1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Poor" mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by BaldyPrius, Dec 1, 2004.

1. BaldyPrius

BaldyPrius Junior Member

I'm the owner of a new '05 (3500 miles so far).

I'm "only" getting about 42 mpg so far, which is certainly better than anything else I've ever driven (second best was a Miata at 30 mpg).

I think the main reason for this "poor" mileage is my home is at 4200 ft. elevation work is at about 500 (64 miles round trip), so I have to climb the hill every day. My commute is about 25 miles freeway and 7 on the hill. I keep up with the flow of So. Cal traffic (often at 80 mph or so).

Does anyone know if the 'B' transmission setting has any affect on mileage as opposed to just leaving the sucker in drive on downhill stretches?

A previous post said any braking kills mileage - that the regenerative braking system is not efficient. I know the battery charges as you're coasting, but doesn't it charge more so when braking? If so, wouldn't a long gentle slowing with brakes be better than a rapid one (more regeneration and less brake pad friction)?

I ran out of gas once figuring the 12 gallon tank was useable. Ignored the flashing bars and warnings and it pooped out on the way up a long freeway grade. What a display of icons and warnings! I drove on the battery about 1/4 mile to a gas station and everything was fine - what's the deal on hurting the car this way - I thought the computer would shut the car down before it damaged itself. The tank only held about 10.6 gallons (stopped at first click). I guess this was due to combination of the fuel tank bladder and going uphill??

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey if your doing 80 mph for any lenght of time your only going to get 42mpg. Anything over 70 really kills the mileage. B is for braking going down hill, don't use B for normal driving, it will kill the mileage also. B is like downshifting a standard trans. when going down a hill

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mark,
    If you are coming down from Mount Baldy (Mountain Road in Upland??) you can use B on the upper part to keep your speed down to the limit (or at least safe) if leaving it in D means your foot is on the brake the whole way.

If you spend any appreciable time on the acellerator while in B mode, you probably don't want to use it on that stretch. You can hop between B and D at will so if you have a few steep stretchs you can go to B just for them.

On the way back up? Well, you can't fight Mother Nature. The best you can do is leave some space between you and the vehicle in front so you never have to slow down. Regaining speed will cost you big time.

5. Paul113

Paul113 New Member

I'd perform an immoral act for 43 MPG. I just filled up and after 293 miles put in 9 gallons...thats 32.5MPG. We need a subject...."Who's getting the worst mileage?" BTW the calculator agreed with the dashboard average mileage. It's been colder than a female practitioner of the occult's mammary in a brass undergarment here in The City Of Motors. (I hope that image didn't offend anyone's sensibilities.) But it's not Minnesota. There are colder places that the Prii roam, n'est pas?

The good news is TM is over $80 a share. Is it my connection or is this site Sloooow this morning.

Happy New Year....
    Paul