1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Political Trivia

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JackDodge, Feb 28, 2007.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Ask a trivia question and the one who answers it asks another one.

For starters: What was the theme song for the Republican convention in 1988?

2. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Feb 28 2007, 12:58 PM) [snapback]397899[/snapback]</div>
    answer: Don't Worry, Be Happy

Who was Gerald Ford's secretary of defense's chief of staff?

3. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Feb 28 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]397906[/snapback]</div>
    Good grief! That isn't trivia, it's a hard goddamn history exam! I'm not even sure it makes sense: the defense secretary's chiefs of staff number at least five, one for each branch of the service. Perhaps you meant who were Ford's defense secretary and chief of staff, respectively? That's a tad easier, more in the trivia line: our pleasant friends in the present administration (well, one now FORMER member of the administration) - Cheney and Rumsfeld. Or the other way round.

Who coined the word "McGuffin" - and what IS a "McGuffin"?

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

4. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    McGuffin....hmm I could cheat and Google it, but I won't. I know it has something to do with mystery writing.

Ps. Wasn't the themesong a Fleetwood Mac song (Dont' Stop Thinkin about Tomorrow"?)

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AuntBee @ Mar 1 2007, 12:25 AM) [snapback]398291[/snapback]</div>
    Ooh! I know that one without even using Google, cinema buff that I am - Alfred Hitchcock used to to describe something that was pivotal to a plot, but it in itself was unimportant (example: the briefcase in "Pulp Fiction").

"Don't Stop Thinkin' 'bout Tomorrow" was Bill Clinton's campaign song.

I thought the Republican song was "Everybody Wants To Rule the World" :)

6. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Man, this thread needs a boost!

Here's an easy one (no fair peeking at your atlas):

Ten countries on the planet currently have four letter names, and have had these names for at least a century (so Siam doesn't qualify since it no longer exists as a country) - name them.

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

And you guys thought my Major System challenge was hard.... SHEEESH!

8. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Mar 1 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]398669[/snapback]</div>
    I'm gonna try not to cheat...

Laos
    Peru
    Fiji (Is it a country?)

And that's it. That's all I've got. Anyone else with the other seven? (Even though I'm not sure that this counts as political trivia. More like geographical.)

9. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 1 2007, 07:19 PM) [snapback]398853[/snapback]</div>
    All I could come up with are

Iraq
    Iran

10. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, Fiji is one of the 10.

I lied - this is NOT an easy puzzle. I only got 7 when I was given it, and only one person I know of got all 10 (which amazed everybody!)

MB

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oman
    Chad
    Iran
    Iraq
    Peru
    Cuba
    Fiji
    Guam
    Laos
    Mali
    Niue
    Togo

Does USSR count? :)

12. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Mar 1 2007, 08:56 PM) [snapback]398893[/snapback]</div>
    I propose scrapping the "political" qualification here and throwing it open to all topics. I just noticed the "political" in the thread's title & realized I'd led it astray - so my apologies. But I think it might help it get some legs.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was only kidding about the USSR. And yes, Guam doesn't count because it's an American territory, and Niue is only an island in Polynesia. Is it up to me now to propose another challenge?

14. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Mar 1 2007, 09:24 PM) [snapback]398910[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. But in the meantime...

54 40 or fight (and no googling!)

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, no googling.

54 40 is a geographical reference, relating to establishing the US/Canada border.

Next question: What's the significance of the Arctic Circle? What's different North and South of that latitude?

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Mar 1 2007, 11:39 PM) [snapback]398954[/snapback]</div>
    I actually remember that one from history class. It may be the only thing I remember from that class.

But Hyo beat me to it.

Okay, here's one, since it doesn't say it has to be U.S. political trivia:

As always, no fair googling:

Name the two men who held the title of Emperor of Mexico.

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I could maybe pick one of the names from a multiple choice question by vaguely remembering "Max from Mex". Otherwise, ya got me.

How's your geographical trivia, Daniel? (See the question above about the Arctic Circle.)

18. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Mar 3 2007, 10:19 AM) [snapback]399528[/snapback]</div>
    On the polar side of the Arctic circles, the sun never sets during the summer, and never rises during winter.

More geography: You have a shovel. You start digging straight down from anywhere on the North American continent. Continuing your dig through the earth's center and all the way through to the opposite side, what's the percentage likelihood you'll emerge onto dry land? (No, where all the dirt gets put is not part of the question).

19. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 3 2007, 01:32 PM) [snapback]399533[/snapback]</div>
    I do believe this is a trick question. The obvious one is Maxamillian (I'm not sure if I spelled that correctly, but in order to I'd need to use Google which I'm not going to do), who was already pointed out. The other one: Napoleon, back when France claimed Mexico as their own?

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Mar 3 2007, 11:24 AM) [snapback]399552[/snapback]</div>
    Not quite.

Opposite the polar side of the arctic circle, the sun sets every night and rises every day, at least briefly. On the polar side of the artic circle there is at least one night when the sun does not set. and at least one day when it does not rise. The closer you approach to the pole, the more nights there are when the sun does not set, and the more days there are when it does not rise. Only at the poles does your description apply.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 3 2007, 12:35 PM) [snapback]399577[/snapback]</div>
    Not a trick question. Maximilian (Maximiliano to the Mexicans) is correct, and is the better known of the two. He was installed by Napoleon, but it was Maximilian, not Napoleon, who was emperor. There is another, at a different period of Mexico's history.

Repeat: No fair searching the internet.