1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible to make all windows AUTO UP/DOWN?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Brian, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I want to be able to make all the windows roll up and down automatically. Whenever I am driving with all the windows down, and my phone rings, I have to hold them all up for a long time, instead of just giving all of them a quick lift up.

Is it possible to buy 3 more of the Driver window buttons and install them into the other three and make it "AUTO UP/DOWN" possible? Or any other way for that matter.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. prius04

prius04 New Member

Auto up can be dangerous. The driver window has a safety feature that when the window hits something the window stops going up.

Just imagine a kids finger or worse, a neck in a window that has auto up without that safety feature?

Before even considering trying to install one, check to see if the other 3 windows have this safety feature. I doubt they do since the reason for the added safety feature is the auto-up capability.

I suspect that they will work if they are available since it's only a function of the "switch". But it will only work where the switch is. So they would all have to be in the drivers door in order for them to be valuable to you. But I suspect they are LARGER than regular switches so I might guess that they won't all fit.

In any case, I doubt they will be worth the cost and bother.

3. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I am the only person who uses my Prius, so auto up/down would be very useful on all four windows. When the car is parked in the sun it's useful to roll all the windows down for a few minutes an then roll them up before turning on the air conditioner.

My wife's Scion only has auto down on the driver's window.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Someone's going to have to reference the manual for the direct quote, but I got a chuckle when I was reading about the driver's window auto-up feature and the safety. It's something like, "The window will automatically stop if it senses something in the way such as a hand. Please don't test this." :lol:

5. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

I'd really like this as well, and was wondering the same thing. However, I'm not completely convinced that the swich is all that needs changing. There may be something in the motor that shuts itself off when it senses the resistance from the window frame.

I had a car that had auto up/down on all windows and was great.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I had a look in the electrical manual and it appears that the auto function is in the swithch Probably a current sensor and reverse function when it senses a certian amp load. Without pulling the door panel off and checking with an ammeter and volt meter in the circuit, I can't confirm. But I don't see a strain gauge circiut in the motor. But it's possible there is and not shown in the wiring diagram.

7. prius04

prius04 New Member

I already tried stopping the driver's side window with my hand back when I first bought the car. I put my hand in at the halfway point and was successful but it took quite a bit of pressure.

I did it in such a way that I had plenty of time to get my hand out if I was not successful.

You could test the other windows with a pillow or something soft like that. Put it in the window, hold the up button until it squeezes and if you sense that the squeezing is getting pretty significant without the cut out, then we probably don't have it in the other windows.

If someone finds out that these switches are available and that the cut out is also present, I might be interested. But only if the cut out is present.

However, I still think the cost would outweigh the benefit. These swtches can't be that cheap.

And thanks to Frank for looking that stuff up for us.

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I rather stupidly let the driver's window clamp down on my hand when I tested the auto-reverse. It didn't hurt, but if it had been having a bad day and forgot to reverse, I'd be called Lefty now...

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I have the wiring diagram, and the master switch is more of an ECU. There are 6 wires going from it to the driver window motor assembly, only 2 of them go to the motor itself, the rest are for the jam sensor. If I remember the system description in the repair manual, it is an optical sensor, much like garage doors do, that detect when the drive gear is not moving fast enough. It also detects the lower and upper limit of the window travel. This is why you have to go through a procedure to recalibrate the stop points when you kill 12V power.

So, no, you couldn't just 'add a switch'. You would have to re-engineer each window motor assembly, remote switch, and the master switch.

10. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

I really didn't think it would be that simple, or everyone would do it.

11. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I can suggest a window module that is usually added onto an aftermarket alarm to control windows up and down from the remote. I've done this to my cars in the past and they are really convenient.

They have a safety cutout limit that will shut-off the window going up if there is an object (your hand) in the way. Plus you could have auto-up AND auto-down on all four windows.

I can recommend DEI products. Get a 720T for 4 windows up and down control.

Installing them is pulling door panels and testing motor wires and switch wires, etc. Not for the inexperienced, but a stereo shop could get the job done. I do miss these features from my other cars of the past.