1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poll: Do you have an engineering degree or training?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DieselConvert, Apr 29, 2005.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DieselConvert

DieselConvert Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The engineering of Mercedes Benz diesels got me to plunk down more than their machines were worth 37 years ago, and until I drove a fellow aviator's 2001 Prius. It still took me 2 years of independent research to realize that Mercedes was no longer superior to the rest of the auto industry in engineering.

I see chat contributions that express similar interests to mine, and would like to see how many members (and guests) have engineering training or degrees.

2. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Re: poll

I got a MS in Electrical and Computer engineering . I have been in electronic/IC design automation industry for 15 years.

3. kartanoman

kartanoman New Member

Re: poll

I work in aerospace, have a B.S. in Industrial Engineering and am currently one semester away from completing my M.S. Systems Engineering degree.

Peace!

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I have a BE in electrical engineering, emphasis in computer/digital design. Didn't get to really use it though, other than network tech/helpdesk.

I'd love to get back to electronic design, esp with microcontrollers.

5. LisaMarli

LisaMarli Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I'm a bookkeeper.

But I did test well in mechanical stuff back when girls didn't become engineers.

My husband is a Senior Hardware Design Engineer, so I'm not that far from the tree.

So, yes, I do have some idea of what the car is doing and Yes, I do enjoy and understand Dilbert.

Lisa

6. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Have an Aerospace Safety Engineering Degree acquired to use in Aircraft Accident Investigation.

Bob

7. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Due to my advanced building design techniques, I was given an honorary engineering degree by a group of Canadian building scientists. I asked for one of those cool Canadian engineering pinky rings but they said I didn't qualify for a Canadian degree, only an American degree. Bummer. I love the story behind those rings.

8. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the things that I am unbelieveably impressed with on PC are the subjects and responses from engineering types regarding Prii adaptablility. In economics we call it "maximum utility"; ie, how to get the most out of what one has or uses. From EV buttons and installation to battery differences. There is, without question, some folks on here who really know their stuff.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm working on my PhD in pharmacology. Will have my MS-pharm next spring. As completely unrelated as it gets, no? My husband, however, is a Toyota mechanic and will be a candidate for Prius tech once he meets a few more qualifications.

So I hear car jargon all the time and it makes sense to me- most of the time :)

10. guyweathersby

guyweathersby New Member

I'm never sure how to answer questions like that. I went into work one day as a "Sr. Systems Analyist" and found out that I was now a "Sr. Software Engineer". Still the same job I was doing when they called me a computer programmer. Actually since Yahoo! bought my company I am now (so help me this is the official title on the job offer) a "Technical Yahoo". My formal degrees are actually in economics, but I've had plenty of computer training over the years.

11. LoreePrius

LoreePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I work for a electrical engineer as a computer (electrical) drafter. I have been doing it for 16 years.

12. pepa

pepa New Member

Degree in el. engineering, working as sen. software engineer. Some of my workload is software for emission analyzers, both pipe tests and OBD-only. The rest (the major part lately) is work on automotive hand-held diagnostics and troubleshooter devices.

As you may guess - with Prius, I put my money where my profession is :)

13. jchu

jchu New Member

I started my college career as an Aeronautical Engineer at Renselaer Polytechnic Institute which lasted 2 years before I got waylaid into medicine. Did much of the basics; Statics, Dynamics, Strength of Materials, Fluid Dynamics etc.

14. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    BS in Electrical Engineering plus a recent MBA.

M = Mediocre
    B = But
    A = Arrogant

S = Santa
    C = Clara
    U = University
    M = Masters of
    B = Business
    A = Administration
    G = Graduate

15. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Looks like I might be the only Mechanical Engineer on PriusChat

16. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i break everything down in my head and think way too much. does this count?.. no.. darn

delivering cookies to make money while i try to get a better job so i can go to school doesn't fall anywhere close to engineering does it?... no.... ok.. maybe later sometime

17. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I hold three bachelors:
    BS in Computer Science
    BE in Secondary Education
    BA in English Language and Linquistics

And now I write educational manuals and instructional materials for an engineering company. They send me in to talk with the engineers and programmers to learn how things work. When they're done with me, I go back to Education Services and tell them what they said, only this time in English. :-D

18. Dr.Jay

Dr.Jay New Member

Electrical/Mechanical/Computer Engineer specializing in the Plasma field.
    I design/build Impedance Matching Networks (and other 'Things') for the Semi-conductor/flat panel/Coating industry.
    I designed the networks for Applied Materials, in 1991, that made Flat Panel monitors possible.
    And the equipment for IBM (Burlington Vermont) in 1983 that allowed them to produced the first 1024 x 8 bit Ram IC, also known as 1 k memory. . .
    Wow, a whole 1 k of memory.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Depends on what you define as training.

I have a BA in music, Single Subject Music teaching credential, MA in Education, Multiple Subject Credential, CLAD credential, currently working on a Library Media Teacher credential (2007) which will lead to an Masters in Library and Informational Science.

My Dad has a BS in electrical engineering, my brother has a BS in aeronautical engineering (USAF Academy).

I have had to learn many things, from soldering electrical components to laying ceramic tile and sweating copper pipe. I'm sure there is some engineering involved in the informal training I undergo to accomplish whatever task I've been set to.

But I don't do cars.

The most I ever did was replace the 02 sensor in my Nissan. I don't do oil, filters or spark plugs. In fact one reason I really love this car is I don't have to make excuses for having the dealer do all of the servicing.

I will check the oil and fluids if necessary. But I'm not crawling under anything.

20. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    BS in Natural Resources, Biology and Geography
    MS in Physical Geography (climate, soils, vegetation)

Math is the language of science. Critical Thinking and objective analyses are integral to credible science.