1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Positive addition to the Scott Clark Toyota thread from April

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Rhizzlebop, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Rhizzlebop

Rhizzlebop Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In April I posted an angry thread regarding my experience with this dealership in South Charlotte NC, when I made a quick visit there one Saturday morning.
    I have now purchased a brand new Cosmic Grey Mica Loaded XLE Hycam from here and I want to post a thorough followup with equal praise as I did angst from 3 months ago.

As many of you saw, that thread quickly got the attention of the owner of Scott Clark. I'll leave his name out as he may not want that thrown around the web. His name is not Scott Clark, but I assure you he is the owner as I sat in his large glass office chatting with him about my experience a few weeks ago. I will refer to him as Mr SC in the rest of this thread as I continue to not blast his name all over the web.

I'll say that we ended up emailing and speaking on the phone and ultimately he worked with me directly throughout my shopping experience.

After we spoke regarding that less than ideal experience, Mr SC offered me the opportunity to drive both a prius V and a camry XLE for a week, from his rental fleet, at no charge to me. Each of my rentals from him were over a month apart due to my comflicts. I never got an email rushing or hurrying me. He made it very clear that that offer had no strings attached to it and whether I bought a car from him or not ultimately would not make or break his month and he simply wanted to write a wrong that had occurred at the hands of one of his staff members who may have just had a bad day.

After my second rental from him(The XLE Camry) I had made my decision. Let me say that Mr SC is VERY busy. He is constantly in and out, and on the go, and being pulled in 10 directions at once. I can see that very clearly. With that said, he did his best to personally respond to my emails and phone calls, answer questions etc. It was the day I returned the camry rental that I got to sit down and meet with Mr SC. He treated us like special guests. I could tell he had been running around crazy busy but he sat down and talked with me and my gf for a while about our experience, and his story to becoming the owner there. Super nice guy. He speaks very well. I can see why he has had a successful career. We discussed that I was looking for a specific color that I had not been able to find on any lots. He made a quick call to someone and asked them to bring one of that color down from the garage so we could check it out. Had them park it right down on the main deck there. When it arrived, we all went down together to look at it. He again asked if he could do anything else for us. Just made us feel like the most important customer to ever walk through his door and the world was to be at our feet.
    There is a point to where he may have been righting a wrong, and then there was a point where he went above and beyond that and it was noticed and appreciated.
    Finally, after checking out this nice colored XLE. (It was nearly 7 PM and Mr SC was still with us), he asked if we wanted to drive a hybrid version again to make sure we were happy. I took that last chance to compare ti the gas model I'd just driven for a week and he put us with one of his top guys to take that last test drive. We were set to find one of these to bring home for good.

When it came time to make the move, I initiated contact with many dealerships as my wallet and well being ultimately drives my decisions. I also contacted this owner directly and requested a price on a very specific specified XLE in regards to colors, materials, and options.

I received many quotes and they varied by as much as $2000 from low to high, so I emplore all of you to email for quotes and work down from the lowest offers. It seems some dealers pray on those with a quick trigger and some work on high volume and lower margins.
    I also received an offer from Mr SC. His offer was among the lowest, but not THE lowest. A few offers were for cars with specifics I did NOT want, so pay attention to what they are offering. I sent a few email replies to some other dealers offering a new lower number. Some rebuted. Others responded with slightly lower numbers, but not as low as I had requested. (I aimed low knowing this). I then sent Mr SC an email asking him to beat that lowest price I had been offered on the car he offered to get me.

Mr SC responded with a new number, better than the compeition, and a twist. He said he had found one that was on the way into the states and he wanted to redirect this brand new one straight to the dealership for me. Noone but the guy who gassed it up, drove it before me, and the guy who drove it out of the toyota factory and on the boat.

We agreed. He also told me to come get another rental and drive it until the car arrived. I picked up the rental on a day the rental dept was actually closed. Mr Cady ensured that his staff took care of it and got me in a car to drive. A couple weeks later my phone rang, the car was a week early. Due to conflicts with my schedule it had to wait another week for me to pick it up.

I went up to receive my car and was treated like an important customer, not a number. It was second only to the day I went in to first meet with Mr SC. It did take a couple hours, but thats to be expected. It was a very busy saturday for them, and by the time we looked over the car, did some paperwork, set down in the finance office, and then had their girl go over the features of the car with us, well, it just takes a while.
    Mr SC had even waited for us to arrive before running to his other dealership to handle a matter and I in fact was late for when I said I'd arrive. So, we had missed him. He had waited almost an hour for us. Well, luckily, we were literally in the car, engine on, and putting it in drive, and he came rolling in! So we were able to speak once more with him to say thanks before we left for home.

Again, I can't say it enough. There is good customer service. There is "make-up" customer service, and then there is what Mr SC provided to us. An exceptional experience purchasing a new car. One that I'm not likely to duplicate again unless I visit him for my next car down the road a few years.
    We got an incredible price, on a great car, and I'm very happy about it.

Just a last note to those buying, do NOT buy the gap coverage at the dealer as I did not, and found that travelers offered me GAP for 12 dollars a year (which is worthless to me as I'm not upsidedown). However, for 30 dollars a year, travelers gave me new model year replacement, and thats good for 5 years if I keep that part of my policy that long. I can drop it when I chooce, but basically, if I were to total this car, in June 2017, I would get a brand new loaded 2017 model. thats unreal for 30 bucks a year.
    Also, shop around for extended warranties if you buy those sorts of things. I do not, but we know from this forum, you can get them for under $1,000.

Thanks again for all the great info on this forum.
    PS: Yes I know I posted this in the Prius v forum, but this is where I posted the first thread with negative info about my experience, as well as this forum is so much more active than the hycam forum.

parnami likes this.
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am glad you got the Royal Treatment after you talked to management. That's how most of the good results happen, unfortunately. Often the sales people are under financial pressure to just make a minimal living and end up profiling customers, which is clearly what happened to you initially.

Obviously someone at the dealer was watching the forum as you got a response the same day! While dealers may give the salesman $300 for a sale, the sales force makes more when they sell quickly and when they sell up. They may have been trying to do both through an "evaluation of needs" (profile) before allowing you to drive a car. The managing partner who responded on March 24th basically said as much.

I have walked into dealerships with a checkbook ready to buy and walked out when the salesman pulled something stupid like this or obviously knew nothing about the vehicle. To say nothing of bait and switch advertisements. Luckily Toyota is pretty high on the integrity list but they still want to maximize profits at the dealership.

Finally remember that 32 year olds (that look 30) look like college kids to anyone over 45. Seriously. For reference, the original post.