1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

polishing cloth for final exterior wipedown

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cycledrum, Dec 7, 2008.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Post deleted.

No recommendation for using polishing cloth for last wipedown of car.

Use drying towels as recommended.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or use Mr. Clean Autodry. No wiping required, unless you have very hard water.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't use a drying towel on your car. Its rough on the clearcoat and any wax on the car. To abrasive. Any rubbing with any dry cloth is micro-burnishing the surface not to mention how much static electricity your putting on the car surface. Go back to AutoZone and get a better way. Its called the California Water Blade.

Its quicker and cheaper and much easier on the paint:

California 12 Water Blade - Water Blade - CaliforniaCarDusters.com

Check out ebay for the microfiber. You can buy a dozen for $5. I got 100 of them.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll check out the water blade.

Don't recall the site, but for quality detailing, they recommended using a waffle weave microfiber drying towel. I'll look closer at the clearcoat now that you mentioned.

As for microfiber cloths, I have a bunch of the standard small terrys. They grab on the paint surface when doing a final wipe, so I do not use them.

The polishing cloth surface appears much the same as the other terry MF towels, but the polishing cloth does not grab.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The water blade is quick. There's spots because your allowing the water to dry on the car. Towel takes to long. If you blade off the water for the most part really fast you'll have no spots. Just go around the car real quick.
    But if you have an excellent wax on the car and blade it off correctly another rub down will be unnecessary. The less you rub the wax with anything the longer it will last.

6. tecrench

tecrench Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Having owned several black cars including currently owning a black Prius, Volvo... I use a chamois to dry and Meguiar's Quik Detailer/Diaper cloth to maintain, which is a ongoing battle down here;)

7. angelinadavid

angelinadavid New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Using water blade is good for them than using cloths or sponges,,,,

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes having owned one new black car I understand. Its a constant battle with alot of polishing. You must be a young and strong lad. Its terrible down here in Florida with a black car with all the love bugs and then the oak dust season. Whenever I see a polished black car in traffic I immed. think hey they must be rich to be able to get there car detailed so often!
    Which is why i went with the Driftwood. And vowed never ever to buy a black car again. They look awesome but omg....