer1: Get out of the car or I'm going to Taz you.

Woman: blah blah blah

Officer1: (Fires taser)

Woman: Wahahahaaaaaaaa (falls out of car with a lot of screaming and thrashing around)

Officer1: roll onto your stomach put your hands behind your back or you are going to get tazed again!

Woman: I can’t

Officer1: (Thinking wanna bet? Activates taser again)

Woman: Wahahahaaaaaaaa (more screaming and thrashing but with a little help from Officer 2 remembers the ability she used to have as a two year old to roll onto her stomach and put her hands behind her back. She quickly executes the maneuver and would have scored a 9.7 if this had been an Olympic event!) :nod:

Officer2: got blood on her . . . (no kidding all that thrashing around)

Woman: OW OW Wahahahahhaahaaha

Cutaway for unknown amount of time: (dang)

Woman: Oh My God! You, you two you tazed me, and you handcuffed me . . .

Officer: Yep you're under arrest. :nod:

Woman: For what reason?

Officer1: Your license is suspended (but thinking "for being a dumbsh*t moron and not getting out of the car.") :thumb: :pound:

Wildkow

p.s. I wonder which part of "Get out of the car" these two women didn't understand?

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You may recall a discussion I had awhile back about EMP. This was first theorized in the mid 1950's by Dr Nicholas Christofilos. A very eccentric and brilliant scientist at Lawrence Livermore, he is generally credited with the Strong Focusing Principle.

His brilliance was compared to Einstein and Tesla all rolled into one. This sort of brilliance didn't escape the notice of the AEC, forerunner of the DOE.

He theorized the production of EMP from exoatmospheric nuclear detonations, which directly lead to the secret Project Argus. He was involved in many secret projects, the details of which are still Classified and/or heavily censored even today: ASTRON, Sherwood, etc

The test site you mentioned was developed under Project Sanguine, the working phase called Project Seafarer. Yes, his theory from the late 1950's is still in use today, there are publically known sites in Holt, Australia; Adak, Alaska (Recently closed), Iceland, and a few other locations

Very Low Frequency (VLF) - United States Nuclear Forces

If you're curious about ELF/VLF, this page from Stanford is pretty interesting

Stanford VLF Group

Unlike the TACAMO system, ELF/VLF will continue to operate in a nuclear weapon EMP environment. During Operation Dominic, the Fishbowl exoatmospheric test series also tested the impact of EMP on communications

All normal atmospheric communications (VHF, UHF, ionispheric scatter, troposcatter, etc) are disrupted immediately by an EMP event, and in some cases this disruption can extend for 4-12 hours following the EMP event: it depends on the height of detonation, the strength of the earth's magnetic field (The South Atlantic Anomoly off the coast of South Africa is where Project Argus was conducted), and a few other factors

Your friend who protested at the Sanguine site, was he actually in the forbidden zone? There are health effects from ELF/VLF that one should be aware of

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually, TACAMO can provide communications if the sub isn't submerged too deeply. The primary intent is an EMP survivable communication system

The real reason all those Arctic radar bases were abandoned in the mid 70's to mid 80's was the very real fact a single EMP event would have blinded all of them: radar scatter, radar jitter, radar blackout, etc. Let's not forget the only communications those sites had with the SAGE network was over troposcatter. In an EMP event, Troposcatter is completely disrupted, and remains so for several hours as testing during Operation Dominic - Fishbowl proved

There are a few publically known sites, I posted a link in reply to Daniel. There are other sites I will not go into

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Screeching back on topic, there is also the interesting case of NFL's Ryan Moat's who rushed to a hospital in Dallas to be with his dying mother-in-law. A DPS officer pulled him over for running a red light, and despite a nurse rushing out to tell the officer that the man's mother-in-law was moments away from croaking, he kept the family from seeing the poor woman

Dallas police chief apologizes for conduct of officer who drew gun on NFL player outside hospital | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

The one comment the cop made to the guy: "I can screw you over ..."

