1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible recall of 67 million ARC airbag inflators

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Georgina Rudkus, May 14, 2023.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    meh.
    "your government bureaucrats" at work...struggling to justify their paychecks.

What's the risk of not having the inflators in the car?

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My understanding is there may be a market for air bags like there is for catalytic converters. Not something I'm terribly interested in.

Bob Wilson

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The inflators—at least the hybrid kind, containing both a pre-compressed gas and a chemical gas source—can also have another application: launch torpedoes better.

For geeks who like to quantify things, that same source tells that a typical hybrid gas generator of that kind is good for "about twenty-five kilojoules".

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Back in the day we used HP air or just let things swim away.
    Tactically speaking, opening the outer doors and flooding down the tube "can" be done quietly, but if you're close enough to a worthy opponent to shoot them with a 48, they're going to hear the leaves crunching on the forest floor and KNOW they're being stalked.
    Either way.....no submarine is going to push, squirt, pop, or shoot something that weighs more than a Prius out of a torpedo tube without generating a transient (sound) that even our sensory deprived media would be able to detect!
    After that, lots of things start happening VERY quickly.
    Counter fire.
    Own ship hauling tail in the AWAY direction.
    etc...etc...
    All of this, of course, is PRE-UUV!
    Soon, the idea of launching torpedoes might be as quaint as a bunch of sweaty dudes pulling on oars - or maybe not.
    Planes still drop bombs.... ;)

My sweet spouse blames torpedo tubes (or more specifically, rapid pressure differentials) for my moderate tinnitus, and this is not a completely baseless assumption.
    However (comma!!!) I also used a lot of inadequately muffled lawn equipment as a child and grew up listening to overamplified rock music.

SO.....
    My beloved home state of Indiana is the namesake of a fairly new submarine - SSN798, recently featured in the Youtubes.
    If you skip ahead to 17:00 you will get a pretty good....um...'shot' of one of their tubes.
    No airbags inflators to replace here.... :cool:

#6 ETC(SS), May 20, 2023
    Last edited: May 20, 2023
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Youtube finally gets me the tour my dad wanted to get me when I was, like, 9, but the commandant said no.