1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poor quality of speech on the Prius' phone system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Mitchla, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Mitchla

Mitchla New Member

My friends tell me that it's difficulty to understand me when I speak through the Prius' phone system connected to my T616 phone. The phone has a strong signal and I can hear them fine. I keep cutting out on them apparently. Volume of speech doesn't appear to be a factor. Windows are up, air is off, and music is off, so it can't get much quieter.

Has anyone else experienced this? Suggestions?

Thanks.

2. marcovi

marcovi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Get the nokia 6820. Sony Ericcison T616 is known to be bad quality on voice communication over bluetooth. I tested both and there is a big difference on with my nokia 6820. They are some limitations like not being able to transfer the whole Phonebook at once. Good luck.

3. Mitchla

Mitchla New Member

The Nokia is not available for Cingular.

4. riskable

riskable Junior Member

Cingular uses GSM which Tmobile and AT&T also use. Since GSM is pretty much a "world standard" you can buy any GSM phone, pop your SIM into it, and it'll work with your phone number.

Also of note, pretty much all of Nokia's newer phones have excellent bluetooth capability/quality. So just head to some online store and buy a GSM version. If you're using Cingular, it *will* work.

If you're curious, the best place to get info on cingular is probably over at http://www.howardforums.com

Also, if you're looking to buy a new phone, check out http://www.just-talk.com/ (they tend to sell the top-of-the-line phones, but I think they have basic ones as well).

5. mboileau

mboileau New Member

I really don't think popping your SIM card into "any" GSM phone will work. GSM phones need to be "unlocked" in order to switch dedicated GSM networks. It's not just the SIM card. You can, however, get the unlock codes for most standard production GSM phones off the Internet, most for a small fee.

As I've commented in other threads, you have to remember that voice transfer over Bluetooth is half-duplex, meaning sound is only transferred in one direction at one time. If both of you try talking at the same time, or if either side has excessive background noise, the signal will most definitely cut out on you. That produces much fo the choppiness that your listeners hear. It doesn't mean that hte background noise is necessarily from your side, since you've indicated that the windows are up, the fan is down low and there are no other background noises. It could well be their side. I've run tests will talking to someone on a mobile phone, on a land line, under various noise conditions and it correlates directly. These facts are also documented in the Prius manuals.

I was just commenting on what appears to be a signal gain adjustment setting for the Bluetooth connection in the "Hidden Tests/Settings" screens. Perhaps you can experiment with cranking the gain up a few db.

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There's also a bt voice quality setting which ranges from 1-4 - it may be a compression setting, however I haven't been able to find much in the docs. I changed mine from 3-4 and noticed a small difference, I may try other numbers too.

7. xevious

xevious New Member

Actually, you're wrong. Under Bluetooth 1.0 and 1.1, the Hands Free Profile and Headset Profile (which was new to 1.1) are both defined as being full-duplex, meaning that sound is transferred in both directions simultaneously. I know of no headsets that are only half-duplex, although it is possible (but unlikely) that some of the first generation headsets may have been. Any such device should never have carried the Bluetooth symbol or logo.

The Prius' built-in hands free system is in fact full-duplex. Some simple experimentation will prove this to you. The system does, however, feature a rather agressive microphone/speaker gain contoller that attempts to eliminate feedback, echo, and ambient noise. Under certain conditions, this system could yield behavior similar to a half-duplex system, where the speaker is muted during microphone reception.

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had the opposite results where background noise on my caller's phone overpowered the microphone gain in my car - requiring me to switch my phone to non-hands-free operation to continue the conversation. Once you've done that, with the Nokia 3650, you have to resync (power off the phone or car - or enter and exit the diag mode in the car) with the car before the speakerphone portion will work again.

-Rick

9. Mitchla

Mitchla New Member

All interesting. Thanks, you guys, for the lively discussion.

Where does one find the ""Hidden Tests/Settings" screens" and BT voice quality settings referenced above?

Cheers...

10. Astroprius

Astroprius New Member

The SE T616 won't allow you to switch off hands-free operation once the Bluetooth connection has been established. Perhaps it's just with my phone, but I can't turn bluetooth of once the connection has been established.

11. mboileau

mboileau New Member

It's a frustrating problem, since the T616 user's manual actually says there's supposed to be a 'transfer call' function available during a connected call. I haven't seen it and wonder if it's not in the present software for the phone.

If the vehicle isn't moving, you can always go into Phone->Settings->Select Phone and choose a different device. That should disable the activated BT link. It's not possible to disconnect the BT link from the phone side once it has been connected.