1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poll for users of the BT Plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by pogo, Aug 3, 2006.

?
  1. 2004

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2005

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2006

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. other/don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pogo

pogo New Member

A poll suggested by syclone. syclone, I decided to just ask the responders what model year they have. With respect, after readins all I could in these threads it just wasn't clear to me that Toyota ever made a change to the factory plate. Although they announced other changes which could certainly affect the efficacy of the Plate.
    Please only respond if you are a user of the Plate.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The only way I could be really sure is to put the factory plate back on and compare them, but I do think it helped and I would order another one if I bought a second Prius. As far as I know the factory is still installing the exact same one they started using for the 2004 model year.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Gonna be tough to read the results, as it forces a voter to choose "how" it improved the ride even if the first vote was for "no improvement." I chose "other" when I should have had a N/A option.

4. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Aug 3 2006, 03:08 PM) [snapback]297320[/snapback]</div>
    Oops. Well you did your best. I knew there would be some vagueries in the results, but that's something I shouldn't have missed.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well must be kismet, faith, or just plain inconvenient luck...

but on the day that i was going to take off the BT plate and do a comparison of the stock plate, no plate and BT, i was involved in an accident. car in shop, no ETA for a return... oh well, maybe next month

6. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Aug 11 2006, 06:47 AM) [snapback]301441[/snapback]</div>
    So, even *contemplating* use of the OE plate presents a serious risk... I better get me one o' them BT plates ASAP! :blink:

But seriously, sorry to hear your ride is in the shop. Hope yer ok.

cheers
    Bob

7. wilco

wilco New Member

OK, I'm not knocking the BT Plate - for all I know it does wonders - but these types of polls are meaningless... just ask Hans Christian Andersen :p

There are three things that I'd be interested in:

1. Some engineering or mathmatical proof.

2. Actual measurements (before/after install) while the car is run through a slalom course.

3. A blind test.

8. dancekat59

dancekat59 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wilco @ Aug 11 2006, 03:50 PM) [snapback]301710[/snapback]</div>
    Have you read though this thread yet?

9. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Aug 3 2006, 01:51 PM) [snapback]297075[/snapback]</div>
    I have the factory plates from a Jan 05 build 2005 and a Nov 05 build 2006 sitting in my garage. They are identical. So unless there was a later change in production for the 2006, Toyota has not improved that part. Barb had more than a year's experience driving her 2005 Prius every day on I95 back and forth to work. She is not a "car person". Yet she immediately noticed when I put the BT plate on her car that the handling improved, especially with respect to cross winds and passing trucks.

I put mine on my 2006 when it had only 8 miles on it, so I cannot vouch for feeling any improvement.

- Tom

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wilco @ Aug 11 2006, 03:50 PM) [snapback]301710[/snapback]</div>
    I thought all of this came out when the BT plate was first released. Seemed it was discussed ad infinitum.

If you don't think it will improve your Prius or you think it's just too much money, don't buy it.

Personally, I think it is worth the money and I do feel an improvement. And I'd spend the money on it before I'd do a lot of other cosmetic mods. I do it before installing the radio stuff or speakers. In fact if I had to choose between the BT plate and seat covers...I'd buy the plate.

If I bought another Prius my first purchase would be the BT plate if Toyota still has not done anything about it.

11. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wilco @ Aug 11 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]301710[/snapback]</div>
    Hardly meaningless. Depends on what question you want answered. This poll will not give you the answers that you want, but it gave me information that I wanted.

To Godiva: I love your black dog and I love your member name, but none of what wilco is looking for was ever answered in the original thread. Nor has it ever been. And it won't be. Keep the faith.

To dancekat59: Lord knows that we have all read that thread. And we all know that it offers no answer to wilco's questions.

