1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pondering My Practical Limit on Fuel Economy

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Fred T. Jane, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Fred T. Jane

Fred T. Jane New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since you'd ask if I didn't, here's the answers to the standard burning questions:

- Have you read This Thread Yet?

Yup.

- What fuel economy are you getting and how are you determining fuel economy? (trip computer or manual calculations)

Manual calculations on Fuelly (See link in my signature) MFD shows between 47-50 mpg between fillups

- What fuel economy are you expecting and why?

50 mpg would be nice, but I'm just wondering if I'm getting close to the ceiling for my driving situation. 44-46 mpg is still awesome compared to my 18-20 mpg in my old Equinox!

- What are the approximate outside air temps?

Too warm for winter over here (Lower 40s- Mid 70s)

- How long are your trips?

My daily commute route is 19.8 miles one way. It takes me 24-26 minutes to get there.

How old is your 12v battery? What is the voltage reading of your 12v battery after sitting over night? (Method Here)

Haven't checked it. I teach Life Science, so no voltimeters in my lab unfortunately

Have you had your alignment checked? Any pulling or abnormal tire wear?

The car was inspected and serviced from tip to tail before I bought it, and the tires had less than 1,000 miles on them when I bought it.

- How much of it is city vs. highway? Roughly what's the average speed in overall and and of each segment? Is there a lot of stop and go driving?

My driving habits is about 80% highway and 20% city. The highway's speed limit is 65 mph, but when I commute there isn't a lot of traffic. My MFD says the average speed per tank is about 47 mph.

- What's the terrain like of your drives? (e.g. flat, gentle hills, steep hills, etc.)

I live in south Louisiana. We measure terrain relief in inches. :) There are four overpasses I cross though.

- What are your tire pressures?

44/42

- Is your oil overfilled? (i.e. above the full mark on the dipstick)

Nope, just right.

- Make, model, year, engine and transmission of previous car? (e.g. 08 Honda Civic Si 2.0L 4 cylinder, manual transmission) What did you actually get on the same trips/commute? (Please give us actual numbers, not EPA ratings.)

2005 Chevy Equinox with a 3.4L V6; automatic transmission. Over 4 years I got from 18-20 mpg manually calculated no matter how fast or slow I drove, also no matter whether I drove in the city or on the highway. At least it was reliable...

- What region/state are you in? (if you haven't set your location)

See above. :)

- How are you trying to drive (e.g. trying to stay in electric only?) and how hard are you braking?

When I get on the highway, I'll accelerate briskly to get into the flow of traffic and set the cruise control. Because there's so little traffic and I'm on the open highway, when I get off the highway to the service road I'll coast in order to slow down to get off. The rest of the way to work has me as the only car on the road, so I set it to 55 and do long coasts for the turns.

- What modes are you using, if any? "normal", EV, power, eco?

Eco all the time. If there's a pack of cars when I need to merge, I'll flip to power mode to get a place in the pack, then put it back on Eco mode.

- Are you "warming up" the ICE (internal combustion engine) by letting it idle after powering on?

I let it warm up by taking it really easy before I get on the highway. It's about a mile from my house to the highway, so I slowly accelerate to the light and the speed limit on the road is just 35 mph. If it's red, I'll sit before turning to get on the highway. If it's green, I'll go straight through and drive to the next overpass to get on, slowly picking up speed as I go.

- Are you driving using D or B mode?

D mode only.

- HVAC settings? Are you using the heater, AC, auto mode, etc.? If using auto, what temp is it set to?

Auto on 72. Most of the time the fan is barely blowing.

- Are you using the factory tires and wheels? If not, please indicate tire make, model and size (e.g. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 185/65R15).

Bridgestone Insignia 195/60R15

With all of that out of the way...

So I've had my Prius for about a month now, and have been thinking about whether I am reaching the practical limit of my mpgs considering my commute or I'm missing something. I'm not expecting 70-80 mpg because it's all high-speed driving (posted speed limits are 65 mph all the way), but hitting the magical 50 mpg would be quite nice. I've done most of the required readings, and did some testing of what I believe to be pulse and glide driving on a trip to New Orleans a couple of weekends ago. I don't think I'm doing right (I accelerate to a set speed [say 65 mph] then glide down to the set floor [say 55 mph] to average your desired speed [say 60 mph]). The YouTube videos seem to all be done with Generation II Priuses, so I don't have the same display to compare to in order to see if I'm doing it right. I do remember seeing a discussion that with Generation III Priuses you can keep the HSD in the first third of the light green area to achieve the same effect, but I'm still losing momentum as quickly by keeping the pedal gently depressed as I would by not holding it at all, so that leads me to believe that the biggest problem with my pulse and glide technique lies between the seat and the steering wheel. ;)

If I am doing it right, then I must still be missing something. I know in several videos I watched there was a lot of driving about in hilly terrain, which would explain the ability to glide for long distances without much trouble and get high mpg readings. Like I said above, where I live, we measure relief in inches, so it's about as flat as you can get. Also unlike most drivers, I don't have to worry about really low temperatures regularly, and winter fuel doesn't exist around here, so I doubt that I'm getting a big drop in mpgs due to the weather, so that doesn't factor into the discussion either.

