1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poll: How many miles do you drive per year?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Momentum, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Momentum

Momentum New Member

One argument I hear from people on both sides of the fuel economy debate is that either they don't drive enough miles per year to feel bad about their low MPG vehicle or, conversly, don't drive enough to "pay back" a high MPG vehicle like a hybrid.

Looking at the posts on this board, it seems like many Prius owner's don't drive excessively high miles annually, which is not what I expected to see. Personally, I drive nearly 30,000 miles each year due to my job.

How many miles do you drive?

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

5 to 7 thousand per year, most years. Some years 30 thousand. Never know and never care, it's called life and you just do it.

3. peart75

peart75 New Member

i average about 30K/yr as well. i'm not in it so much for the mpg, more for the technology and ideology to try to fix the revolving oil problem we are in. also, once i read about all the tech gadgets the prius came with for the price, i was sold (namely SE/SS and NAV).

-drew

4. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    30,000/year here, too.

5. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive about 12,000 miles a year. My months are pretty consistent at 1,000 miles give or take.

Jeff

6. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am just starting my first year of driving. I am expecting to drive 10,000 a year, so the warranty and Miles are right about the same. I have it all calculated, i can drive about 29.8 miles a day. Or about 850 a month. So if I don't drive it today, then about 60 miles tomorrow and so on. I am saving some for my trip to Vegas after School gets out this Friday. :D

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm already at 11,000 miles, did 1500 in just the last 8 days.

I generally do 15-18,000 per year, because I do long trips between states (i.e. CA to AZ or CA to NV) or from Southern to Northern CA.

My '02 has 37k miles due to similar driving patterns. My wife doesn't drive much around town, but when it goes between CA and AZ, the miles build up.

8. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

About 17,000

9. shocker

shocker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Around 15,000

10. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Low 20s (of kilomiles).

I am not ashamed to say that I am in this for the mpg.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I bought my Civic, 15 years ago, I lived out in the country, and I made some long trips, and I used up my 3-year warranty in 2 years. (No worries: it was a Honda and went many years before anything needed replacing.)

Now I live in town, and with one long trip I've put on less than 3,000 miles in 5 months. At this rate I'm heading for 7,200 miles per year. Or 5,500 if I don't take another long trip.

The less I drive, the less non-renewable petroleum I consume. It's a lifestyle choice, including living in a small city where everything is close.

But driving a lot or driving a little, I pollute less in the Prius than I would in another car. And the technology is cool. Money does not enter into the consideration for me. Gas can go to $10 a gallon for all I care. But if it was 25 cents per gallon I'd still have bought the Prius, for the techno-geek factor, and, more importantly, for the Kermit factor.

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Around 15K in a single vehicle...I'll probably travel a little less annually in my Prius than I did in my Expedition b/c of the expanded utility of the SUV...I used it for ski trips and other vacations so it would acrue a lot of miles on those trips in addition to my usual commute/shopping/child drop/pickups. Now I anticipate that I'll put maybe 3000 mile/yr on the Expedition since the Prius is my main commuter.

To those who say it doesn't make much difference...I do not know...you put the numbers together and it seems like a pretty good difference to me...

In the 7+ months I've had my Prius I've put about 8400 miles on it. My LMPG is 48.3mpg. My LMPG on the Expedition was about 12mpg.

So:
    8400mi/48.3mpg=174 gallons * $1.50/gal=$261 on gas in the Prius

8400/12=700 gallons * $1.50= $1050 on fuel for the Expedition!!

That's a difference, so far this first year, of $789!! So for my first full year of driving I'll save nearly $1500 on fuel alone. For me, that starts sounding like real money. And I think most of you will agree that that $1.50/gallon number is quite conservative. At the current price the savings go up dramatically.

13. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I run about 40k miles per year. Yup, I drive ALOT.

14. suchham

suchham New Member

mileage poll

[font=Andalus:4f0abda806] [/font:4f0abda806] We don't do much long distance driving. My wife puts about 9k, mostly city,on her Odyssey and I put around 12k on my Accord, mainly highway to work and some extra to football games each fall. The Prius, when we get it, will replace the Odyssey and so should be the 9k car of our future..

15. CHART

CHART Member

I put about 25,000 miles on my car each year commuting to and from work. Add another 5K to 10K for weekends and personal trips where we don't use my wife's Odyssey.

16. Raenstoirm

Raenstoirm New Member

around 10,000 a year. My finace insists on taking his car on trips, so that is just my commute and local errands and things

17. driverx

driverx New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Only reason I got Prius was because of my new job with long commute. I expect to add 40,000 miles per year. I hope to change my job within two years so that I can drive Prius longer. Less than three weeks old Prius already has over 3500 miles. uggggg.... :(

18. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't feel too bad yet. I have 22,700 miles on mine in 6 months. :crazyeyes:

19. WirelessToy

WirelessToy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Typically drive 50Kper year so the Prius fuel savings become real factor in cost of ownership. Test will be to see how durability fits into the equation.

20. Momentum

Momentum New Member

:crazyeyes: You've got to be the winner (or loser depending on your point of view)! You need a bed in that thing...