1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Portable tire inflator?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusRos, Aug 13, 2006.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does anybody use a portable tire inflator for routine maintenance of tire pressure? How easy are they to use?

If so, do you have any recommendations on brand? How much does it cost?

I dislike going to the gas station to use the coin-operated air pumps. Seems the pump always stops just before I've quite finished with the last tire!

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  3. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume you are looking for an air pump, not a tire gauge...

I have two options which I use.

First, I have a small portable compressor which I use for various household chores such as cleaning vents. With this compressor I fill my portable air tank which will last me more than an entire day at the track where I need to adjust tire pressure frequently.

Secondly, I have el-cheapo air pumps that plug into the cigarette lighter receptacles in each car. I just bought cheap ones for less than twenty dollars on sale at a local discount parts store and although they are slow and noisy, they are perfectly acceptable for filling small tires and basketballs. They came with two nozzles to blw out things, one needle, and by default they fit over car and bicycle tires. They will put out up to 150 pounds of pressure which is more than you will ever need to fill a car tire that is low on air. The other day I blew up my nephew's football with it.

The convenience of this type of device is that more often than not it seems low tire pressure is seen in a motel parking lot instead of a gas station. Plus these thinsg are quite small and will even fit in a standard shaving kit.

4. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Aug 13 2006, 12:05 PM) [snapback]302547[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks -- yes, I'm looking for an air pump. The second option, one that plugs into the cigarette lighter, is what I'm thinking of. I want to use it to maintain proper pressure on a regular basis...i.e., maybe adding a pound or two at a time. Or, when I notice the pressure low in the motel parking lot. ;) I assume this type of air pump is suitable for that task?

My other use would be to prepare Peking Duck. You are supposed to inflate the duck first before you cook it (to loosen the skin). It's hard with the wading pool hand pump I had been using! :lol: On second thoughts, that might not be very practical. I wouldn't want to have to take the duck out to the car to pump it up!

5. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Aug 13 2006, 12:26 PM) [snapback]302556[/snapback]</div>

I bought an emergency road kit from Costco for $20-$30 or so, that comes with the cigarette lighter mini compressor, fix a flat, and other goodies. It is really awesome! About the duck thing....you're on your own there! :lol:

6. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ Aug 13 2006, 01:04 PM) [snapback]302575[/snapback]</div>
    I ran out to Costco and, as I usually find with Costco, they didn't have the one thing I went to get. They had an extremely heavy unit that included a battery charger but that was all. So I spent a whole bunch of money on other things instead. :p

Then I went to the auto supplies store to see what they had. They had two 12V air compressors. One is Tailgate Tools 260 PSI Air Compressor 4 in 1 -- (includes the compressor, lamp, flashing lamp, and a pressure gauge), which cost $20. The other is the Typhoon Max X300 for $30 which is larger and is just the compressor and gauge. It said it pumps "50% faster than other 12V compressors" and can fill LARGE Tires. The example they gave was 3.5 minutes to fill 13" tire.

That didn't seem very fast to me, and 13" is not a large tire! But then, I don't really know what to expect. Also, when they say "fill", what are they starting at? A newly mounted tire with no air at all?

How long does it usually take to top of the air in each tire? How easy to use are these things?

Is anybody familiar with either of these brands?

Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A tire pump will also work but I did purchase a small one from CH that is loud and it does take a while but is better than rolling up to one of those gas station things.

It almost cost more to ship it. I've had mine for better than 6 monts and I love it.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/ch_tire_inflators.cfm

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Aug 13 2006, 02:46 PM) [snapback]302671[/snapback]</div>
    Costco offers the following models online. If you don't like the product, it can be returned for a full refund, shipping included, to any warehouse location.

Coleman Inflat-all® 12volt Electric Air Pump

Vector Airpro Compressor/Inflator Combo

10. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

11. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Aug 13 2006, 06:09 PM) [snapback]302684[/snapback]</div>
    When you say it takes a while, how long does it take? (To add a pound or two). How easy is it to get the exact pressure you want?

12. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was considering getting this from Sears.

13. JasonQG

JasonQG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Aug 13 2006, 02:46 PM) [snapback]302671[/snapback]</div>
    I have the Typhoon. Seems to work okay. I don't have much to compare it to, though. Previously, I had received a cheap inflator as a gift, which had a built-in gauge that claimed my tires were inflated to 60 psi or something crazy like that and sounded like it was going to explode when I used it. I'm satisfied with the Typhoon, though.

14. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JasonQG @ Aug 13 2006, 07:14 PM) [snapback]302708[/snapback]</div>
    How long does it take to top off the air in your tires? Is it fairly easy to use?

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I want something automatic (or programmable.)

I want to set the tire pressure I want, turn it on and it shuts itself off when the preset tire pressure is reached.

Is that too much to ask for?

16. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 13 2006, 08:02 PM) [snapback]302719[/snapback]</div>
    No -- it isn't! I'm in total agreement.

17. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 13 2006, 07:02 PM) [snapback]302719[/snapback]</div>
    Well, Sears/Craftsman got close. I own a portable 12-volt inflator that lets you set the desired pressure, turn it on, and it will turn itself off when the attached digital gauge thinks the desired pressure has been reached. The problem is that it seems to measure the pressure while inflating, which gives it (no pun intended) inflated numbers. Maybe I've not figured out how to use it correctly yet, but it seems like it is easier to just inflate, check the pressure, then adjust.

18. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 13 2006, 08:02 PM) [snapback]302719[/snapback]</div>
    There is another thread dealing with the accuracy/consistency of air gauges and the impact they have on proper inflation levels and resulting safety/efficiency of the tires.

Basically most gauges are not accurate, but the better ones will likely be consistent. It is usually better to rely on a decent gauge with good readout (I prefer digital, backlit, and 1/2 pound increments), and onloy use that gauge all the time to determine proper tire pressure.

19. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Aug 14 2006, 08:56 AM) [snapback]302942[/snapback]</div>
    Any brands/models you've found to be more consistently acccurate?

20. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Shortly after I got my Prius, I purchased a high-grade, accurate tire gauge from Racer Parts Wholesale (online) and a 12v Campbell-Haufeld copressor from Wall-Mart. The cheap gauges (both digital and pencil types) are notoriously inaccurate. As I recall, I Paid ~$25.00 for the gauge (large analog dial) and about $20 for the compressor. They "live" in the left storage bin of the luggage area. The pressure gauge also has a bleed valve to adjust to exact pressures.[attachmentid=4484][attachmentid=4485][attachmentid=4485][attachmentid=4484][attachmentid=4486][attachmentid=4486][attachmentid=4486][attachmentid=4486][attachmentid=4488][attachmentid=4489][attachmentid=4488]