1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pop!Tech: Thomas Friedman

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Alric, May 1, 2007.

1. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Excellent show!

http://www.poptech.org/popcasts/popcasts.aspx?viewcastid=1

Paraphrasing:

"We are funding both sides of the war on terror. Our addiction to energy funds a madrassa that educates a terrorist that your son will kill someday."

"The techno revolution of the 21st centtury will be renewable energy"

Smart man. The Kyoto agreement might not have been a bad idea...

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Kyoto is a joke. Look at Canada's GHG emissions. They're up considerably over the 1990 baseline because of tar sand oil production. Kyoto is a failure. We need to find a better way.

I like Tom Friedman, though. He has a lot of good ideas, and the right attitude.

3. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ May 1 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]433313[/snapback]</div>
    Its a joke under current oil energy thinking. If the economy was not based on oil any nation that worked to comply with the Kyoto agreement would have the upper hand. Not because of the Kyoto agreement itself but because they would posses the necessary technology.

Non-oil energy will be the economic revolution of the future and we are being left behind.

4. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree, but I don't think we're being left behind. There's a LOT of good stuff going on here. Just look at the amount of money that's being invested in green/greener technology. It we do anything well it's jump on the opportunity to make money. The problems we're facing with energy/environment/security also provide us with enormous opportunities. It's just like the Chinese character for "anxiety", which is a combination of danger and opportunity.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    did anyone catch Friedmans show on the Science channel last weekend?? about alternative energy and going green?? very very interesting

6. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ May 1 2007, 08:58 AM) [snapback]433176[/snapback]</div>
    According to the people on the peak oil forums(granted, they are experts like people on this board are experts in the prius):

http://www.peakoil.com/forums.html

According to them the ability to scale the renewables to current energy comsumpation rates is mathematically impossible. We'll be killing ourselves over oil before we get 50-100 million plugin hybrid's out there on the road. They've vetted the data that's out there and they give a bleak picture. It's actually pretty amusing. But scaling renewables is non starter pipe dream(according to them).

7. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 1 2007, 12:33 PM) [snapback]433367[/snapback]</div>
    Uh... which forum?

That sounds pretty defeatist to me. Fighting for the oil won't work either. Oil infrastructure is very vulnerable. It'll get destroyed very quickly. Besides, large scale warfare will cost far, far more than simply switching gears. It's not like the oil will suddenly be gone. The price of it will sky rocket. We'll have abandoned oil long before we run out of it.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 1 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]433367[/snapback]</div>
    The ideas presented by Amory Lovins and the corporations that have taken some of these measures tells a different story. Is it infailable? Who knows but it's better than business as usual and people are profiting on the ideas while lessening their impact on this earth and us.

9. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ May 1 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]433406[/snapback]</div>
    Which board? I tried to thrown in my 2 cents(which is about what it's worth) into the main discussion and alternative energies board. It was kind of interesting, but very cumbersome. They had their statistics and talking points ready. Any rhetorical arguments I had on an optimistic future without oil was promptly defeated with neat statistics that was spun to spell armaggedon. I just couldn't counter their statistics. I thought maybe some here who actually know the numbers might be able to put up a better fight, but I couldn't.

As for the war for oil, we have one right now for the middle east. We probably won't go toe to toe with Chindia or Russia for fuel, but there might be pricing/monentary blackmail scenarios which might make us go without oil as if it were a war.

Nonetheless, I agree with you. I think the price of oil will drive innovation and conservation way before we kill each other off for oil(but hopefully before we face the music with global warming).

10. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the link you gave had many forums on it (sorta like the PC "forums" page). I thought you might be referring to a specific forum within that page. I'm not trying to take the piss out of you. ;)

I think the two are pretty well interwoven, which works to our advantage (thankfully).