I'm guessing the biggest obvious impediment to hitting 50 mpg from my POV is that about 80% of my daily commute is driving between 60-65 mph on the highway. From my observations on the instantaneous mpg display and 1-minute graphs, the drop in mpgs from 55 to 65 mpg is almost non-existent, but does show once I get over 65 mph.* I've considered driving below 55 mph, but that would be suicide on the highway, and as a result I would need a new route. The downside to this is that my commute time would leap to over 30 minutes, so whatever mpg gain I got would be offset by running the ICE for almost 20% longer each day, which kind of cancels out the mpg gain at least to me.

So to sum things up, I'm not especially complaining about my fuel economy, but rather looking for some objective advice as to whether there is substantial room for improvement in my car's fuel economy based on my situation, or am I at a place where improving my fuel economy is not all that dramatic, and attempts to do so would be interesting depending on how OCD I feel when I wake up that morning. Oh, and I guess I somehow shoehorned in a question about PNG driving somewhere too.

Thanks!

*I find that interesting, and I guess that's where I'm wondering if my real mpg (I've shown 47-49 mpg on the MFD since I got the car) could hit 50, since the highway test for the EPA has the car driving at 55 mph the entire time. If the fuel economy is looking to be nearly the same from 55-65 mph, why couldn't I get that too?

2. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you haven't had the car for long, I'll ask a stupid question: Have you cycled thru all the views on your display? I find the one with the horizontal bar to be the most helpful. Also the standard wisdom in this forum suggests that the use of cruise control is less efficient than a light foot on the pedal.
    All that said, in 11 months of driving my car I've only averaged 50mpg on one tank, and as you can see from my Fuelly bar my average is 46.1 or so. I will admit that I don't try to maximize fuel economy, mostly I just drive in normal mode. I'd bet our average fuel economy is average for most Prius drivers.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Never mind the speed limit, what is your actual highway speed?

Depending on driver and location, a 65 mph speed limit may mean an actual travel speed of 80 mph, or just 60 mph.
    Not true at all. The highway profile is variable speed, with some stops, and an average speed of about 48.

Bob Wilson's mpg vs speed graph clearly shows that mpg is not even close to constant over 55 to 65 mph, or over any 10 mph span above 20 mph. But I don't have the link handy right now.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    to add to Fuzzy1 questions, what is your calculated avg speed? Also how many miles you have on it?

I suspect you can better your MPG by getting better LRR tires and blocking grill. Most likely though your savings will come from conservative driving. If you go by bar display and keep braking in regenerative and acceleration in ECO you MPG will be 5-10% higher if not more.

My MPG (calculated) is 58.2 for last 7k, 61.3 on last tank and we are north from you.

6. HaveNoCents

HaveNoCents Conservative Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just watch the fuel economy gauge. I do whatever I can to keep it above 50 and never use cruise control. i make sure i am coasting to red lights, and stop signs Just doing that and getting my tires to 40psi kept me over 50 calculated even doing 65-70 miles per hour.

iPad ?

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A sustained speed of 60-65mph on the highway should return over 50mpg especially in a GenIII. What is your tire pressure at? I didn't see that listed above. Are those Insignias the OEM tires? I assume the 195/60/15 is a typo since it should be 195/65/15.

8. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I find on the highway if I pulse up to speed and back off and push the accelerator to the point between mid point to the end of the ECO bubble on the HSI I am able to hold speed and get high mileage. In a flat area at 60 to 65 mph I will see 70 mpg while running like this. To go up grades or fight wind I push the accelerator to the point where the HSI indicator hits the word AVG.

The lower area I described corresponds to about 10 to 12 kw engine output which works on flat areas or limited downhills to pick up a bit of speed. The accelerator at AVG corresponds to about 15 to 17kw on the scan gauge. With this type of driving I can get 55 mpg. Of course it varies with wind and grades.

9. Fred T. Jane

Fred T. Jane New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Usually it's 62-63 mph

I'll take a 10-15 minute ride this afternoon and take some photos of the MFD. The differences in the graph are nowhere near as drastic as the one linked below.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would still have the alignment checked--unlikely to be a major issue, but even with a pre-purchase inspection (unless you have the actual alignment info) they may not have checked that.

I suspect you're capable of 50mph with the commute you describe if you attenuate your acceleration a bit and keep the speeds a steady 60mph. But honestly, you're doing pretty well for real world driving.

You could add an engine block heater to shorten warm ups, but that won't make a major difference other than on shorter drives (groceries, etc). I suspect your highway speed may be in excess of 65mph if you're 80/20 hwy/city and making it the 20 miles to work in 25 minutes.

There may also be some room for improvement in your city driving technique. Less brisk acceleration, early/anticipatory slowing & braking, keeping longer following distances, timing of lights, etc. all make a major difference. If you can avoid full stops during the city driving segment you'll notice a major improvement in the FE there.

