1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible Charging Automation

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prime Charging' started by NullDev, Feb 17, 2024.

1. NullDev

NullDev Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I've read quite a few threads stating that we should not leave the PP plugged in once the battery is full due to it stressing the 12V battery. My question is, does the 12V system still drain if the charge cable is attached to the car, but the power adapter isn't plugged into 120V? I have a Home Assistant setup, and I was considering monitoring the amperage on that outlet. Once I see it drop below some lower threshold, I can just switch it off. Would this eliminate the 12V drain?

I would normally get out meters and attempt to check myself, but today's temps mean I'm chatting with you all instead.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    once the battery is full, the evse shuts off. so i suspect the 12v will still drain even if the wall power is off

3. NullDev

NullDev Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Do you think the 12V still drains even if there is no voltage on the charging port? That would seem an odd design choice. It's a shame there isn't an obvious way of knowing without putting a current clamp on the 12V battery leads.

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My understading of the charge port is that when the EVSE is plugged in and the charging session has finished, is that the charging ECU and the battery ECU keep track of traction battery temps and if needed turns on the battery heaters. ( for the Gen 4 Prime the manual recommended not to keep the EVSE plugged in longer than 3 days ). I believe Gen 5 has a different / longer recommended time frame.

Similarly, in summer monitors traction pack temps while charging to turn on the A/C for battery cooling.

If heat is needed for the traction battery heaters ( while plugged in ) the charger in the car that the EVSE powers when plugged in will maintain the 12 volt battery as well as supplying the power for the heaters.
    So, while leaving the EVSE plugged in, there may be a tiny drain of the 12 volt battery from those monitoring processes.
    Keeping in mind, that both the Prius and Prime actually do automatic things at times like purging the EVAP system ( I think, funny unidentified noises have been reported here many times ) after the car has been off for several minutes or hours depending on if and when the ECU calls for something to be done.

In short the Prius and Prime are not supposed to overly strain the 12 volt unnecessarily.

Not many of us know the full scope of how each bit of 12 volt drain and recharge functions at any specific time, either while plugged-in, unplugged, in ACC, ON or READY even after comparing notes. And the specifics appear to keep changing with each Gen.

#4 vvillovv, Feb 17, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
    bisco likes this.
  5. NullDev

NullDev Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Hmm... Thank you for the additional background. It looks like the only way to know for sure is to put a current meter on the 12V battery and see if current continues to flow while the un-powered charge cable is connected to the charge port. This sounds like a project for much warmer weather...

bisco likes this.
  6. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Page 81 in the manual:
    ●When the vehicle is left with the AC charging cable connected, the electricity consumption amount of the 12-volt battery increases due to controls, such as the system checking, operating. When the AC charging cable is not needed, remove it from the vehicle.

7. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery drains all the time - it's just a question of how fast. Whether the drain caused by monitoring the charging port is remotely significant it would be somewhat interesting to measure. If only to put it in perspective - I suspect the amount of discussion about this drain is totally out of proportion to the amount of drain, if comparing against other system drains.

Think about what you've just said. How would it know there's no voltage on the charging port? It would have to monitor it. Which is the thing that's drawing the power.

There are multiple stages to determining ability to charge - step 1 is detecting whether the cable is physically connected. Step 2 is checking the voltage on the proximity pilot pin.

You minimise power drain by minimising the amount of activity, which you do by disconnecting the cable so it doesn't get to step 2 to start monitoring the proximity pilot pin.

8. NullDev

NullDev Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Oh, I have thought about it. The question is, does the physical act of plugging in the cable (without voltage present) wake up the monitoring circuit or is it the voltage on the cable that does it. From a circuit standpoint, it's relatively easy to make either one initiate active charge monitoring. Looking at the Wikipedia page on the SAE J1772 standard, it looks like pins "PP" and "CP" are involved in this process. It's a rather interesting read.

I also agree that the 12V drain may not be that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. I just thought that since I had the automation capability available, perhaps I could alleviate one potential "issue". Hopefully, warmer weather will allow me to attempt to confirm the answer.