1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Politeness over the mediocre quality of served dishes at restaurants.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dsunman, May 4, 2006.

1. dsunman

dsunman New Member

I always have dilemma with my friends admitting to me that there's something wrong with a given dish. Hypocritically they will politely smile to waiters and waitresses with a response how delicious the dish is. I question them why?
    Why would they settle for it? The dish is not a freebee, someone ultimately is paying for it. When questioned my friends will shrug with an explanation "I don't want to make too much fuss about it"

I'm not talking about bottom line establishments. In many instances this happens even at the top notch places.

Is it important for a chef to be aware of a verity of his creation?

:)

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's a tough thing to do.
    Complain: look snobbish, have to wait for more food while everyone else is eating, create more work for the kitchen (who's probably already up to their you know what in alligators).

Don't Complain:Complacency of the kitchen continues, Chef unaware of problems that he'd like to correct, you're not getting what you paid for, others may also get poor meals due to the fact that no one pointed it out.

My rule of thumb: Varies by the circumstances. Lunch time, limited time to eat and get back to work or an appt. or whatever, unless it's just terrible I won't ask for a new meal. I'll mention to the wait person at the end that I was dissatisfied and what the problem was, but I intentionally wait so I'm not put into the "can I get you something else" situation.

Dinner, plenty of time, not a large group of people or a meeting--I'll let the wait person know ASAP...I, for instance, have no tolerance for overcooked steaks, or severely over-salted food. I stop eating and get the wait person's attention ASAP to have it taken away and fixed.

If it is a large meeting and it would be disruptive I try to just 'grin and bear it', but if it's really bad I'll complain. I spend too much hard earned money to take mediocracy....I'm a food freak and I know how food should be done and what's involved.

So, yea, I think you have to play the situation by ear.

I sent back my first bottle of wine a few weeks ago. I can't tell you how uncomfortable that was...the thing is I knew it was bad...it was our second bottle of the same vintage and it was just terrible...vinegar and acid. I took 3 sips to be sure and still quearied the table before I did it. I just knew everyone would think I was trying to show off or be a snob or something. I, at least, had my wife taste it to confirm it wasn't right, but I felt just terribly embarrased and uncomfortable...but I did it and it was the right thing to do...to make it right.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't go to restaurants where that happens.

I agree with you that one should let the kitchen know if a dish was not good, but I would be too embarrased except in an extreme case (such as Evan's bottle of vinegar -- though I don't drink alcohol).

However, when they ask me if the food is good, I tell them honestly if it's really great (which I expect when I eat at a restaurant). Otherwise they get an unenthusiastic ("it's okay", or "it's fine," by which I mean "acceptable.") I suppose if it was really bad I'd say something. But again, I don't go to restaurants where that happens.

And if I am in a low-class restaurant because I'm with friends, I say I'm not hungry and eat nothing. I'd rather eat a good meal at home later than waste calories and appetite eating mediocre food. If a restaurant serves food that's not as good as I'd get at home, I wait to eat until I am home. Skipping lunch never hurt anyone.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 4 2006, 08:49 AM) [snapback]249643[/snapback]</div>
    It's happened to me in restraunts of every variety and price/quality level. I've sent back food that was inappropriately cooked in some of the finest restraunts in the country (got a crab puff that was literally frozen in the center at Brussard's in New Orleans), and raw chicken at KFC. I just don't think there's any way to avoid the issue 100% of the time.

But, normally, I do eat what's put before me except in the most severe cases rather than make a seen, or embarrass those I'm dining with.

5. Schmika

Schmika New Member

As I get older, I have become less likely to "let it go". It usually isn't the food though...it is the service. I am not a picky eater...but I expect sevice to be better as you go "up" the cost chain. Also, my oldest has been a server for 3 years and she is my standard now (I think she is excellent).

The other day I ordered the Strawberry Shortcake at "Tumbleweed's". I did not like it and told the server. But I also told her there was nothing wrong with it, I just didn't like it. My wife thought it was fine. The manager came out all concerned. I didn't ask for anything since I told him it was a matter of taste. I prefer sweet biscuits (there's is a plain biscuit with a glaze coating) and I like non-crunchy strawberries with sugary sauce. Kinda like the way my mom made it.

Anyway...I am rambling. I don't tolerate mediocre service....too many restaurants can make good food to tolerate it.

6. Subversive

Subversive New Member

Good/bad tips (for service) and good/bad comment cards are helpful too. There is nothing snobbish about it, you are providing a valuable service. Plus, as was stated earlier, there are many occasions in which you will get some free food out of the deal.

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If I am trying something new and the taste isn't quite to my liking, me personally, I keep it.
    But, there is nothing wrong with sending back ill-prepared food. Restaurant owners would much rather you return food than to go away unhappy with the quality and never return.

A couple of weeks ago we were out to dinner with some friends at a mid-priced joint with a good reputation – I had been there several times. The she friend is allergic to a certain type of nut (I don't remember which). She carries an antidote in her purse because it is that serious. She had her heart set on a certain dish . . . which, according to the menu, is prepared with “that†nut. She asked the waiter, who said, “absolutely, it can be prepared without that nut.†The friend reiterated the seriousness of her allergy. The waiter went and asked the chef, came back and said all would be OK, so, she ordered the dish. When it came, she dug around to make sure, then took a couple of bites. After playing around with her food a little more, she found one of “those†nuts! :eek:

Of course she returned the dish. Instead of the waiter taking the plate, the restaurant's policy is to have the chef personally come retrieve it and deliver the replacement. Now that is personalized service! He apologized profusely several times, made her another plate of the same (without nuts this time), and then apologized a few more times.

They not only comped her meal, they comped the entire table. :D
    We left what would have been twice the tip . . . afterall, it wasn't the waiter's fault - and he had to spend extra time on us.
    Because of the way they handled the situation, they did not lose a customer.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Consumer studies show that most people don't complain during a bad experience, but don't come back and also tell their friends about it, so I'd say that most people vote with their feet. I fall into this category. I don't often complain unless it's really bad. Like others here, I hate to look pompous.

Tom

9. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I eat out often (maybe 3-5 times a week), restaurants of all ranges, but for the most part, stick to the Carrabba's, Outback's, Long Horn's, Olive Garden's for non-special, daily dinners/meals. I'm pretty much with doc on this, it varies and depends upon the situation...

There are some generalizations for me though: I'll never yell at waitstaff (unless it's something really bad and blatant), and I'll almost always tip heavily, as MOST don't want to wait tables, and are just trying to make a living...

When my parents lived in NYC, we used to eat out so much, I never appreciated a good restaurant. My dad would sometimes (often it seemed..lol) blow-up, and I mean REALLY blow-up on the waitstaff if the service was off by even a hair. Never really saw the point in getting worked up over it, if it's that crappy, I just usually get up and leave and tell the Maitre'd why, and that's the end of it...

10. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If something is undercooked or obviously not right I would probably send it back. With good service and food comes good tips though..besides a good meal, a full water glass is big for me.

My friend gave me the best compliment ever, she said because I cook so well that sometimes I must be disappointed at a restaurant. I try to look at every dining experience as a chance to learn and enjoy the company.