In short, it sounds to me that based upon the way you're currently driving that the car is doing it's job properly and that you're getting about the FE I'd expect for the route, speed, etc--particularly when you mix in the non-commute driving you're doing. I do think you CAN improve it if that is a major goal of yours, but the amount of improvement you'd see is likely to be small for the amount of effort you'd need to put into it.

11. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think you should have a higher mpg result with that commute. See if any of my signature links are new to you.

Pulse & glide per se can only be done below 45 mph in your gen3 (42 in gen2). It is very effective at those lower speeds in certain conditions.

On the highway, the high speed equivalent to glide is warp stealth. I find DWL (constant load or throttle) to be better than pulse and warp stealth, since DWL involves less re-acceleration. DWL is close to cruise control for your terrain, except for overpasses and the like.

Assuming you use Trip A for tank mileage, use Trip B after setting cruise, and see if your results are close to bobwilson's chart at your usual speed.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The ICE is turning is warp-stealth, which costs about 2 kw.

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OP's results seem 20-25% less than I expect. A controlled test is needed. Round trip on CC at 50, 60 and 70 mph would do it, 10 miles each test on a warmed up engine.

Perhaps wind or water affecting results ? While LA is not real hot this time of year, humidity might be high. Try to isolate the AC cost.

14. dragonfinder1

dragonfinder1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    When we got our 2011 I was getting 39 mpg and I was trying hard. Now with about 1800 miles, I'm getting 48 mpg and not trying. I know the car is breaking in and so am I. I expect a little more with time. Even though you think you're doing everything right, like me, it'll take some time to really learn the mileage secrets.

Dave

15. Fred T. Jane

Fred T. Jane New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    44/42 front/rear. The service record showed that the tires were changed 1,000 miles before the car was traded in.

I honestly don't think I could find an engine block heater down here. Besides, we get maybe 20 frost days a year, so the warmup time is not as long as elsewhere.

Nope. I put the cruise between 62-64 when I get on the highway, and when I get off, I set it to 50-55. Here's my commute:

S Lewis St/Par Rd 605 to B Edward Boudreaux Middle School - Google Maps

I play podcasts to/from work, so I time my commute when I hit play when I throw the car into gear to when I park in the parking lot. If I start a podcast when I leave I arrive about 25-26 minutes into it.

I've considered changing my commute to this route: S Lewis St/Par Rd 605 to B Edward Boudreaux Middle School - Google Maps since it gets off of the highway almost all of the way (The service road has several stop signs on that stretch, so I figured it would be better to jump up to 65 for a stretch than start/stop several times for no reason other than a stop sign being there. The commute would then push to over 30 minutes one way, so the question becomes whether I want higher mileage or less petrol consumed. I might be off, but I think running the car for 10 more minutes a day would burn more fuel in the long run.

Actually, my city FE isn't too shabby. I regularly get over 50 mpg on trips in town. It's 3-4 miles to get into the town proper, and everywhere I go is 4-5 minutes further away. I take it easy, and oftentimes I'll be running off of the battery when I pick up a head of steam. When I drive to Lafayette and get into some proper traffic, I average well over 60 mpg.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a battery check you can access on the mfd if you don't want to buy a meter. a lot of 2010's have had bad/weak 12v batteries because they sat on the lot for a year when prius' were not selling. a weak battery can drain your mpg's.

17. Fred T. Jane

Fred T. Jane New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup. Read them all. But I've got some questions (More on that in a bit)

I've read about warp stealth about a zillion times since I got the car a month ago, and I'm still not understanding it from a practical (e.g. what should my go pedal be doing, what speed, etc.) perspective. Also, almost all links talk about it in the context of a Generation II Prius. Completely different MFDs there, which adds to the confusion.

I'll give it a spin this week for a couple of days and report back.

I went out and put about 60 miles on it driving part of my commuute in a big loop trying to duplicate the seemingly similar consumption readouts for 64 at 55 mph. It went a bit awry as we had some pretty high winds, and when I was driving 64 on the open highway, it was almost straight into 15-20 mph winds. On the way back at 64 mph I got over 50 mpg, but it didn't compare to the over 60 mpg I was getting going 55 on a country road with the tailwind. Driving 55 mph into the wind was getting me somewhere between 50 and 55 mpg. I have the pictures--just need to upload them.

I'll give it a try some time this week.

Humidity is always high here. :) But seriously, I keep the A/C on auto and it usually blows (if at all) quote low (1 bar) in the recent weather when set to 72. Monday will probably see it blow a little more in the morning (Low is set to be 45), but in the afternoon it shouldn't too much. Summer will be a different story, however. :(

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a battery check you can access on the mfd if you don't want to buy a meter. a lot of 2010's have had bad/weak 12v batteries because they sat on the lot for a year when prius' were not selling. a weak 12v can drain your mpg's.

19. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  20. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This.

You are only a few miles from the gulf that generates nearly constant on shore winds. And then add in nearly constant a/c use. And finally, the EPA hwy mileage is 48 not 50. I have yet to meet any EPA mileage figure in any car, even after the new revisions, but I get the closest with the Prius.

I'd suggest resetting Trip B daily for each leg while monitoring the daily wind forecasts. I see a huge difference between head and tail winds here along the gulf coast.