12. wilco

wilco New Member

:p I knew I'd be stepping in it :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dancekat59 @ Aug 11 2006, 02:48 PM) [snapback]301747[/snapback]</div>
    Yes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 11 2006, 05:16 PM) [snapback]301812[/snapback]</div>
    Discussed sure, proven... um no, not really. All questioners were shouted down by the mob.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 11 2006, 05:16 PM) [snapback]301812[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I haven't bought one. If it could be shown to me to improve the handling, I would buy one. For the quality of the machining, I think the price is a bargain.

That's good, I'm not knocking you for it. I just need my own proof.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Aug 11 2006, 05:44 PM) [snapback]301827[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe meaningless is too harsh a word. I didn't mean to sound confrontational. What I'm saying is that most people who bought it like it, but that doesn't mean that it actually does anything (except make people happy, so that's something I guess).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Aug 11 2006, 05:44 PM) [snapback]301827[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you.

13. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I really only installed it to impress the ants that live under my car :) But there was no choice like that to pick from on the poll...

14. hibridguy

hibridguy New Member

I have been lurking on priuschat for some time and finally decided to register and join everyone here. Part of the reason for me registering was to share my experiences with the bt plate that I got from this site. I bought my 2005 prius about 6 months ago and was happy with everything except the general instability and handling. I got my BT plate last month and had a small local tire dealer install it for me. Right away I could feel a difference in the way the car handles and it is now a much better car because of this part. I too was skeptical about this part but with all of the posts that I read praising the plate I went for it. I could not be happier with the product and what it has done for my car.

John

15. wilco

wilco New Member

Pogo,

I've been watching the BT Plate topics since day one, but haven't participated in those threads due to the treatment anyone who even questions the product receives from their fellow PCers (like they're being unpatriotic or something <_< ). It's been a little frustrating, and I guess I boiled over a bit.

I thought about the Emperor's Clothes reference that I made and in retrospect, that's kind of unfair. I'm not implying that Brian is trying to pull a scam - on the contrary, I think his plate is a bargain based on the price and quality, and it may improve the car in the ways described. What I meant was that we are just supposed to accept that it works on faith. Based on his sales numbers, it's clear that Brian doesn't need to provide any additional data, but there are a few of us here on PC who would like to see some nonetheless.

Anyway, this debate should be saved for another thread. I'm sorry I hijacked your thread, and I'll bow out now.

16. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wilco @ Aug 12 2006, 02:24 PM) [snapback]302180[/snapback]</div>
    It DOES seem like anyone questioning it gets slammed a bit, I guess depending on how their opinion is expressed and/or interpreted (most likely the latter), IMHO. However, I don't think "faith" would be the right term, since the observations/poll results of people responding illustrate empirically that the majority have experienced improvement in handling/stability, albeit not scientifically. Faith, to me at least, can often be belief w/o any empirical evidence.
    I can see how the forum can appear cultish at times, but I would hope that rational questioning of posts continue, in the quest for knowledge, otherwise, it will become a true cult. Or the Bush administration. Whichever.

17. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wilco @ Aug 12 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]302180[/snapback]</div>
    Do you ever buy any product based upon word of mouth recommendations? Many of us who got it are happy with its performance. A few are not.

All that being said, no one is forcing you to spend you hard earned money on the BT Plate.

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think that we need to look at people who are down-talking the plate, most dont have one and because THEY cant see the way the plate works, they talk it down.

there is more than enough first hand experience here for anyone to make their own decision. there is not a single product in this world including the basic of all needs, water, that everyone is happy with. the BT plate is no different. there are people who bought it and are unimpressed.

there is always a risk to any purchase not living up to the expectations of the purchaser.

so i say, if you have it, are not happy with it. say so. if you dont have it, then you really dont have a lot of room to say whether its a good thing or a bad thing. those of you that don t have it and want numerical black and white values verses a cost analysis, forget it... aint gonna happen.

19. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 12 2006, 02:37 PM) [snapback]302259[/snapback]</div>
    No.

20. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Fine, so don't buy this one. It is not going to offend any of us.