1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

poor MPG after ski rack put on roof...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by vajratlr, Feb 9, 2011.

1. vajratlr

vajratlr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    heading up to mammoth this weekend so I put on my ski rack over the weekend. just thought it was interesting to see a 7-8 miles decrease in MPG after I put on my Thule ski(clamp style) rack with fairing. I didn't think the rack would effect it this much, but apprently it does. I'm usually averaging about 50mpg on screen, now I'm seeing 42ish... thought i share with those who are interested in getting a roof rack.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not surprised a bit.
    Still....it's a lot better than you'd get in almost anything else that you'd use to haul your sticks up to the top of a really big hill.

Careful on the way back down. :D

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No real surprise - that's a lot of extra drag.

Tom

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe steep grades are a factor as well?

5. vajratlr

vajratlr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I haven't gone yet, going this weekend. so for sure it's just increase in drag.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The current Prius advertises a Cd of .25 and EPA mileage of 50 MPG, the hypothetical Prius v claims a Cd of .29 and 42 MPG. Off hand increased wind resistance seems very capable of lowering MPG.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When translated to metric style of L/100km, or its English equivalent of gal/100mi, the extra fuel consumption you experienced is not any worse than that caused by the Thule rack formerly installed on my Honda, now put on my Subaru.

The real problem here is our this terrible 'MPG' metric that leads many people to misunderstand fuel consumption. Identical differences in fuel consumption are magnified in an N-squared fashion as base mpg rises, seriously distorting the picture that most consumers perceive.

8. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Keep in mind that the coefficient of drag is proportional to the cross section that faces the wind. So a tiny sports car with a .35 Cd may have smaller absolute drag than the Prius, simply because there's less cross-sectional area. I believe the main increase of drag in the Prius v is the increased size of the vehicle, while the increased Cd (probably from things like the rear not tapering as much, among many other tiny design differences) has a smaller effect.

9. graphikzking

graphikzking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My buddy laughed when I mentioned I can't put a roof rack on my car because of wind resistance.

He has an Audi All road 2.7T chipped. Nice little all around car.

Well he couldn't believe he went from 20mpg on his long ski trips down to 17mpg. A 15% decrease. I figured if we get the same 15% it will be about 7mpg.

So that's why I want to be able to remove mine relatively easily (under 30 minutes if possible).

I'm hoping someone on here knows how long it takes to remove / reinstall these after you figure them out a few times. Any ideas???

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Be prepared for worse than simply the same percentage mpg loss, it may be closer to the same absolute fuel penalty. Your friend's Audi is burning an extra 0.88 gallons per 100 miles when the rack is on. That would knock a 50 mpg car down to 35.

11. vajratlr

vajratlr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    removing it is always a lot quicker than putting it on. I'd say 10mins tops to remove. but putting it on takes about 30mins.

I posted a new thread with regards to mpg after the ski strip. the result was worse than 7mpg!