1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible 12-volt issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Psych_Prof, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Psych_Prof

Psych_Prof New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So, I went to get in my car this morning, and it gave the usual greeting signal as soon as I touched the door handle. However, when I got in the car and pushed the power button, the button illuminated to green as it does in "Ready" mode (I checked and it really was green, not amber), but the dash stayed black. And, I mean it was *completely* black. I pushed the button again, and everything illuminated as normal. I drove to work and back (several hours later) with no issues.

Other relevant info: This morning is about the coldest we've had so far (below 20 deg. F).

I combed the forums but couldn't find anything exactly like this. Do you guys think it is a battery issue? Is this worth a trip to the dealer to avoid the risk of getting stranded somewhere?

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    A similar problem occurs in some 2004-2009 Prii. See the post by PEEF in this thread:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...d-weather-issue-speedometer-display-dead.html

JeffD

3. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a 2010 Prius and the green light on the power button lights as soon as I press the brake pedal (dash stays black) before I press the power button, so maybe you didn't press it hard enough the first time?

Or maybe my green light isn't supposed to come on as soon as I press the brake pedal.

4. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Same thing happend to me this morning.

5. GoSkins

GoSkins Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It happened to me some months ago. It wasn't cold. It hasn't happened again. I credited to not pushing on the brake.

6. CTpriusV

CTpriusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Same here several times and placed the blame in the same place ( me and the brake pedal)

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm another who's experienced a too quick/sloppy with the brake pedal. I wonder if the cold makes the brake switch stick?

If it's the 12v, you probably should have other issues. The 12v in my wife's Cube just went out at 16 months so it's certainly a possibility and shouldn't be automatically ruled out.