1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poor performance following accident

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cinos, Feb 10, 2008.

1. cinos

cinos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My wife was the second car, the first impacted in a four car crash. Sustaining front and rear frame damage, radiator, multiple cosmetic panels but was not totalled, (only 6,000 miles on the new car when crashed).

We had just returned from a 3,200 mile road trip and we were in love with the mileage we experienced. Following months of time without our car, (it was repaired at the dealer where we bought it), it was returned then reentered the repair shop for more cosmetic rework. When we finally got it back we discovered it no longer got great mileage. It was now 6 to 10 miles per gallon less. following complaint the dealer put it on the computer and claims no problems. Following the dealers explanation ranging from "oxygenated gas" and cold weather as the culprit I started making more sophisticated observation.

We live at the top of a long hill just outside of salem Oregon. When I get home now my battery is green. Before the accident it was never green unless we were going into town following a long 'coast'. It is also consistently Green when I cruise down the freeway. At one point I pressed the little car up to 85 MPH for a period of time, all the time with a Green battery. The salesman simply said that the car is not supposed to use battery while on the freeway. This was not our experience prior to the accident. Our car is not the same now as before the accident.

Any similar experience or advise out there?

Dave

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if we're talking "months" of time without your car, and you haven't experienced cold weather prius driving yet... you wouldn't know that this is normal behavior.

winter gas + cold weather + heater use + cold battery makes for more runtime on the engine and more green battery too. that pushes down your mpg.

get your alignment checked, if there was frame damage that could throw the alignment off.

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi cinos,

Well the green SOC sure sounds like cold weather to me. And its below 0 F here, now, so I should know. Yes, when weather is below freezing the Prius will try to keep the battery SOC up in the green. But, it should not be constantly green. Its usually in the high blue, and any old gradual stop in traffic, or off ramp will push it into the green.

Additionally, the computer learns your driving and improves mileage during the first month. So, it may be relearning. Did they put in a new battery? I believe there is also a new battery routine too, where it keeps it at a higher SOC.

If you want to see the impact of cold weather, do a search on "TonyPShafer", and then click on his signature link to his spread sheet. But be aware, he is doing all sorts of tricks to get the real high mileage on that spread sheet. Besides he does not comute much above 40 mph.

The damage that might have occured, might be if they painted the car and then put it in the curing room without removing the battery. The battery is supposed to be removed if the car is put into an lamp room to cure the paint.

But, I would register the complaint, and wait for weather up in the 50's before you go further.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i have yet to find the excerpt in the body repair manual that says anything about removing the hv battery in a paint booth.

interior temps get just as high parked in a sunny parking lot on a hot summers day around here.