1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pop sound and vibration near firewall at highway speeds

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Frontporch, May 28, 2021.

1. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today I noticed a popping sound while cruising at highway speeds that I could feel at the firewall. It was kind of random and sounded like a very muffled backfire.

So what did I do immediately before that? I jacked up the car and rotated the tires. While doing that I also checked the front calipers for a noise that I had been hearing. A scraping after braking and during breaking while coming down an occasional very very large hill. As part of my exam, I pushed in the caliper pistons a little to be able to move the caliper and check for binding. All OK... Turns out I think it was a rusted dust shield. I pushed that back a little and the noise seems to be gone.

Not sure what this new highway noise is. Prius has 225K miles. 2007. I checked for loose plastic underneath and nothing apparent. At less than highway speeds it drives fine and is quiet on turns and while braking.

2. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a follow up. The noise and bumping under my feet happened this morning on my way to work. A 10 mile drive where I am on the highway at 65 mph. After getting off the highway I drove another 4 or 5 miles with speeds below 50. No noise

on the drive back at noon it the same 10 mile highway run. This time nothing unusual. I am away from the car for the weekend but I plan on putting it up on ramps to see what’s going on when I return

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When you get the bump and noise, do you by any chance also get a amber light on the dash for traction control being active?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn’t notice any dash lights or warnings with this latest issue

the car does have an issue while braking if I run over rough roads the traction light may come on and the brakes feel like the let go momentarily. Never found a solution to that. Been happening for years

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe one of the aero covers?

6. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just drove up on ramps and nothing unusual stood out. I did notice it looks like my exhaust gasket is worn. I wonder if this could be the cause of my noises. I have had a cat efficiency code on and off and this would probably qualify as an exhaust leak although it’s not loud
    B788712D-AA74-4E03-896D-DCF607C687CD.jpeg

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Nice find, but I'd say 'gone' instead of worn. It should be a carbon donut. That gap is where some of it used to be. I have seen cats clogged badly enough that at higher power levels, the pipe will lift off the gasket to relieve pressure, kind of like a pressure cooker. Pounds the heck out of the donut gasket.

8. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Right. Gone is a better description I don’t have drivability or mpg issues yet so I would be surprised about the cat being clogged but who knows.

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    From Post #1: Today I noticed a popping sound while cruising at highway speeds that I could feel at the firewall. It was kind of random and sounded like a very muffled backfire.

Not sure what this new highway noise is.

I would say you have your answer...

and this:

the car does have an issue while braking if I run over rough roads the traction light may come on and the brakes feel like the let go momentarily. Never found a solution to that. Been happening for years

has been happening to not only you, but every owner of every Gen 2. Pretty much standard operation of the Gen 2 traction control/abs. Nothing to worry about.

Frontporch likes this.
  10. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The gasket may be self healing because the car has been driving better than ever. I actually had some sounds that were like pinging under hardly aggressive driving prior to this incident. Drove 90 minutes on highway and hills, got 48.5 mpg.

Then when I was driving locally, the red triangle. I thought maybe a door open... but no. Damn I should have that scanner with me in the car. I noticed the air bag light on, check engine light on. I moved the car a few miles to another parking lot and got out to leave it there. Noticed a puddle below, went back and moved it back.. just water from A/C. moved back into the space. The triangle and check engine light were off. I was at a work site, so I got a ride to the hotel. Going to see if I can hookup a code reader in the morning.

Seems like with 225K and 15 years, it may be suffering from old age.

I haven't replaced the gasket yet because I have read reviews that no aftermarket gaskets will fit over the converter.

11. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And the 95 mile ride home a day after was uneventful. No drivability issues, red triangles or CEL.