1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PooF! $550.00 Video card up in Smoke and Flames!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Can anyone here tell me why something like this would happen? :(

[attachmentid=7501]

Because of intermittent problems I decided to reinstall Windows XP Pro and I was at the last part of the process when I hear a small faint snap sound and the image on the monitors starts going wiggy on me. One moment later the system shuts down. I think well that could have been a normal shutdown after install, except for that snap sound but what can I do except start it again? Not ten-twenty seconds into the boot process, PooF! smoke starts pouring out of the two doodads by those capacitors’ and a 1 to 2 inch white blue flame jets out a second later. What a ghastly smell but I got the power shut off and literally could not touch any part of the vid board for another 15 minutes. BTW this was the second (refurbished on warranty) vid board and it was only a couple of weeks old and the power supply was only about a month old. Also i have had problems with USB on the motherboard, could the MB have been about to go and as its last and final act fry my vid? Do you think it may have done any other damage to other components on the system?

Anyway thanks for any help you may be able to send my way. Sigh. . . I hate computers . . . :angry:

Wildkow

The video card in question was a . . .
    EVGA GeForce 7950 GX2 1GB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Dual GPU Video Card

the rest of the rig . . .

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI x 16 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4

2X Samsung 204B 20.1" Analog/Digital 5ms refresh speed, 1600x1200 resolution LCD monitors.

2X Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Western Digital Raptor 36GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

Thermaltake Toughpower 850W with Four independent & dedicated +12V rails(12V1,12V2,12V3-30amp,12V4-30amp)

Attached Files:

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Virtually impossible to identify the cause over the internet, but there are a couple of possibilities...

The video card could have been defective - a loose solder joint somewhere on it finally went. The sudden disconnection causes a small electrical surge that may have been enough to fry something in the components, leading to the flames, etc.

The computer might have just been too hot - with temperatures warming up around the country, people leaving their heat on a little too long, etc, it's entirely possible this was a simple case of overheating of the video card.

There may have been dust in the system. A layer of dust can, potentially, create electrical pathways that can cause circuits to fry.

There may have been something wrong with the motherboard that caused it - much like the problems listed for the video card, a problem on the motherboard could have applied the wrong voltage to the pins on the video card.

It sucks when stuff like this happens, but unfortunately there isn't really much that you can do about it. You said the board was only a couple of weeks old? you should be able to get it replaced, hopefully.

3. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Your cap blew. It wasn't because the board got too hot. It was a defect.

4. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Apr 16 2007, 01:51 PM) [snapback]424229[/snapback]</div>
    Just got off the phone with EVGA Support. Bottom line . . .

"Any physical damage to the board voids the warranty." <_<

they just now said that if I sent a picture of the damage they would send it up to RMA and see what they can do, holding my breath.

Wildkow

p.s. the caps don't seem to be smoked it's the little doodad's just above and below the caps.

5. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wildkow, you did not have anything to do with the damage on the card. This is a warranty issue, hands down.

If their cap blows, it isn't your fault.. it's their shoddy worksmanship.

Call back to customer service and tell them you want a warranty replacement.

That is electrical damage.. not physical damage. THey sold you a bad piece of hardware.

6. J.Wilkie

J.Wilkie 80 Mile Daily Commute

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Admit it, you were overclocking your PC!!! :)

7. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might want to look on the other side of that card.

I had the exact same signature on my blown card.

It was in a tower, and the heat sink/fan came loose. The
    metal part of the sink crossed something that shouldn't
    have crossed.

It's pretty hard to smoke an IC unless you pump too much
    voltage across it.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Suddenly, I feel better about buying the cheepo $45 Ebay vid cards. Even so ... I feel your pain.

