1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Portable satellite units -No antenna needed?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jennjay, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Has anyone tried the portable satellite receivers that have a built in antenna. I would love to have a unit that I can bring in the car, plug into the aux ( or use with FM transmitter in my wife's 05) and go without the need to put an external antenna on the dash or roof . I'm dubious of these working well though. I would prefer Sirius to XM, but either would be fine. If anyone has any experience or insight, it would be appreciated. Thanks

2. NCPriusGrl

NCPriusGrl New Member

I haven't tried it, but if you are worried about putting an antennae on your roof due to paint scratching or something, you can do what I did. We cut a piece of chamois out and put it between the antennae and the roof. The magnet is strong enough to hold and the chamois prevents the paint from getting scratched.

I have XM and have a permenant mount for my receiver and can remove it when I need, and so I have never tried the portable units. My mom uses a portable (in her Chevy SSR) and just throws the little tiny anntenae on her dashboard when she drives.

3. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jennjay @ Nov 6 2006, 06:42 AM) [snapback]344418[/snapback]</div>
    We use our little Sirius receiver both at home or in the Prius. Tried a sat receiver with a built-in antenna and it didn't work well at all. The Sirius model Starmate comes with an external antenna (strong magnet base and quite small) and fits beautifully alongside the vehicle's existing stub radio antenna just above the hatch door. That also looks after using the Sirius transmitter function to provide the signal to our Prius' FM radio on 90.1 ( in our case). Running the cable through the vehicle to the little sat receiver which we keep in the lower drawer under the center armrest was easy. [attachmentid=5615][attachmentid=5616]
    Gary

Attached Files:

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a portable XM radio, which has both a built-in antenna and a plug for an external antenna. The external antenna is mounted much like Canuck did behind the regular antenna. When I'm in my wife's car, we use the built in, but I have to align it just right, or I lose the signal. Generally I have to hold the radio, so I can move it as needed.

5. prosec34

prosec34 New Member

The internal antenna on my portable Pioneer Airware is practically worthless. You'll absolutely need an external antenna.

6. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We use the XM Radio MyFi from Delphi. It has an internal antenna but because all of these satellite based services need to see the southern sky at all times the unit works flawlessly if you get the mobile kit. It also comes with a cradle which serves to power it from the car as well. The wife liked it so much she....ahem....stole it from me and now has it all the time in her car. hehe. I can't complain, however, because I have the factory XM in my Prius I ain't complaining. The car kit, by the way, comes with a tiny (almost postage stamp size) magnetic mount antenna. Just run the antenna cable to the cradle and your done. It has great reliable reception.

7. edvalencia

edvalencia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was running the Starmate in my '01 Prius using the FM modulator and external antenna. It sat in a cradle that mounts to the front windshield. I found that the sound quality using the FM modulator is not the greatest. I tried several different stations, but kept getting interference. Since I never listen to regular FM radio, I removed the FM antenna and it worked great ever since. From the looks of the 2nd Gen's antenna, it may not be as easy to remove.

*EDIT: Wow, Just noticed I revived a really old thread...