1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible good news for New Yorkers!! No State sales tax is being discussed.....

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by BethlehemPrius, Jul 12, 2007.

1. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

FYI for all the New Yorkers on here, although I live in eastern PA, just saw my local news station which mentioned that NY is pushing for all Hybrids to be free of the state tax when purchasing them.

I can only wish that all states would do this including PA, but won't hold my breath on that one!! lol

2. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BethlehemPrius @ Jul 12 2007, 07:39 PM) [snapback]477887[/snapback]</div>
    That is awsome for NY. I am stoked because WA is doing that and I will get a G3 Prius during this window I hope.

Tax Incentives for Clean Alternative Fuel Vehicles: From 1/1/09-1/1/11, the state use tax and retail sales tax do not apply to sales of new passenger cars, light duty trucks, and medium duty passenger vehicles, which utilize hybrid technology and have an EPA-estimated highway gasoline mileage rating of at least 40 miles per gallon. SB 5916 was signed by the Governor 5/6/05.

All the states incentives are listed at http://go.ucsusa.org/hybridcenter/incentives.cfm

And Guess What, Potential Good News for PA, see Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Sales and Use Tax Exemption (bill): HB 691m introduced and referred to committee 03/09/2007. So keep your fingers crossed, pray, or something.

Pennsylvania
    Hybrid Tax Rebate: The PA Department of Environmental Protection now offers an opportunity to Commonwealth residents to apply for a rebate to assist with the incremental cost for the purchase of a new hybrid, bi-fuel, dual-fuel or dedicated alternative fuel vehicle. The rebate amount for calendar year 2006 is $500. The rebate will be offered throughout the calendar year as long as funds are available. Rebates will be offered on a "first come, first served" basis. Rebate applications shall be submitted no later than six months after the purchase.

Update 7/19/06: This program had been reinstated after the Rendell administration has earmarked $3 million in the state budget for the hybrid vehicle rebate program. According to a representative of the Pennsylvania Environmental Protection Agency, anyone who bought a hybrid vehicle during the suspension period can still get a $500 rebate. The state has also made an eligibility distinction between hybrids that use the technology primarily for fuel economy and what they call "mild" or "muscle" hybrids that use the technology for a performance boost.

A completed rebate form must be accompanied by:
    (1) A copy of a valid Pennsylvania vehicle registration. The name appearing on the vehicle registration card must appear on the dealer invoice. A Pennsylvania Certificate Of Title For A Vehicle is not acceptable.
    (2) A copy of dealer invoice.
    (3) Proof of the vehicle purchase. This can be a copy of the front & back of a canceled check, the finance agreement, or a dealer invoice indicating a zero balance due and receipt of payment in full.

For Rebate form and more Qualifications please see: http://www.depweb.state.pa.us/enintech/cwp...502288&PM=1

Rebate documentation should be submitted to: DEP Grants Center, HEV Rebate, PO Box 8776, Harrisburg, PA 17105-8776. Contact: Cleo Arp-- 717-772-8912 or at [email protected].

Hybrid Registration Fee and Emissions Inspection Exemption (bill): HB 564 reenacts an expired rule that exempts hybrid electric, electric and zero-emission vehicles from the annual registration fee for five years. Similar to HB 309, it would also exempt hybrid electric vehicles that achieve an EPA rating of 40 or better mpg (city) from periodic emission inspection requirements. HB 564 was introduced and referred to committee 03/06/07.

Alternative Energy Investment Tax Credits (bill): HB 696 would provide renewable energy investment tax credits for eligible businesses designated alternative fuel/energy enterprises or hybrid vehicle manufacturing enterprises. The credits equal 15 percent of the qualified expense. The total amount of all renewable energy investment tax credits allowed under this act is limited to $15,000,000 per fiscal year. Introduced and referred to committee 03/09/07.

Hybrid Sales and Use Tax Exemption (bill): HB 858/HB 857 would exclude from the sales and use tax the purchase price of hybrid electric vehicles and vehicles with a federal fuel economy rating of at least 45 mpg. This rule would expire 5 years from its effective date. Thereafter, for five years, the exemption would be allowed for hybrid electric vehicles or vehicles with a Federal fuel economy rating of at least 55 mpg. HB563 extends this tax exemption to the purchase of electric and zero emission vehicles. HB 858 also includes provisions that exempt hybrid electric vehicles with EPA fuel economy ratings of 40 mpg or better from emissions inspection requirements. HB 858 was introduced and referred to committee 03/19/2007.

Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Sales and Use Tax Exemption (bill): HB 691 would exclude from the sales and use tax the sale at retail of batteries and electronic equipment or services used or consumed in converting or manufacturing a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. This rule would expire three years from its effective date. Introduced and referred to committee 03/09/2007.

Alternative Fuels Incentive Grant Program: The AFIG Program was established in 1992 by the Pennsylvania Energy Office to reduce Pennsylvania's dependence on imported oil and improve air quality through the use of alternative fuels. Eligible applicants are essentially any entity incorporated or registered in Pennsylvania and Pennsylvania residents. After July 1, 2001, qualified projects will receive funding for 20 percent of eligible project costs. Purchasing hybrid-electric vehicles is eligible for the grant program. Applications must be submitted during an open opportunity AND prior to incurring any costs. For more information, please contact Karen Miller of the DEP at (717) 772-3359, via email at [email protected], or visit their web site. As of 11/18/04, the current grant cycle is closed.

3. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I honestly would have liked this better than the federal income tax break I got, since I already was deduction heavy any only got about $1200 out of my Prius on my taxes.