1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poor MGP on my 2004 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by rbleslie, Jun 28, 2006.

1. rbleslie

rbleslie New Member

I've had my 2004 Prius for 2 years now. Until March, I drove 50 miles round trip (freeway) every day and averaged anywhere from 45 - 48 mpg, and when I could track street mpg it was 50-53. I moved in March and now drive 4 miles round trip - one signal light and one stop sign. I'm now at 33 mpg. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed.

When I had the car serviced the last time, I told the SM that my street mileage was extremely low. When I picked the car up, he told me that the tech drove the car about 15 miles and got 54 mpg. Interestingly enough, neither trip meter or display indicated that mileage had been reset. I guess they have a magic machine that determined the 54mpg. Or perhaps the service dept didn't want to do any warryanty work (it's not the dealership I bought the car from).

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a drop in mpg over the years.

I still love my Prius and don't regret for one minute buying it. I just want better than 35 mpg :) Comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

B

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bruce Leslie @ Jun 28 2006, 04:00 PM) [snapback]278287[/snapback]</div>
    That is the cause of your poor mileage. Your car never gets a chance to fully warm up to normal operating temperatures. It generally takes me 3-4 miles of driving before I start seeing 50+ MPG readings on the MFD.

3. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bruce Leslie @ Jun 28 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]278287[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the boards Bruce, and Yes, same thing happened to us. And yes it seems to come down to the short trips.

I've stressed over it, in fact that's what led me to PC, but I've resigned myself to giving up one joy for another. You know what I mean, give me 35 mpg anyday over 100 mile commutes!

Look at it this way which is worth more 45 minutes (or more) of your time per drive, or $5 or less in gas per tank.

Nonetheless, you can cheat like some suggest and just drive the scenic route to work adding, say, 10 extra minutes.

b

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Short trips, the parking brake is clicked in one notch, or your servicers overfilled the oil and underfilled the tires. Please let us know which one(s) it is.

Actually, depending on the service you had done they might have disconnected the 12 volt battery for a while. It that case, your 'SOC table' (blah blah blah) has been reset and you will see gradually improving efficiency over the next few weeks.

5. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bruce Leslie @ Jun 28 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]278287[/snapback]</div>
    Definitely short trips! You're right in the range almost everyone says for the first 5 miles.
    I drive 3.6 miles, let me see, ... get this, 5 stop signs and 13 traffic lights. But it beats the #ell out of driving our former Jeep GCL!
    b