1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible incorrect color displayed at US site

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Three60guy, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just discovered that the US site which shows the Barcelona exterior color for the Prius is quite different than the Japanese site for the same color selected.

So, I created CYMK color files for both Salsa Red and the Barcelona colors. Now I had actual colors to compare to. To my amazement the US site is showing the Salsa Red color even though it identifies it as Barcelona.

Here is the link to the Fleet Color chart which shows the CYMK numbers to create your own standard files with. I used Photoshop to create these for myself.

Color Chart

Here is the US Toyota site which I believe has the incorrect Barcelona color:

Prius colors at US site

Here is the Japanese Toyota site showing the same indicated color but actual real color:

Prius colors at Japanese site

If they dont show up with Barcelona just click on the red tab.

I didn't share the files I created because I figured not everyone has Photoshop.

I dug into this because my dealer indicated to me that my Prius will be here in a few days and it would be the Barcelona Red color. I was amazed at the differences between the two sites and decided to dig further.

Am I missing something?

2. XLR8

XLR8 New Member

I think you may be correct Three60guy.

I thought it looked a bit darker on Toyota's site too. Barcelona @ the Japanese site looked different as well. Then the "actual" pics of Barcelona showed up here on PC and I was disappointed in it (personal pref of course).

Now, viewing all of these on a CRT or flat panel (RGB "additive") is quite different from in person viewing all together (and different sunlight can bring out different sahdes too of course).
    But I can tell it's very much like the color I've had before and I changed my order at the very last hour.

Anyway, I do believe you're right and I believe there's a lot to say about seeing these on a monitor rather than in person.

Aaron

3. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How do you know that red is Barcelona Red? The blue is a different blue than we get. I can't tell since everything is in Japanese.

4. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

I looked on three different monitors and could not decide if the color is salsa or barcelona... it does look a bit off either way. I wouldnt worry its not like the colors ever reflect reality when you see them online or even in print materials. I will say though I can see them slipping they still have the 05' interior 360 under the new 06' features demo, seems they are not quite on the ball with some of the site material.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on the owner's photos that someone recently posted, it seems the US site has the most accurate colour scheme

6. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My point was that the Japanese red might not be intended to be either Salsa Red or Barcelona Red. It may be a totally different red with another name as is the blue one? It was just a thought.

7. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you look at the Barcelona Red on the Japanese site you will see the notation of 3R3 noted within the Japanese description. If you then go to the Fleet Color chart and check the Barcelona color it also has the 3R3 notation. Therefore, I can hopefully and safely assume that the color being displayed at the Japanese site is Barcelona. Also, when I compare the CMYK colors on my screen the 3R3 color at the Japanese site looks amazing the same as the file I created with the CMYK numbers.

Hopefully that makes sense.

8. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Ahhh, I didn't realize that -- very good detective work. Thanks.

9. XLR8

XLR8 New Member

I asked my friend Hal (a WW2 Intel vet and speaks fluent Japanese) to look for me a couple of weeks ago.

He said that it definitely says "Metalic Red" but does not say "Barcelona" anywhere that he could see. If it is Barcelona red there on the Japanese site, it's still "off" to me and the "live" shots of a 2006 Prius in Barcelona here on PC are IMO, more "redder" than I thought it would be. I wanted somewhere between Salsa and this "new" color, closer to Salsa preferred.

LOL, I just took "color" out of the equation and changed to plain ole silver.

Aaron

10. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

but the colors have different names on different markets despite of whether the color is the same or not

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yup

Salsa Red - Merlot Red - Regency Red
    Tideland - Jade Green