1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pop-up adds

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by jelloslug, Sep 5, 2008.

1. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have noticed for the last week or so there has been a pop up add for some survey from the banner adds. Do you guys have the option of not having pop-up from your add provider? This is rather annoying.....

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If your talking about the one that scrolls across the bottom of the screen I have only seen it once last week.

The one that is starting to get on my nerve is the Sharp Solar Panel banner add that when you mouse goes over it it wants to drop down.

I hate ads but the ones I hate the most are the ones that try to stand out and get in your way.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I hate those Sharp Solar Panel ads. They drop down and get in the way. I haven't taken the time yet, but I want to write and tell them that those ads are so annoying that they will keep me from buying their products. There are unstated rules in world of ads, and those cross the line.

Edit: I went to their website and posted a complaint. These guys are spending money to hurt their own reputation.

Tom

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really can't stand that piece of crap that crawls across the bottom.....

KILL IT KK6PD

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Sharp ad is especially annoying because of its positioning right under the View New Posts link, so that if you naturally scroll straight down from View New Posts or up to View New Posts, the Sharp ad pops.

That polling banner ad is especially annoying because you can't avoid it (or at least I don't know how to).

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If anyone can grab a screen capture of the scrolling ad, I'd love to know what it is. I saw it once yesterday and was shocked to see it on PC. I don't have any agreements with any companies to allow those types of ads on PC.

I apologize to those of you who aren't big fans of the Sharp ads - I believe they have at least changed the programming in them to close back up without the need to click the little "x".

7. Neohybrid

Neohybrid Not-so-junior member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have seen it three times this week (twice yesterday), but nothing yet today. Maybe it's gone.

8. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got the scrolling ad this morning.

Tom

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Okay Danny, here is a screen capture of the floating ad. I got it this morning.

Tom

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm going to pile on to the complaints about the Sharp Solar banner ad that expands when the mouse gets near it. It is interfering with some of the functionality of the web site. For example, when replying to a thread, if I inadvertently expand the banner, it will cover up the icons that allow you to add images, links, etc. It is very annoying.

I understand the need for advertising on the site, but it shouldn't make it harder to use the site.

11. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    X2! I'm glad I'm not the only one that's annoyed by that Sharp ad that prevents the view new posts from being clicked when it's expanded.

12. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just FYI, I just got this....

Image1.png

13. Neohybrid

Neohybrid Not-so-junior member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just got it too! I didn't see it earlier today when I was on, but it just popped up. I got a screen shot, but it looks like dwdean got it already.

14. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Me too! That scrolling banner ad had disappeared for a couple of weeks. Then it appeared today slowly sliding across the screen.

15. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Danny sent a screen capture of the scrolling ad in on Sept 6th. Note my post from that day.

Tom

16. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've seen the scrolling ad 3 or 4 times this evening. Really annoying.

17. kazots

kazots LifesaBeach

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I thought it was these ads in order to pay for PC. I found it annoying too, but let it go for that reason.

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah. I've had the floater across the bottom a few times.

But I am more annoyed by the Sharp Solar and the other one that when you mouse over get really big. I have to stop and go back up and close it because it covers up some of the menus. It's hard to keep the mouse continually on the side of the window to avoid mousing over the ads.

I understand the need for ads. And I understand that the ad people want their ads noticed. But they are getting really annoying. Especially when I have to dig around for the little x to close them; they're never in the same place, different for each ad.

19. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The expandable ads (ie sharp and the fruit drink one) are pretty annoying, but I find the random one that scrolls along the bottom to be more of a bother. With the expandable ones, I can scroll down and they are gone, or just make sure my mouse doesn't scroll over them. With the scrolling survey ad, it moves with me as a scroll. I wonder if its an ad that Danny needs to block, because the way he asked what it was in the earlier post, he doesn't know anything about it.

20. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm sure that there's some logic to the way that those things display. While it escapes me, whatever parameter is controlling the frequency seems to have found the "sweat spot", I've now seen that "opinion" ad three times tonight.