1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poor centering of steering wheel after slight movement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Tore, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Tore

Tore TORE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello from Norway to all Prius friends!
    I have recently become a proud owner of a 2010 Prius Executive with LED, leather seats and Navi. During my initial testing of the car, I have found a strange behaviour of the "self centering" ? of steering wheel after a small movement especially to the right direction.
    It feel`s like the steering rack is somewhat binding ?, or maybe some issue with the EPS system ? However, this is mostly noticeable when turning the wheel very little and then it seems not to go back to center properly. When steering in opposite direction , the self centering works more normal and is centering more correctly.
    The behaviour is almost same when doing high speed ( 50-60 mph) as in lower speed. I just changed from my original Michelin tyres ( 215/45/17 ) into winter tyres ( Conti 5 195/55/16 ) but i felt the similar behaviour before changing tyres.
    Anyone else in forum with a similar experience ??

Kind regards from Tore

2. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would suspect alignment since it has the same behavior with two different sets of tires. Normally I would suspect tires

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    First step is a 4 wheel alignment, that usually solves the problem. If your warranty is similar to ours you should get it free. The cars sometimes are banged around pretty badly during loading and unloading, it's not to uncommon to find alignment problems in new cars that have been transported by ship.

4. venom700

venom700 Just call me Brian...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What exactly is our warranty with a free alignment? Heard several people mention it but is that in writing somewhere? I have experience "tramlining" since I got the car and it continues with my new wheel/tire combo and would love to score a free alignment. I just figure they will try to not give me a free one once they see aftermarket stuff on my car.

5. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I bet this is the first non-European car you drive, Toyota's are not know for steering input and tight response. The behavior you describe is normal. This is not like European cars that have strong self-centering and the car will go straight for mile with your hands off the steering wheels. I always have to keep my hands on the steering wheel to keep it going straight or it will drift slowly to either side and this have nothing to do with alignment. It is design that way.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's not in writing in the warranty booklet so I guess it's more of a Toyota policy. I was told by two service managers that if there is an alignment problem, such as tracking, stability, tire wear, etc, and the car was from the Japanese factory they would align it free for the first year. I had some pretty serious alignment issues with my gen2 and actually ended up getting 3 or 4 free alignments before I finally fixed the problem with shims.

I think when you take it in you need to tell them it has a problem such as pulling to one side, steering not centered, drifting all over the road (which my Gen2 did), etc.

Thankfully my Gen3 has very good highway manners so I'm not going to have it done unless there is excessive tire wear.

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Actually this model Prius should be very good if everything is aligned correctly. My previous car was a BMW 3 series and this Prius is just as good on the highway as the BMW was, although it doesn't corner nearly as well of course. It will indeed go down the road for a very long distance without corrections. I have the V model with the new type steering motor and wider tires which may help.

8. venom700

venom700 Just call me Brian...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yea I also had a Z4 which I just got ride of but my Prius IV is all over the place on the highway even with 17x7's. I guess I will call to see if they will agree to take care of me when I make an appointment.

9. Tore

Tore TORE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I have been driving many different Japanese cars, Korean cars (Kia), Swedish cars (Volvo) and German cars ( MB and BMW) and I really believe that normally a Toyota is not very different in terms of "self centering" of the steering wheel compared to the mentioned brands....So, I am inclined to believe that either there is a "binding" in the steering rack or some issue with the EPS system. Of course, the wheel alignement was checked during pre delivery inspection, at least so I`m told..In addition, I have read that the caster angle is a bit bigger on gen. III compared to gen.II and this would normally imply an improved "self centering"..at least in theory. BUt I will take my vehicle to the dealer and ask them to verify the alignement one more time.

10. Spartane

Spartane Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Although mine is only a Prius III, this sounds pretty much like what I experience, except for me it doesn't favor either direction. If I had to describe it, I'd say it felt like the steering column was packed in heavy grease -- you'd increase your hand's pressure on the wheel and suddenly it would turn, sometimes just slightly more than you wanted. Relax your hold on the wheel and it does not return automatically, forcing you to manually turn it back.

Many describe this as "numb" steering, and I believe it to be an artifact of the electric power steering assist. I found that the effect can be reduced (but not eliminated) by increasing the tire pressure above the recommended settings.

Earlier on in the year, there was talk of Toyota reprogramming the power steering to change this behavior, but I haven't seen any followup on this yet.

11. Tore

Tore TORE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi from Norway Spartane and thanks for your interesting comments!
    To day I was visiting the dealer to explain about this phenomenon and the garage manager took my car for a drive. He also noticed this poor centering issue but after a test drive with the company`s demo car, we both concluded that this car also suffered from a similar behaviour. So, the garage manager believed this to be a "normal" behaviour for this car model. However, I am not satisfied with this conclusion, as on other Toyota cars with EPS I have not noticed this problem. So, I will talk to the distributor`s technical dept. and see if they have any TSB from Toyota in Japan as for reprogramming of the EPS system. The behaviour is very annoying when driving straight forward on the freeway.
    Maybe more of you guys with 3 gen. Prius could check out this when cruising on the freeway in the times to come....

12. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It has nothing to do with the EPS, self centering force comes from the caster angle of the front wheels. If you have ridden a bike or bicycle, you know what I mean.
    Toyota cars are mostly using McPherson strut suspension like in the Prius, which limits the amount of caster can be dial in without sacrificing cornering force. This is why for good handling cars they always have double wishbone suspension.
    I suspect the Toyota you claim to have good centering may have double wishbone suspension (some European version may have a different suspension setup then the US version) or it is a Lexus.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius steering does feel different to most cars. You get used to it.
    As others have said, check your wheel alignment.