1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Porsche 918 PHEV going to production. Place your order now before they're snapped up!!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by UsedToLoveCars, Mar 21, 2011.

1. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    only $845,000...

Officially Official: Porsche releases 918 hybrid details, priced from $845,000 — Autoblog

[​IMG]

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    At THAT price, the number of buyers won't put much of a dent in porsche's CAFE (corporte average fuel economy) requirements.

3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How IS Porsche going to hit these new standards?

4. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL, I can see Tesla Motors' next advertising campaign now...

"For the price of one of theirs, you can buy 8 of ours!" :D

5. vnhk

vnhk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would buy a PHEV Prius and use the $800,000 left over to drive the car to travel around the world.

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Beautiful, car too bad they are only making 918 of them. I bet the run will be sold out with advanced orders soon.

Its not about cafe, its about showcasing R&D. CAFE will get met with their bev boxster and other hybrids.

Ah, but they are really competing against a lesser porsche the 911. I don't think they want potential buyers really looking at this and drooling.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    the same way Mercedes does . . . . they don't. They simply take the penalty/hit and tack that price onto your total out-the-door price.
    boxter? ... other hybrids? ... someday? Hope so. Only the hope for ME is that it will be a "real" car ... meaning one they do in mass production, like the beetle was ... or like the Golf, etc. Then again, I was hoping GM would be able to make a hybrid that only gets 40mpg. so many years ... still waiting.

8. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sighhh what a beautiful car.

9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    A great demonstration of phev technology, and all you can be is negative.

Porsche doesn't sell many cars, so in no way could they drive volume for hybrids or evs. What they can do is show what the technology can do and make it desirable to the market. The 918 is a PHEV because it is about the best drive train they could come up with. It gets great mileage simply because porsche picked the best materials to make it light and fast. There was so muh ethusiam at the car show that they decided to do a limited edition.

I expect them to sell the boxster EVs at a loss, since they will make the fines lower or go away on other cars. They will be testing a ev boxster prototype this year. Its will be a real car, but even if every car porsche sold in the US was ev, the volume would be tiny compared to what leaf sales will be.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Negative is not want I meant to be. Yea, you're right ... the teeny sister corporation Porsche sells few cars ... but the parent, VW sells lots. What I'd hope, is the IF VW (Porsche Audi) ever sells hybrids - it'd be nice to see a bunch of hybrids from THE company ... the main company ... the parent company. Technology is great, and I hope it carrys over so that more than 1/100 of 1% of the auto buying market can make use of it some day, whenever it becomes available.

11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same hopes, but not great confidence in vw. VW and Porsche designed their lux hybrid SUVs together, but these are still guzzlers. VW is coming out with a jetta hybrid next year. It will probably perform much like the civic hybrid. Not prius numbers but good economy. The big question is if they will sell many. I don't expect vw will integrate the best porsche efficiency technology for years, but it does show promise. The merger still hasn't gone through.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...touareg_hybrid_touareg_tdi-first_drive_review