1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

POLL: Would you be willing to broaden your horizons?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Pinto Girl, Nov 8, 2006.

?
  1. No, I don't think this sort of training would be of any value U.S. citizens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, I think it would be worthwhile for Americans to learn more about other cultures.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not in this form, but the idea is worthy of further consideration

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never done a poll like this before, and I'm a little nervous that I'm doing something wrong.
    So....BE NICE!!!!!!
    [laughing]

I really believe that if people who don't seem to share a lot in common knew even a little more about each other, it might have a positive effect.

I'm currently envisioning some sort of cultural awareness training for U.S. citizens. It would be a way for us to acknowledge that we're part of a larger worldwide community. It would also give us all something that we're all more or less doing at the same time...fodder for discussion.

Also, it's easier to discriminate against others when they're less than wholly human; lack of understanding is one way it happens. Cultural awareness training might be one way to counteract that. Might also show us how well off we as a society we really are.

I know...you're thinking, what color is the sky in my world...?
    Well, I can tell you that the traffic lights here are only one color (pink) and unicorns are accorded the right of way at intersections...

2. jared2

jared2 New Member

Sign me up. As long as I don't have to learn Mandarin.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hell, yes. Cultural awareness and appreciation should be part of everyone's education. Pardon my ignorance, but are you saying this is not routine in US schools?

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well... i think as adults many people already have concrete ideas of what the rest of the world is like, right or wrong. some may change their minds when presented with reality, but i bet many won't want to change the picture painted in their head.

this is something that needs to be integrated into a childhood education, before the prejudice sets hold in kids' minds.

come to think of it, hyo, the official "cultural awareness" i got as a kid were the (extracurricular) hmong culture fairs in the wrong-side-of-the-tracks elementary school- but only because a large percentage of my fellow students were children of hmong immigrants. (this did not happen in the more well-off area of town where i went to 3rd grade.) also we read "roots" in 5th grade and discussed the struggle for equality during black history month. i recall nothing from then until college, where i was required to take a "minority culture" class, which focused on minority groups here in the states. but then again, i really try not to remember childhood in general so i could just be forgetting something.

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 8 2006, 02:50 PM) [snapback]345703[/snapback]</div>
    I grew up in an idyllic upper middle class all-white neighborhood; I can recall that the boys seemed to learn how to draw the 'star and bars' symbol applied to U.S. military aircraft before just about anything else...and, as far as cultural awareness goes, mine was primarily (to paraphrase Martin Mull) the history of white people in America.

Actually, I was thinking this would be primarily for adults...but now that you bring it up, it certainly would make lots more sense to direct these efforts at school-age children and young adults.

I just don't think there is any real priority placed on things such as this, the success or failure of which (like art in the classroom) is difficult to quantify...and consequently not as easily packaged as, say, testing to see if students can calculate the correct answers to mathematical problems.

It's, once again, about having faith in doing what seems to be the right thing. Even if there's not going to be a direct payoff.

Do I think that adult minds are easy to change? No...unless they decide they'd like to, themselves. And that, I fear, will take a generation or two (if we're lucky).

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 8 2006, 05:44 PM) [snapback]345812[/snapback]</div>
    No 'Cultures Day' when people put a pin on the map to show where they're from, dress as they would in their home country and bring tasty treats? No world history? No study of indigenous peoples? No cultural geography? I know the rest of the planet isn't like where I come from, but wow.

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 8 2006, 05:22 PM) [snapback]345844[/snapback]</div>
    shameful, isn't it? [​IMG]

8. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I did that in college already. For those that don't go to college, then heck yeah, there should be some of that classroom or self-study learning.

There are specialized programs in high schools here that do the same; however, they're geared toward the "gifted" students. I think it would be great to have something like that in junior-senior years in high school. That way, narrowly-focused opinions of the world aren't totally solidified.

9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Nov 8 2006, 06:57 PM) [snapback]345898[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, the earlier the better, as long as it's not too soon. And it sounds like, based on what you said, that efforts are already being made, which is good.

