1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible to lower the drivers seat?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mtissington, Aug 11, 2007.

1. mtissington

mtissington New Member

6' 2" and counting ... without changing the drivers seat, its it possible to lower the seat ?

2. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

3. amnon

amnon Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mtissington @ Aug 10 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]493870[/snapback]</div>
    Same here, and I like to sit up as upright as possible.

It seems like there's a lot of space under the seat (I do have the nav system so even with all the stuff under the seat there's space).

I like the seat, but if it were 1-2 inches lower in the car it would be fantastic.

4. prius2go

prius2go Member

you need one of these :D

Attached Files:

5. amnon

amnon Junior Member

Any chance one can order a matching seat from Europe?
    Any possible mod to the seat bracket to make this mod cheap and not repace the seat?

6. Raider

Raider New Member

The link wasn't working but I think you are looking for this file;

[attachmentid=12338]

Attached Files:

7. amnon

amnon Junior Member

On my blackberry now...
    But I think I stumbled on this one (is that the one that canibalizes a Corolla seat?)
    I'll read that tomorrow...
    I am hoping for a bracket I can buy, take some bolts off, install the new bracket and the seat on that, for a resulting 1-2 inches lower seat.
    A bonus would be to have some mechanism to adjust the height, but just some installation height options would be good too.
    Bottom line - I want to lower the seat 1-2 inches. There is space under the seat, which hopefully means a replacement bracket is feasible.
    Any Toyota shop or dealer that wants to comment?

8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Nov 5 2007, 04:01 PM) [snapback]535058[/snapback]</div>
    I do not know what this picture actually represents but , is it a seat height adjuster from another Toyota model?

By the way, as an experiment, I lowered the front seats ( passenger's and driver's) by about 1.5" by the rear of the seats and added a wedge of some more foam in the front upper section of the seat.

If you are for it and have access to heavy duty tools or have the budget to paid some one to do it for you, here is a short of the task:

Seats need to be dismantled complete, have to cut part of the steel frame, arc or tig welds as required, grind excess and smooth joints, re-lubricate the rail tracks, install upholstery and re-install inside of the car.

Some pictures.......

Bare seat frame

[attachmentid=12339]

shaved support

[attachmentid=12340]

dry fitting

[attachmentid=12341]

welded mechanicals

[attachmentid=12342]

grinded areas

[attachmentid=12343]

slitted seat front and foam wedge

[attachmentid=12344]

final front support elevation

[attachmentid=12345]

The final results of the project, my butt is about 1.5 inches lower and my legs, under my knees about 2 inches higher. Displacement of the seat on the rail tracks is unchanged, having the same travel and with out disturbing any equipment under my 2 seats.

I'm keeping the left over pieces of the seats frame as a memoir of another uncomfortable times and also for "Show and Tell" of the mod.

Attached Files:

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how much lower does the seat go with that adjustment? does it really help?

10. ToddWess

ToddWess New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mtissington @ Aug 10 2007, 11:16 PM) [snapback]493870[/snapback]</div>
    I am 6'2" as well, and I know it can be a tight fit. However, if you put the seat all the way back, and pitch the back of the seat SLIGHTLY, it can be done.

I know it sounds silly, but I actually practiced getting in and out and finding the right place. I'm quite comfortable driving, and getting in and out of the car now.

You know, if I were to lower the seat 2" it would change the visibility as well. You have to admit, as tall folk we have good visibility! :)

Todd

11. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Nov 5 2007, 09:11 PM) [snapback]535306[/snapback]</div>

Very interesting. I looked at this a few months ago, but did not think it could easily be done because of the congestion in that area.

The support that you modified is where the seat belt bolts to the frame on the inboard side (I think). Is there anything mounted in the hole on the outboard side?

I'm thinking that a similar mod could be done by fabricating a bracket to replace the support on both sides instead of cutting the original.

12. amnon

amnon Junior Member

I wonder - doesn't anyone have contacts in Europe so that we can import the bracket/mechanism from there?

13. prius2go

prius2go Member

Here is a photo of the seat adjuster
    It's an interesting mechanism
    from maximum both front and rear lower together for the first 15mm
    then only the back drops
    so the range
    on the front to the top of the plastic moulding is 140mm-155mm
    on the rear to the top of the plastic moulding is 250mm-310mm

Attached Files: