1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible battery issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Shayski, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Shayski

Shayski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I recently picked up a 07 Prius with 78k miles. I purchased it at an auction, the car had been in an accident and had light damage to the front end and was also said to have been in a flood too. So I've replaced most of the sheet metal on the car. I'm just waiting for one of the HID headlight Assy. I ordered to come in. Now I've owned a 2013 Prius plug in since 14 and I've put 300k miles on this car and absoulutely love it but it different in a lot of ways from the 07 I just purchased. Now my issue is that when I run the 07 Prius the battery levels seem to be very low, there's only two bars and sometimes three at best. My plug in would always be much higher. Now I drove the car a short distance the other day and when I was pulling back in my driveway the triangle light came up on the dash, and stayed for a short while. I shut the car off let it sit for ten minutes and started it and it was gone. Is there a battery issue with this car or is it because it sat without being run for a long time, if so will it come back to having a normal level or charge in the battery or is it shot or maybe some other issue? Any ideas on how I can find out what's going on with this car? Thanks, I look forward to hear some of your input. Also I haven't seen any evidence that the car was in a flood so I'm not sure why it was listed that way.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Check the engine oil level often, some gen2s have a drinking problem.

Grab a mini-vci cable (and a copy of techstream) to read the stored OBD2 codes (DTCs) and post them here.

Depending on the state of the HV battery, it could be a perfect candidate for reconditioning : http://hybridautomotive.com/

Though slightly OT, it would be great to hear how you kept a 2013 plugin going for 300k miles (y)

Raytheeagle, Skibob and jerrymildred like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might be corrosion inside the battery, and/or external connectors

jerrymildred likes this.