1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible Hybrid Battery issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rae Vynn, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, after changing out the 12V battery, which checks out using the secret-handshake test procedure, I did expect to see the "all green" bars on the hybrid battery display on the MFD less often - I thought that the reason was the HB trying to recharge the old, weak 12V, and thus running the ICE more often.

when we first got the Prius, I only saw green bars when I went down a long hill... in the past year or so, I have been seeing it a lot more.

So, after the new 12V, I haven't really gotten better MPG - I'm running about 45 - 48MPG now, which is pretty pathetic, considering how I drive, and the commute I do. The very same route/time of year/temperature/speed, the first couple of years, yielded me 50 - 53 MPG.

There are no error codes, no warnings, but could one (or *gasp* more) of the HB modules be bad? Is it not staying in the blue bar area because it's trying to deal with a bad module or something?

Or, another option, could this be because the ECU still THINKS that we have an old 12V? They put power on it when they swapped the 12V, never lost the radio presets, for instance, so the ECU didn't get reset. Should that have happened?

Has anyone had this issue? How did it get corrected? Does Patrick Wong have the answer for me? :p

Thank you!

2. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Could you let us know how many miles you have on your vehicle.

Is it mostly city driving?

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Does your decline in MPG coincide directly with noticing your battery in the green more often? Was it a dramatic change?

What about tires? 2nd set? 3rd? What size, brand, inflation, etc? And brakes, do all wheels turn freely? Have you ever had the brake drums cleaned?

There will be some loss in battery efficiency over time, but it would be subtle. Only when a module is near failure and there is a constant effort to keep the block pair in balance would MPG decline significantly.

1 person likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Odometer reading now?

45-48 mpg is quite good. Is it possible that your local gasoline formula has been changed over the years, to include a greater proportion of ethanol which has lower energy content?

If a traction battery module was bad, then you would see the master warning red triangle and an MFD warning icon appear. However it is certainly possible that traction battery capacity is declining which is why it is easier to charge the battery up to the 7-8 green bar level.

You could try disconnecting the 12V battery for a few minutes, for fun. That may make the "indicated" mpg per the MFD improve for a short while, until the vehicle fuel consumption history is restored. That action will not impact "actual" mpg measured by keeping track of miles driven and gallons of fuel pumped.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Current ODO: 83,450 mi

Tires: Michelin Hydroedge, with 65K on them. PSI 40/38

Usual commute is 56 miles, of which 8 miles is under 45 mph, 45 is at 60 mph, and the last few is at 30 mph. I run with a "light foot", allow lots of stopping distance, and I try to avoid using the brakes whenever possible (lots of anticipation, etc.).

MPG drop was not sudden, but noticeable over the past two years, as I also started noticing the green bars more. That's why we decided on the 12V test & replacement.

I calculate every tank's MPG by hand - not just relying on the MFD readout, which is often optimistic by a couple of miles.

We could pull the 12V cable for a few minutes to reset the system. Not sure if I'm ready without a clear expectation of positive outcome on that. :)

Thank you, Patrick, for the info.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Hydroedges likely aren't as LRR as the OEM. Might be a factor.

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Rae.

I don't think seeing green more often is of itself enough to indicate a bad (or nearly worn out) battery. I'd also be looking into how well the battery powers the car in EV mode (flat road under 35 MPH). If the battery is really bad you'd also expect to see the SOC drop very quickly when running EV and the ICE keep coming on, even if you are ultra light on the go pedal.

One other thing to consider is the rear vent fan that keeps the battery cool. Even though you don't normally hear it running it does run at a slow speed most of the time. Before I cleaned mine out it was pretty badly clogged and my battery was probably getting hotter than it should. One effect of the hot battery is that the car tries to limit the use of the battery, so you can end up with a 7 bar green SOC but it's still reluctant to run in EV mode and use that charge. So just possibly that could be part of the problem.

BTW. In any case think the 12V disconnect "reset" is a good idea. I remember one other poster here had a similar problem with his SOC always green and he said the battery reset thing worked a treat.

1 person likes this.
  8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was thinking the same thing, but she said she's got 65k on them so I don't think they can account or any recent issues.

BTW. That's great wear you're getting out of those tires Rae. :)

9. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Rae Vynn,

I can't comment on the slight mileage drop, but just some reassuring observations about gentle driving and green bars...

I only use hypermiling techniques in my car, so I'm almost always at 5 or 6 blue bars (sometimes 4 when I've been bad :-D). The few times I've seen "normal" drivers use a Prius, they always get 7 green bars at some point in their trips. If you're accelerating gently and not actively using EV or a glide to drain the battery, it'll charge the SOC right up.

My dad once took my car just for a short drive (to the post office or something like that). When he came back I was shocked to see I had 7 seven green bars.

One woman at church to whom I recently gave a Prius driving lesson turned on her car for our little session, and the car was at 7 green bars from her previous drive. She told me she tries to drive it conservatively, though she had no knowledge of how to activate a glide, or EV, so she meant my gently using the gas.

I remember in cold weather before I had the Scangauge, and I didn't know about stage 4, that the engine wouldn't shut down one day (stage 3) so I just kept on the accelerator nice and gently. By the time I got to my destination a few miles away, same thing, 7 green bars.

I think a lightfooted approach will tend to show that more. With a heavier foot you'll invoke more battery assist, whereas with gentle acceleration more energy will constantly be flowing to the battery during the continuous pulses.

From reading Luscious Garage's site, they recommend cleaning the battery fan every 60k miles like uart already mentioned. At 85k if you haven't done it yet you may want to get that done, might be quite hairy in there!

10. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What is the meaning of this color change with the SOC bars?I have never noticed a color change, but then I don't monitor this page! Could someone please explain this to a newer owner. I don't recall this in the manual, but I may have missed it. This car has a lot of things to read about! Hal

11. jstraw20

jstraw20 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When the 12v was swapped out on my 2006 (both times) I did not experience a drop in fuel economy. In fact, 6 tanks were above lifetime average, 2 were below, & 1 was average.

The first time it was hooked up to a tender in the shop so I didn't lose my settings. The 2nd time was a failure so at least some (I don't remember which) were lost. IMO disconnecting the 12v won't help your situation.

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Their color is redundant with their number. It's just eye candy.

14. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks all!

We'll clean out the battery fan thing... and maybe go ahead and reset the battery/ECU... and I'll just try to stop stressing about it. Today's MPG from our fillup was 47.2 mpg.

I just really miss those 50+ days. *sigh*