I realize cops aren't the brightest bulbs on the tree, but with that Digital Eyewitness system running, recording audio and video ....

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Kow: Your glee at the prospect of hitting a pregnant woman with a taser, and your evident joy at the thought of seeing her rolling on the ground in pain, says something very unflattering about you.

Jay: My friends were protesting both the nuclear connection (ELF would be used if the U.S. decided to send a launch order to the subs) and the health effects on the local population of the high-power transmissions. I was also arrested there once, though on that occasion I only spent one night in jail. I know of two times when protesters (a single person in one case, and two together in another case) cut down poles supporting the antenna. In both cases, the protesters served prison time. Six months or a year, I don't remember exactly.

My understanding (and this is what I learned from my friends, who are not electrical engineers) is that the reason for ELF is not its EMP survivability. It is too soft a target. Maybe it would survive an EMP, but it would not survive a nuclear detonation anywhere around. Thus in a first strike it would be knocked out, and would therefore be useless as a retaliatory measure under M.A.D. Its strength is that it can send a mesage to submerged subs. The anti-nuclear community considers ELF to be part of a first-strike strategy, sending the coded launch order while the subs are cruising submerged and hidden.

It is specifically the Trident subs that trail the very long antennas needed to receive the signals. A single Trident sub carries 200 warheads, enough to incinerate every major city in the world and initiate a nuclear winter.

It is believed in the anti-nuclear community (though I have no independent knowledge of this) that while the missile officers at the land-based missile systems cannot launch their missiles without codes which would be sent to them with a launch order, the captain of a Trident submarine has the ability to fire his missiles without more codes than he has in his possession.

Shades of Dr. Strangelove...

Those captains are very carefully vetted. But if one of them (just one!) were to go bonkers one day, poof! that would be the end of civilization as we know it: No more industry, no more grocery stores, no more fossil fuel, no more electric grid, no more pharmaceuticals, money would be worthless, and probably no sunlight for a year or two. And of course, one supposes it's the same with the Russian nuclear-armed subs, though they probably have fewer nukes per sub.

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yikes, it certainly does. A person who exhibits cheerful glee at the suffering of others would have had gainful employment under various oppressive regimes of the past

Not only high power output, but the frequency can vary from 4-50 Hz. Not KHz, not MHz, but Hz. You can FEEL frequency that low, and it's thought to have very serious health impact on CNS soft tissues, eg brain, spinal cord, nerves, etc

The "official" health impacts due to ELF/VLF are still classified. These systems are - for the most part - now located in very remote/isolated areas

ELF/VLF is also thought to dramatically impact whale "speech" and navigation. Kind of curious how whales started beaching themselves en masse once Project Sanguine went from a science experiment to a working system

That must have been a test site. The modern sites no longer use aerial equipment, everything is buried deeply out of sight

I should have been more specific in my discussion of EMP

High Altitude Electro Magnetic Pulse - HAEMP - is a fairly unique effect of exoatmospheric nuclear detonations. An exoatmospheric detonation is at or beyond the very edge of the atmosphere, eg in the Van Allen Belt

As an example: During Operation Dominic in the Pacific, at Johnston Island, the Fishbowl series of tests was intended to further explore the theories of Dr Nicholas Christofilos, by detonating extremely high altitude nuclear weapons, with instrumented payloads in the geomagnetic region

It was found the HAEMP is very dependant on altitude. As an example, consider a 1 MT weapon fused for ground burst. Based on published reports such as Nuclear Weapons Effects, the crater will probably be 600 metres. The interaction of the expanding fireball, and the plasma briefly within the fireball, will contain the EMP within the crater area. This was proven by actual weapon tests at Bikini Atoll

To have significant tactical EMP generation, you must greatly increase altitude to the point that even a 20 MT weapon would have absolutely no effect whatsoever on the ground. Well, perhaps an observer on the ground who happened to look directly up at the point of detonation, would receive significant retinal burning

