1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Poor" MPG results so far...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Roburt, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Roburt

Roburt New Member

I purchased my Prius a month ago. Since then, I've driven about 3,000 miles (long family vacation included). Thus far, the best average MPG I've had according to the MFD is 43.8. Currently, I'm at 42.2 MPG. I've tried the pulse and glide. I'm very gentle with the accelerator pedal (usually), but I do stay with traffic. I see lots of people claiming 50+ and there is even a group of complainers :blink: who are getting 45-50. Any ideas on what I should be doing to improve my numbers? Are there other folks out there who are stuck in the low, low 40s?

2. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roburt @ Jul 10 2006, 08:11 PM) [snapback]284143[/snapback]</div>
    you are doing fine. break in the engine - at 5000 miles or so, my mpg went up.

also, check these articles:

http://priuschat.com/Iand39ve-completely-c...egy-t21816.html

http://priuschat.com/Anyone-getting-better...way-t21802.html

http://priuschat.com/MAX-AirCon-and-MPGs-Y...d33-t21540.html

3. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

Roburt - check your tire pressure and don't worry. I have about the same mileage profile and am not getting above 41 mpg, but I have a short commute to work. Many factors impact mileage and it sounds like you are doing well.

:)

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Read the following article, at least twice.
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?autocom=art...howarticle&id=3

Start with learning anticipatory driving, checking tire pressure, checking oil level and getting an alignment check.

Stop trying to Pulse & Glide, you're not ready for that and it will only hurt your mileage at this point.

5. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also keep in mind where people are from when you see them post high numbers. I typically get between 46 and 52. Sometimes I can even get 54 or so, but 47 is my lifetime average so far. I am on the east coast though, so to compare my numbers to yours isn't right - Much of my driving is typically on flat or slightly hilly - I'm not going up big hills that frequently.

I will add however that on trips up to Vermont, where I do go up and down the mountains, I have still been able to stay about 45 mpg. As mentioned - forget pulse and glide - just drive and get used to it.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Time it will take young one. Easy pulsing and gliding is not. Many years the "complainers" have practiced.

The first thing that got my attention was the 3,000 miles within one month of ownership. Holy Cow!! When I drove from Chicago to Nebraska and back within one month of ownership, I logged my all-time worst warm-weather mileage.

Many people claim that their car "breaks in" after about 7,500 miles. Actually, some believe that it's a combination of car and driver being broken in. And I have to agree with Evan, stop trying to pulse and glide for now. Just get a feel for the car at first.

I tend to believe that you will not see a tank in the mid to high 50s this year. Depending on how chilly it gets in the SanFran Bay area in th winter, you will see a drop in mileage. But next year, with a year of experience, you should be seeing mid-50s on a regular basis and complaining that you haven't yet breached 60.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In side San Francisco! Up and down those hills? You are doing good. Freeway driving at 70 you are doing good. Keep in mind that the mpg is relative to driving conditions. Most of the San Fran drivers that have posted do less than others. You have two ways of going anywhere up hill, or up hill. Keep on keeping on!

8. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'd also say you are doing great. Hills are definatly a MPG eater, as are short commutes.

Follow all of the tips posted about...and try out different routes. Sometimes a slightly longer route is a better MPG route, far making up the difference.

Also, things like AC (especially using the AUTO feature), extra passengers, and cooler weather, can make an easy 10-20% hit in your MPG.

With practice you will steadily improve.