1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Posessed MFD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dwalkerw, Nov 17, 2006.

1. dwalkerw

dwalkerw New Member

I have been experiencing some strange behaviors with my MFD lately. First, I have the brighness of the display dimmed rather low for night time driving. I don't usually drive with my headlights on in the daytime. Sometimes when I start in the morning, my display is full brightness. When I check the display settings, it shows it is not in daytime mode, and the brightness is a couple bars from full dim. Someime later, I notice the display darkens to where it is supposed to be, and works correctly for the rest of the trip. What might be causing this?

Today, I noticed a banner drops down once in a while and shows the outside temp, then rolls back up. I have never noticed this before in the two months I have owned the car. Is this normal?

Dennis

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Are you sure the banner isn't showing inside temp? Perhaps you've accidentally pressed the temp up/down button?

As for MFD brightness, there must be an ambient light sensor somewhere in/near the dash. Someone here will know.

3. dwalkerw

dwalkerw New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Nov 17 2006, 11:36 PM) [snapback]351313[/snapback]</div>

The temperature was outside, I saw it a coupe of times.

Dennis

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the banner drops down on the MFD in lieu of the "snowflake idiot light" that shows up on the dash of 04 and 05 prius. it's a reminder that hey, it's cold out, so watch for slick roads. i assume it pops up as a reminder on occasion at the triggering temp of 37 degrees. (F, not C, as there'd be no danger of ice at 37 C :p)

on the 04 and 05s, the mfd brightness is tied to the dimmer switch, which is tied to whether the lights are on or not. as in, if the lights are off, it's full bright and if the lights are on, you can use the dimmer wheel to adjust brightness. maybe when you go into the display adjust menu (i don't think i have ever tried this, and the 06s are probably different anyway) you can adjust there and that does the trick?