9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J.Wilkie @ Apr 16 2007, 03:35 PM) [snapback]424275[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! Nope I learned that lesson the hard way a long time ago.

kow

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patrickindallas @ Apr 16 2007, 03:45 PM) [snapback]424277[/snapback]</div>
    The GeForce 7950 GX2 is actually two boards slaved together in an SLI configuration. Without taking it apart I can't get a good view of the back and BTW I think that voids the warranty.
    I was hoping someday to afford a second one so that I could have Quad SLI in order to speed up video editing. I think I might hold off on that for awhile now.

[attachmentid=7516]

Here's a full pic . . .

[attachmentid=7520]

Attached Files:

11. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

damn, well I would be worried about the power supply if you were having "intermettnet" issues.

Actually... what were your issues if I can be so nosy. I'm in the middle of building/buying my new computer (got the case/powersupply and looking at what drives I want) and I have already ruled out EVGA as a supplier for the video card. I've seen nightmares with people dealing with them online and they seem like a horrible company. BFG is in the same boat for me personally, I bought my dad a 6800 series card from them, it died three months after he got it, the replacement lasted a month, and then got nuked, and.... eventually he wound up with something he couldn't use because they dropped his line, so they sent a card that was too long to fit into the old case.

The machine I'm replacing isn't that bad (P4 3.0ghz sony with an added antec phantom 500w and pny 7300gs (gt?) its got 256mb ram) but seriously, the bf's computer makes me want something a LOT better.

When I built my dads computer last year I had the idiot problem of not allowing enough voltage to the memory (my first homebuilt, why would I want to keep a problem filled machine?!) so Windows would shutdown/restart keep actting up on me. We got it figured out, with the help of someone more experienced.

Sucks though :( If I'm buying a card I'm looking at 512-700something mb cards. I hope you're not screwed by EVGA on this on.

12. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(parrot_lady @ Apr 16 2007, 06:48 PM) [snapback]424364[/snapback]</div>
    If you go with a ATI based board you could join our Folding@Home team and find cures for horrible diseases. The GPU in these cards are superfast and you could use your system CPU at the same time! Check it out here . . . I got the Thermaltake ToughPower 850w and although I have only had it for a couple of weeks I really like it. You may not have a need for that much power, I have nine drives in my rig, so look for something in th 500-750 watt range.

Wildkow

13. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that reminds me of the infamous Dell GX270 series of computers. The motherboards had capacitors that bulged and then eventually leaked onto the motherboard. With this series, it wasn't a case of if the capacitor would die, the question is when.

Maybe they got the capacitors from the same place that sold the bad batch to Dell.

As others have said, I don't think the issue has anything to do with our system. It just may mean that it's time for that manufacturer to change it's parts supplier.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I know nothing about hardware, so I cannot offer any useful advice. But I just wanted to say I'm sorry you are having these headaches over the computer.

I remember when I used to write letters with a ball-point pen, on a clipboard, while sitting in an easy chair, while the cat tried to get the pen away from me. It took a week for the letter to get delivered, and another week for the reply to get back, and life was so much simpler.

15. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 16 2007, 09:59 PM) [snapback]424462[/snapback]</div>
    rAmen. :)

16. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    For everyone saying a cap blew - look at the picture. On the one side of the board, all of the caps are fine - no leaking or bulging. On the other side, it's a bit more difficult to tell, but i think they're fine too.

And wildkow, this wasn't caused by any physical damage you did to the board - this was a manufacturers defect, and should be replaced under warranty. If they give you trouble, i find that a call to the BBB tends to help move things along.

17. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've seen caps or resisters just pop and leave damage like that.

18. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    But there's always some evidence on the caps themselves...

19. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We can't see in between the cards, now can we?

Regardless, THAT is a warranty issue - hands down. If the rep tells you it isn't then get with the supervisor...

20. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trevor @ Apr 16 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]424438[/snapback]</div>

GX270s I haven't had a problem with. Do you mean the SX270? The caps on those have been blowing up regularly. Since I started working there (Nov), I've had 9 (and counting) SX270s fail with bad capacitors. When you look on the board, most of the capacitors were bulging.