1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poor Man's Toyota Badge Mod

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by NoMoShocks, Jun 11, 2009.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK, if you don't mind having the top of you Toyota "T" being a black hole, there is body paint color under the rear emblem. This is really just an experiment in looks for me, becuase I don't really want the void hole under the top part of the T, and I noted the badge clips are not quite tight without the plastic film in-between, so if you were going to leave it this way, you would want to add some felt bumpers under the emblem or something to make it fit snuggly again.

[​IMG]

Rear emblem removal:
    Take a Credit Card. Sears MaterCard and Amazon Visa have both worked equally well in my trials. Gently work the credit card under the emblem toward the bottom becuase the plastic clips holding it are near the top and it is easiser to insert toward the bottom.

[​IMG]

Then carefully slide the card around to the right side of the "T". Left side may work equally well for leftys, but I have not confirmed this. Once the card is positionsed here (even with hidden clip) firmly push the credit card toward the T to deflect the clip while simultainiously pushing the badge in the same direction and genly prying up on the credit card.

[​IMG]

As you feel the badge clips release, pull back the credit card back with a quick steady swipe or the Prius may not read it correctly. I haven't got my bill back to see how much of a charge your Prius will debit to your account, but it can't be too much as this is a Poor Mans Mod.

Now you can remove your badges, your options are many. Sand and paint the protection / window tinting guys can apply a variety of different colored vinyl films. By the way, does anyone know where I can get some thin film light emitting diode or other glow in the dark sheet material?

Credit card trick doesn't work well on front becuase it is recessed deeper into the bumper, and there is dull black plastic under the front emblem. But, once you know the position of the badge clips, if you want to remove front badge, just reach down through the hole for the hood latch with a skinny wrist and release the clips from inside.

5 people like this.
  2. HeyVern

HeyVern New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Used your credit card technique to remove my rear badge today. Worked exactly as you described. Thanks!

3. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

What a GREAT FIND!!!! Never thought of this, and with a card the chance of paint finish scratching is minimal. And if the rear emblem is especially easy to release this way - super.

4. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I followed your directions. Worked great!

Attached Files:

5. Nuckz23

Nuckz23 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the tip. Came off with no issues. The front was pretty easy as well. I am glad to see that ugly blue plastic go!

6. kmkremer

kmkremer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This seems way easier than going in through the hatch door, as was outlined in a previous post. One question: does the uncovered hole that's left at the top of the T go anywhere or is it self-contained? I'm concerned about water damage through the hole.

7. Nuckz23

Nuckz23 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's a good question. To tell you the truth the blue plastic piece really isn't stuck on there that well so I'm sure water is going in there already. I wouldn't worry about it.

8. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wiring it may be a PITA, but EL sheet should work well, and you can get it in many colors now.

9. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You didn't really post images of your credit card...did you? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha...You are sooooo lucky the moderator saved your butt.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh? It's photobucket's problem, not us. We didn't do anything.

11. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here you can use this LED wind powered T emblem for the front. (Ha)

Wind Powered Sensor RGB LED Vehicle Logo - Toyota

dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27848

12. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well then could you alert me when the problem is solved...I want to book a cruise ;)

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry, i don't get the joke... or punchline...

14. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used a nylon pry tool like this ...

s282310739871706100_p4_i3_w800.jpeg

Both the rear and front emblems popped out nice and easy -- no trouble at all!