1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible problem with my '07 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by diamondlarry, Jul 26, 2007.

1. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think I'm hearing what sounds like a metalic sort of noise coming from the right-front corner when turning left. Cruising straight, turning right, or braking(friction or regen) doesn't seem to make it happen. Is this unusual or am I just noticing it because I have my windows open and can hear more of what's going on?

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(diamondlarry @ Jul 26 2007, 08:30 PM) [snapback]485818[/snapback]</div>
    try turning off the A/C, and see if it goes away. The A/C seems a tad whiny if you are listening closely.

3. diamondlarry

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jul 26 2007, 08:42 PM) [snapback]485823[/snapback]</div>
    I wasn't running A/C.

4. PriusTouring07

PriusTouring07 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(diamondlarry @ Jul 26 2007, 08:01 PM) [snapback]485837[/snapback]</div>
    Now what the heck is package #7 on the 2007?!? Dont they go up to 6? Maybe whatever the Package 7 gadget is is making this noise....;-)

5. diamondlarry

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusTouring07 @ Jul 26 2007, 09:04 PM) [snapback]485840[/snapback]</div>
    Oops! :huh: Typed in the wrong number when I set up my profile.

6. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(diamondlarry @ Jul 26 2007, 09:01 PM) [snapback]485837[/snapback]</div>
    HMM....Perhaps you may know someone else who has a prius and they will let you take them for a ride and ask them if they hear it and compare it to theirs.

7. iDonna

iDonna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(diamondlarry @ Jul 26 2007, 08:30 PM) [snapback]485818[/snapback]</div>

Hmmm. Well now that you mention it...

I hear a screeching (sp?) sound when I cut the wheel sharp left. Typically this happens when pulling into a local parking lot by work. Since my driver's side window is typically open when this happens because I'm grabbing the parking ticket thingy, I've noticed it. Typically, I'm blasting music.

Anyway, I was going to ask one of the men friends what the deal was. Guys always seem to be pros at everything auto noise. My talent lies in mimiciking the noises B)

-iD

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(diamondlarry @ Jul 27 2007, 03:01 AM) [snapback]486002[/snapback]</div>
    Did that make the noise go away?

If you're going to be in the Chicagoland area anytime soon, let me or Wayne know.

9. telstar

telstar New Member

I can't speak with any authority on this since my Prius hasn't arrived yet (hopefully anytime between today & a couple of weeks :rolleyes: ) - however, my 95 T100 (Toyota truck) has rubber bumpers for the front suspension to nudge against when making a sharp right or left turn. If those rubber bumpers aren't lubricated with a smear of grease often enough it sounds like the springs are falling out from under the vehicle when you turn all the way to the stops either right or left. This may not be anything like what is acutally going on with your Prius so take it for what it's worth :) .

10. diamondlarry

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 27 2007, 09:24 AM) [snapback]486052[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Tony. I think I may have solved the mystery.:knocks on head, err, wood: I think it may have just been a stone stuck in the front brake on the right side. I made a left turn today to cut into the parking lot of a school near work so I could stop to get to S4 and, the noise got really bad then disappeared quickly and hasn't came back since. I started thinking about it and I think I first noticed it when turning into the lot where my wife works; they have a crushed limestone lot. Last night, Hobbit also suggested going into neutral and hitting the brakes once in awhile to keep the rotors cleaned off or it could cause odd noises as well.

11. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(diamondlarry @ Jul 27 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]486314[/snapback]</div>
    I never would have thought about that and it makes perfect sense. Also that is a great tip for cleaning the rotors, often I have taken a trip and have hit the brakes harder just to try to knock the rust of the rotors with minimal results. Thanks for sharing that info. Now I know I can just ride down a hill in neutral once in awhile and clean them off.