I guess I'm dating myself, but nothing much like this was covered in my undergrad years at a liberal arts college, nor did anything come up during my graduate work, except peripherally. Curriculum-wise, I'm referring here to learning that gives us a better understanding of the daily trials that others endure, and less "...in 1766, so and so did such and such..."

We got lots of "in 1766, so and so did such and such," or at least, that's the only thing that stuck (I was much younger then, too).

Learning which *humanizes* people, even those that have been cast as our enemies (or, almost as bad, different from us in some supposedly critical way).

It would also be great if we could have some sort of consistency to what is taught. Or, conversely, if 'red state' folks had to teach their version of cultural awareness to 'blue state' folks, and vice versa, so we could hear how severe our regional biases are, and discuss them (perhaps, if we didn't start a civil war first).

I'm simply searching for ways to have individuals air their beliefs to other individuals...and discuss them...and not have politicians feel the need to speak for "us."

10. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 8 2006, 07:19 PM) [snapback]345907[/snapback]</div>
    I just remember courses like "Modern World History and Culturalism" which covered a historical and sociological discourse on other countries/cultures. We had lots of 2-semester sets of courses that the second semester covered 19th and 20th century history...

A great place where I learned a great deal of multi-cultural appreciation was my high school French classes, believe it or not. I suppose my teacher was outstanding, but much of my second and third year of French covered African colonialism issues and cultures. Very cool.

And btw, I'm no spring chicken, either. I got two liberal arts degrees from Virginia Tech--known for its engineering programs. I think we had a sorely underrated history, English, and poli-sci dept. It didn't hurt that I worked with a variety of folks from India, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Korea, and Eastern Europe.

11. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Personally, I WOULD like to learn more about other cultures, so I'd be willing to take a self-study course, but I think I'm in the minority. I think the majority of US citizens consider learning as something they had to suffer through in formal schooling, rather than something they continue to do every day. So I'm not sure that a voluntary self-study course for adults would be a success.

There's been some corporate education in the concepts of diversity for at least the last quarter-century, with emphasis on "The world is changing - it's no longer a white fraternity and you'd better learn to adjust to it", without specific training in multiple cultures, and even that has met with more than token resistance and grumbling in the ranks of the people who had to attend required training classes.

About 5 years ago, I was a consultant working on a project where the consulting teams were from two different companies, and all male except for me. We went out to lunch as a group one day, and one of the consultants from 'the other company' was complaining bitterly that he had to go to diversity training from his company, and many of the other guys commiserated with him. Two minutes later, he told some lame joke about Tina and Ike Turner that required you know that Ike had reportedly beaten Tina during their marriage, and all the guys chuckled, whether they understood the joke or not. I was livid, but kept my mouth shut until we were driving back to work. I was riding with my boss, and told him how upset I was, and got a 'oh, well, boys will be boys' response from him. He finally understood my point about the mocking of 'diversity training' and the joking about men who beat their wives when I explained the 'Ike and Tina' joke to him. He blushed, apologized, and later did take 'the guys' who worked for our company and talked to them about it, including telling them that a 'group lunch' with the project team is actually an extension of the workplace.

I agree with the people who've suggested that more 'cultural awareness' training/teaching needs to happen with kids.

I definitely don't have 'the answer' for this, and there have been lots of good ideas talked about here in this thread. I'll give another example, too. I've been working for the last year for a very large company, and the company sponsors and contributes to employee 'clubs'. There are around 2000 people who work on our 'campus', and there's a South East Asian 'club'. They sponsored a 'South East Asia' month that included serving many different South East Asian cuisines in the cafeterias, and little 'information cards' that stayed on the cafeteria tables for that month, each card giving a lot of interesting facts about a particular country, including a map showing where it was in the world. There were also many 'after work' cultural events.

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I suppose Russian history won't be on the curriculum any time soon? I should be careful not to draw too many conclusions from only a few posts, but this is shocking. Nothing personal, but might this lack of education have something to do with America's reputation for being xenophobic and arrogant?

13. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I do my own self study by lots of reading. I also see what a lot of different 'cultures" are like through my job. The worry I would have about this self-study course is that it would turn into a "America bashing" type of study. Condescending (sp?). Kind of like what a lot of do-gooders try to teach about our history with the indigenous Indians.

Any worthwhile program would have to be presented as a world-wide program (in other words, all cultures get the same training) with America just being one of many. Good, bad, and the ugly.

Good luck in trying to do that and including some of the truth about Islam. Of course, good luck in trying to do that with Christianity too!

But then again, do we want to hash around the PAST, or do we want to know where we have grown to.

Questions, Questions.

Pinto Girl, I like how you try. I enjoy these types of discussions much more than the flaming ones.

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 8 2006, 07:43 PM) [snapback]345922[/snapback]</div>
    Gosh, whatever could possibly give you that idea?
    [smiling]

Sage advice about coming to conclusions from a few posts...will do my best to remember those words!

I think it's funny that diversity training in business finally came about when American companies were being equalled or beaten in the marketplace...seems to me that it was more about preserving their bottom line than for any real humanitarian reason.

I really like the ideas of tying this to social events, perhaps food related.

A few years ago, I hosted this "success group" that met once a week at my place. Every week for nearly two years, we'd all come together and talk about our goals and what we'd done (or hadn't done) to achieve them. It was really supportive and we ended up teaching each other lots of cool stuff...wouldn't it be great if we could somehow encourage the formation of groups such as that one?

Peer support groups for the discussion and advancement of cultural awareness in the United States.

This whole thing *has* to be a grass roots movement, so we can all take responsibility for it...what better way than by organizing local support groups...?

15. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 8 2006, 07:19 PM) [snapback]345907[/snapback]</div>
    well, i finished my bs in 2004 and just had that one class. of course, i went to a small school in a small town in rather-sparsely populated western wisconsin. we had a large general ed requirement, but the choices for diversity classes left something to be desired.

in grad school, our coursework was (i say was because i'm done with it all) exclusively hardcore science- nothing else. i'm at a substantially bigger school which draws a more international crowd, and there are many more diversity events here. many of them are organized in part by one of my colleagues from india.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Nov 8 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]345910[/snapback]</div>
    that's where most of my understanding of other cultures comes from, actually... interacting with people, which i think is one fantastic way to learn.

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The only cross-cultural education I had in school was one comparative religions class in high school, which dealt exclusively with the Eastern religions of Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism, and was very cursory.

There is no such thing as too much education regarding the cultures of other groups. I think it's typical of conservatives when Schmika expresses a fear that teaching about other cultures might turn into bashing his.

There was a cultural component to the pre-Columbian history classes I took while studying Spanish in Mexico, and it was fascinating.

Cultural diversity should be on the required curriculua throughout school, beginning when kids are old enough to understand that their culture is not universal, and continuing throughout university, and including foreign languages.

17. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 8 2006, 07:43 PM) [snapback]345922[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I took Modern Russian History in school, too.

18. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I voted "no", must take the opposing position and ask, "Why?".

Really, in the end, what is the true "value added"?

I can be someone who only gets involved with people like me, and never intend on leaving the United States, why the hell would I give a fat flying For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge what Kwanza is, or how I might insult someone by showing them the sole of my shoe?

It's like the "It's a small world" ride at Disney, am I really a better person when I leave? Or even more irritable at the idea of a weird androgenous Pygmy shaking its spear?

"Ignorance is bliss", so they say,
    "If it makes you happy, it can't be that baaa-aaa-aaad", Sheryl Crow sings, therefore why, really, is ignorance such a "bad" thing?

:ph34r:

19. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Nov 9 2006, 12:46 AM) [snapback]346083[/snapback]</div>
    Learning, language, love, life, everything...

or, as the Klingons say, die in ignorance.

Have a blissful day, Squid. :)

note: edited to make more sense