But the primary goal of detonating an exoatmospheric weapon is to generate enormous amounts of HAEMP due to how relativistic electrons from the bomb interact with the geomagnetic belt. Lower altitude bursts produce little EMP effect

Eg: The Bluegill Triple Prime test of Oct 26, 1962. This was a 410 KT weapon detonated 50 km above Johnston Island. There was minimal EMP generation

The Kingfish test of Nov 1, 1962 also used a 410 KT yield warhead, but it was detonated at an altitude of 97 km above Johnston Island. This test generated significant HAEMP, it completely disrupted the ionosphere, and as a result all radio communication was out over the entire Pacific basin for around 3 hours

The Starfish Prime test of July 9, 1962 had a 1.4 MT warhead, detonated 400 km above Johnston Island. This was truely exoatmospheric. In Hawaii, extensive damage was done to the power grids, and a troposcatter communication system used between Kauai and the other islands was actually BURNED OUT by the EMP. This was strictly vacuum tube electronics

One tidbit: Starfish Prime used a Cd-109 tracer. Up to 5 years beyond the event, that tracer was still showing up at arctic and antarctic recording stations, in addition to recording stations all over the earth

I agree that any critical communication system, any system of strategic value, is a prime First Strike target. Eg the silos in ND and SD. However, unlike conventional RF communication, ELF/VLF is resistant to EMP

Only if directly targeted with a weapon. Most of those sites are underground and would require highly accurate weapons to minimize circular error probability

The TACAMO aircraft can do the same thing, otherwise known as "Looking Glass." TACAMO aircraft can receive coded EAM's, relay them, and retransmit them to submerged submarines.

TACAMO aircraft are not normally used for "routine" coded messages. The land based ELF/VLF network is used for that purpose.

That makes good movie fodder, but consider this: if that were true, then why bother with exotically expensive ELF/VLF transmitters and a fleet of TACAMO aircraft that cost billions a year to keep in the air? All the sub would have to do is guess if a war had broken out due to loss of communication, and launch on command

The EAM also includes codes to complete the key sequence, without which the weapon cannot arm

Nuclear Matters: A Practical Guide

Especially during the Soviet era, they were very cagey and quiet about that aspect of their submarines. Given the nature of the duty, it's doubtful the former Soviet Union employed security any less stringent than we did, eg "No Lone Zone"

Indeed, after a few accidents involving B-52 crashes, which uncovered a structural weakness in early B-52 model tails due to constant flying as part of Operation Chrome Dome, the US was very candid in communicating these concerns to the former Soviets

Eg: a certain large bomb design after a B-52 crash was discovered to have a design flaw in the safety systems. All but one of the safety devices failed, which is scary as only one little safety component kept the weapon from going to full nuclear yield upon impact with the ground

This resulted in billions upon billions in rework, and although the US probably didn't pass along details of the rework, they did tell the Soviets "Oh, heads up, if your bomb is in a bomber that breaks up in flight, and the weapon free falls to the ground, you may want to redesign the XYZ Widget to better resist impact with the ground"

20. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I know a sub captain who backed over and cut off a trailing antenna - kind of embarrassing when you do that.

There are multiple reasons to use ELF, as Jayman points out. This is an area where I have some experience, and as a result, I am limited in what I can say. Both depth and speed have negative impacts on communication with subs. Other factors also enter into play, such as thermoclines and salinity. ELF penetrates to great depths, and is resistant to EMP, but it has a very low bandwidth. It takes a long time to send a small amount of information. Think of it as being like a really slow dial-up modem. It is normally used to send very short coded messages. Other than a doomsday message, ELF can be used to tell a sub to move to an area sutible for higher speed communication.

Other communication techniques have been tested with submarines, including lasers. When communicating with a sub, there is both the issue of communication plus the need to not reveal the sub's location. It can be tricky.

This is never publicly discussed. What can be said is that the rules have changed as we moved away from the cold war. That said, even during the worst days of the cold war, one person could never arm and launch nuclear devices. The reason is obvious, as you have pointed out above.

Tom