1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Portable Cooler

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by icemanjrperu, Apr 19, 2006.

1. icemanjrperu

icemanjrperu New Member

Hi

I'm looking to remove the center console and replace it with an electric cooler that will maintain items abou 40 degrees below ambient temperature. It pulls 3.5 amps and runs off 12V DC current.

I live here in Dallas Texas and I'm buying bottled water all day every day. I work out of my car it's just too hot to keep water in the car.

Does anybody have any idea if running 3.5 aMmps will tax the circuit too much m(the same circuit that was inside the center console) Or should I forget it and just get an ice chest and keep it filled with ice?

Thanks for any advice

Jim
    2006 Prius
    Silver
    Bedford, TX

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I trust that someone else will tell you if thats too much or not (i remember reading somewhere how much you could load on that circuit, but don't remember the number).

That being said, there is always the option of adding you're own fused line for the cooler. You could hook it up straight to the battery in the back, or possibly stick a fuse into the fuse box in the front and run it off there (i believe there are some open slots).

Whatever you do, don't give up just because the solution isn't as easy as you first thought!

3. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Have you considered the Stainless Thermos-Nissan Vacuum bottles? They do a very good job of keeping things cool or hot. Freeze a little water in one over night and add cold water in the morning and it should stay cold all day. Go the the Thermos website for the specs. Here's a place that has good prices:

http://www.tradercountry.com/thermosbottles.html